• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

"Tough Target" - Street Smart Guide to Staying Safe

It would be really great to get some training in this area, though.In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of staying smart and safe in today's world, especially when traveling alone. Detective J.J. Bittenbinder, a retired homicide detective, has developed a program called "Tough Target" to help people develop a plan for personal safety. He emphasizes the importance of being a "tough target" and not appearing weak to potential attackers. The conversation also mentions the idea of having Detective Bittenbinder speak at a conference and the potential interest in this topic among consultants.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
The forwarding of alarming e-mails, that may or may not have basis in truth, has prompted warnings for you to all stay smart. What exactly does that mean? A man I met several years ago puts it this way: "You gotta play it like you're alone out there. You gotta play it like there are no police. You are responsible for yourself to yourself ... and you gotta have a plan."He's Detective J.J. Bittenbinder, retired after 23 years with the Chicago Police Department, many of those years as a homicide detective. He has developed a program entitled, "Tough Target - A Street Smart Way to Stay Safe."
http://b3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01347/38/65/1347075683_m.jpgDet. Bittenbinder made a dinner speech for me several years ago and it was probably the most important talk I've ever heard. I have his book, Tough Target, which you can get at Amazon or your local bookstore.You can read the basics of Street Smarts at this web site. J.J. Bittenbinder says there are four steps to personal safety:
  1. Have a plan
  2. Deny privacy
  3. Attract attenton
  4. Take action!
What you will learn here is that bad guys, like any preditor, prey on the weak, just as a lion looks for the animal that has broken from the pack. If a bad guy senses that you are not weak, but that you are a tough target, he'll pass you for a weaker, easier target.You need a plan - the "goof" has a plan for you so you need a plan for the goof. Let J.J. help you develop a plan and you, too, can be a "Tough Target."(Wouldn't you love to see J.J. at conference? I sure would!)

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that. And, yes, considering that most of us do shows at night, in unfamiliar areas, it would be a great idea to have someone like him at conference.

He gives a GREAT presentation! I was co-chair of a huge event for singles about 15 years ago. I contracted with him to do a 40 minute talk, because 1) that's about all the longer people can sit in banquet hall chairs before they get fidgity and 2) we had other things to do that night.After an hour, he looked at his watch and said, "Gee, you folks have other things to do tonight, so I'll wrap this up." He talked for another 45 minutes - the room was dead silent and there was not one person to stand and leave. He is riveting!

I would think that the moustache would be enough to keep people riveted!:D

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
He gives a GREAT presentation! I was co-chair of a huge event for singles about 15 years ago. I contracted with him to do a 40 minute talk, because 1) that's about all the longer people can sit in banquet hall chairs before they get fidgity and 2) we had other things to do that night.

After an hour, he looked at his watch and said, "Gee, you folks have other things to do tonight, so I'll wrap this up." He talked for another 45 minutes - the room was dead silent and there was not one person to stand and leave. He is riveting!
Belinda Ellsworht talks about doing something like this as part of a recruiting/booking event because everyone is concerned about safety.

He's the guy to do it - he's not cheap but he's worth every nickel!

Definately good advice---you're just a wealth of information KG:)

Interesting phenomenon...A thread with blood and gore gets thousands of views...a thread spreading fear and paranoia based on an urban myth gets hundreds of views, but here's a thread with a solution to personal security for everyone and it's virtually ignored.

This is definitely a topic on which we could ALL use advice or reminders.

I always carry a "goof" money clip!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Interesting phenomenon...

A thread with blood and gore gets thousands of views...a thread spreading fear and paranoia based on an urban myth gets hundreds of views, but here's a thread with a solution to personal security for everyone and it's virtually ignored.

Interesting indeed:rolleyes: I think I missed the blood & gore though.....darn!

Good advice, KG. I travel around a lot by myself. Reminders of how to be smart and safe are always helpful. Thanks.

Blood and gore??? Where??? I missed it

Last edited:
KG--you should forward this idea to the HO. I know there are times that my DH was hesitant when I would book shows in certain neighborhoods. Thankfully, I haven't had any problems yet.

It would be really great to get some training in this area, though.

I think a LOT of consultants would really appreciate this as a topic at conference!

PS: I didn't ignore it! I've been WORKING! Yes I do that sometimes!

luvs2sellit said:
Blood and gore??? Where??? I missed it
I'm not telling. If you missed it, you were fortunate to have done so.

DebbieJ said:
KG--you should forward this idea to the HO. I know there are times that my DH was hesitant when I would book shows in certain neighborhoods. Thankfully, I haven't had any problems yet.

It would be really great to get some training in this area, though.
BethCooks4U said:
I think a LOT of consultants would really appreciate this as a topic at conference!
I agree. A few more positve posts and I will do so. The '07 conference is probably cast in concrete by this time but there's always '08.

Okay, put me on the "I'd definitely go to that seminar" list.

If nothing else, get a copy of his book.

This is great info! Thanks for sharing! :D

Just read what's online (the link)...GOOD info! I think I'll order the book, too.
If he was to be at conference, I would attend his presentation too. I think a lot of people really don't think about the danger that lurks out there in this crazy world we live in. My kids and I know where all the sex offenders in our town live...and what they look like...and I think that his book would be great brush up info for my family. Thanks for the info, KG!! A+ for you!!

I will get the book and I'd LOVE to hear him speak... I'd love for my 6 daughters to hear him as well. Thanks SO much for posting this. I've not been on as much as I want to be... seems I have this life... rats... but anyway.. .thanks again!

I"m bumping this thread because everyone here needs to read this...it's not funny..but necessary for everyone!

He would be a great speaker to get at a college! Imagine how many incidents he could help prevent if he spoke to every college kid in America!

You can get him - there is a speakers' agency in Chicago that represents him.

I'm bumping this ancient thread because J.J. came up in conversation earlier today. Interesting that this thread happened in March - more than three months before Paige disappeared.We all need to be more aware of our surroundings - at all times.

I plan on looking at this thread (it is 2 am and I am having problems sleeping) at a later time when I can take it all in.

Even though I live in "the boondocks" I still fear, as a female, going for walks and traveling alone. I feel restricted and that I am missing out on life. Maybe it is a phobia, but I think this site could benefit me and others. Looking forward to viewing it.

Thanks, KG!

I briefly worked on an ambulance crew when I was just out of high school. We picked up an woman who was abducted while getting into her car on her lunch break. She never saw it coming and she didn't do anything wrong. She simply turned to place items on her passenger seat...that distraction was all it took. So, while I believe in believing in the basic good of others, I also believe in always having a plan and staying aware of what is going on around you.

Sorry, don't mean to start a thread of testamonies, but I was young at the time and it left a mark on me. I can still remember the look of despair in her eyes.

You're exactly right, Leggy - J.J. says that the goof has a plan, so you have to have a plan, too. And you have to look like you're too smart to be a victim. The goof will avoid someone who looks like a tough target - and you have to be aware of what is going on around you.

Bumping as this is IMPORTANT info!!!

In light of the other thread running near the top, I'm going to bump J.J. back up to the top, too!

Kitchen Guy, thanks for this information!

Thanks, Kitchen Guy! JJ sounds like an interesting speaker, to be sure! Maybe Conference would benefit from having someone like him, if not as a keynote speaker, at least as a workshop speaker for those who are interested!

Unfortunately, too many of us NEED this kind of info in today's world!

Stay safe, everyone! Stay aware!!

Blessings,
Paula

You're all welcome - this is a very important topic for all of us, and I always thought we would all be more interested since Paige disappeared.Write to HO if you would like to see J.J. at conference. They're already tired of hearing from me about it! :D

Fancy BUMPING into you all on this thread!

With the recent thread about theft, I though it would be a good idea to bump this thread so that newer members can see the info in post 1 and take action.http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb315/chefann1138/smilies/bump.gif

chefann said:
With the recent thread about theft, I though it would be a good idea to bump this thread so that newer members can see the info in post 1 and take action.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb315/chefann1138/smilies/bump.gif

I'm glad you did this, while I feel I am pretty aware of my surrounding most of the time it's good to be reminded to have a plan. I think this would be a great thing at conference for 2009. Don't know if you managed to get him for 2008, I didn't make it but will be there next year!! I would never have seen this if it wasn't bumped so kudos to you.

I didn't see this way back when....so I'm glad this got "bumped". Very good info indeed.

Bumping...would attend at conference!

He's also been on Oprah several times, although I haven't seen him on there very much in the last few years.
He always has great advice and it really "sticks" with you...I had thought about this and what he says during Christmas shopping and going out to the parking lots, etc.

Don't park next to a van, etc. all very good tips!

The television show was an experiment. There were only three episodes made and that was almost 15 years ago. In the mean time, J.J., who is retired after 23 years with the Chicago Police Department, many of them as a homicide detective, has made a career of speaking to groups all over the country and he is a liaison officer with the Cook County Sheriff's Department.

Here ya go, Laurie - a bump
bump-1.gif
just for you. ;)

(And for everyone else who needs this info!)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Here ya go, Laurie - a bump
bump-1.gif
just for you. ;)

(And for everyone else who needs this info!)

Thanks KG....I feel all warm and fuzzy! One day, I'm gonna be as cool :cool: as you! ;)

Since the topic came up again, I think it might be time for a
1-1.gif

Related to "Tough Target" - Street Smart Guide to Staying Safe

1. What is the "Tough Target" program and who developed it?

The "Tough Target" program is a street smart way to stay safe and it was developed by Detective J.J. Bittenbinder, a retired 23-year veteran of the Chicago Police Department.

2. What does it mean to "play it like you're alone out there" and why is it important?

Playing it like you're alone out there means taking personal responsibility for your own safety and having a plan in place to protect yourself. It is important because it helps you stay aware of your surroundings and be prepared for potential threats.

3. What are the four steps to personal safety according to Detective J.J. Bittenbinder?

The four steps to personal safety are: having a plan, denying privacy, attracting attention, and taking action. These steps help individuals be more aware and prepared for potential danger.

4. How can being a "tough target" help keep you safe?

Being a "tough target" means appearing strong and confident, making you less likely to be targeted by criminals who look for weaker victims. It also involves having a plan in place to protect yourself and being aware of your surroundings.

5. Where can I learn more about the "Tough Target" program?

You can read the basics of Street Smarts on the official "Tough Target" website. You can also find Detective J.J. Bittenbinder's book, "Tough Target," on Amazon or at your local bookstore. Additionally, attending a conference where Detective Bittenbinder speaks would be a great opportunity to learn more about the program.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
pamperedlinda
  • minirottie
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefa
  • KellyTheChef
  • General Chat
Replies