• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Kind of Odd to Congratulate Self...but...

In summary, Janet became a Lieutenant on her fire department after years of hard work and dedication. She faces some skepticism from her fellow firefighters, but is proud of her accomplishment. Her main role is health and safety, and she is looking forward to starting her new job.
janetupnorth
Gold Member
So, it's kind of odd to start this myself, but unless I tell you guys, you wouldn't know. :)

I told a few this was in the works, but anyway...

I made Lieutenant on our Fire Department - official as of Chief's announcement last night.

Only took me 8 years! (Of course, I will always have to prove myself...many Fire Departments are and will for a long time continue to be a boy's club). I am a little proud of it due to that since it is a hard thing to do, and a little apprehensive in the same sense because I get scrutinized more than the "average member". I also sometimes get to less firefighting calls because DH is a Lieutenant already and figures he HAS to be there so he takes off and I have to stay with the kids.

Anyway, I am Health and Safety Lieutenant meaning other than Firefighting and EMS, my main role as Lieutenant is the Health and Safety of our members and public education. Volunteer Departments always struggle with recruitment, retention and keeping members fit. It is a tough role because there are things we HAVE to do by law, things we SHOULD do to stay healthy and fit, but good luck getting VOLUNTEERS motivated to do that. :rolleyes:

So, wish me luck...I'll need it!

That's awesome, Janet!! Congratulations!!!! That sounds like an amazing accomplishment.:)

Congrats and good luck Janet that is awsome.

janetupnorth said:
So, it's kind of odd to start this myself, but unless I tell you guys, you wouldn't know. :)

I told a few this was in the works, but anyway...

I made Lieutenant on our Fire Department - official as of Chief's announcement last night.

Only took me 8 years! (Of course, I will always have to prove myself...many Fire Departments are and will for a long time continue to be a boy's club). I am a little proud of it due to that since it is a hard thing to do, and a little apprehensive in the same sense because I get scrutinized more than the "average member". I also sometimes get to less firefighting calls because DH is a Lieutenant already and figures he HAS to be there so he takes off and I have to stay with the kids.

Anyway, I am Health and Safety Lieutenant meaning other than Firefighting and EMS, my main role as Lieutenant is the Health and Safety of our members and public education. Volunteer Departments always struggle with recruitment, retention and keeping members fit. It is a tough role because there are things we HAVE to do by law, things we SHOULD do to stay healthy and fit, but good luck getting VOLUNTEERS motivated to do that. :rolleyes:

So, wish me luck...I'll need it!

How did your first day go Lieut.?

Congratulations Janet! What an accomplishment! Good luck to you :)

Congrats !!!! Janet that is awesome and it isn't odd you starting your own thread cause like you said we wouldn't know unless you tell us about your wonderful success :):)

Kitchen Diva said:
How did your first day go Lieut.?

Well, I had to work my REAL job of course, but I did sneak in a few e-mails to plan some literature for recruiting at our FD picnic, a little reading of Comm30 on the annual Health and Safety requirements, plans for our necessary bi-annual safety meetings at least, request for the NFPA standards to catch up on more of that, and talked to our training officer about working with him on some things.

Good thing I type fast! ;) I did manage to cram a sandwich down in between that!

Janet...glad you made it public (well, public to everyone else on here!)

We are all proud of you!

(Good thing I type fast! I did manage to cram a sandwich down in between that!)

Hmmmm...not a good way to teach people about eating healthy!!:rolleyes: :D

BUT...CONGRATS!!! You'll be fine too bad DH might grovel(sp?) a bit...;)

Congrats!! Be proud of yourself!!!
Nicole

Ginger428 said:
(Good thing I type fast! I did manage to cram a sandwich down in between that!)

Hmmmm...not a good way to teach people about eating healthy!!:rolleyes: :D

BUT...CONGRATS!!! You'll be fine too bad DH might grovel(sp?) a bit...;)

Don't worry, before I would accept it on my end, I wanted to make sure DH was fully supportive of me doing it, the time I need to spend on it and supportive of me in the position.

I wouldn't want it if my husband can't respect and support me in the role.

He said he would...so I took it!

We'll see how life goes!

Congrats Janet - obviously the roast paid off :) I know you will do a fabulous job - you will whip those boys (and ladies) into shape!

Congrats Janet, I'm so happy for you!!

I just saw a new article on how hard volunteer fire departments are having finding volunteers. They are claiming it's due to the economy.

GourmetGirl said:
Congrats Janet - obviously the roast paid off :)

I know you will do a fabulous job - you will whip those boys (and ladies) into shape!

No, that was a last-minute thing to fill in for who was scheduled to do it. This was already set. ;)

Of course, I got all good compliments on dinner and how good it was...and a few wondering why my DH doesn't weigh 300 lbs. right now. :D

pampchefrhondab said:
Congrats Janet, I'm so happy for you!!

I just saw a new article on how hard volunteer fire departments are having finding volunteers. They are claiming it's due to the economy.

Interesting...I think it is a common thing...always hard to get and retain in volunteer service...

If you find that or have a web-link, shoot it over to me, it'd be an interesting read.

Congratulations, Janet! That's an awesome accomplishment! Don't ever feel "funny" about telling us great things like this! We're your friends and we're proud of you!!

Congrats to you.
My DH was a firefighter for 8 years until he decided to do something else. But he still volunteers and he loves it. They are like his second family.

Congratulations on your promotion, Lieutenant Janet! :balloon:

Our fire department has a conbination of paid and volunteer officers. Thank God for them all!!

Congratulations, Janet! We are served by a volunteer fire department. We had a small chimney fire several years ago. We were glad to have those wonderful men and women available to help.Note to others: Check to see if there is a volunteer fire department near you. If so, they probably do fundraisers. Participate if you can. It's a great way to thank them and to help them continue to help the community.

Congratulations Janet!!! You should be very proud!

I'm going to post a thread on a revised EQ Survival tips I would love to know what you think. It's new to me as I have always known the opposite.

That is awesome Janet. Congratulations.

You go girl!! Congrats Janet :)

I was a supervisor for UPS. I can totally relate to the "boys club". I think it makes the promotion that much sweeter...you know how hard you worked for it. Savor the moment!

Mazel Tov!!!!!

Congrates Janet! Way to go!

Congratulations, Janet! Way to go!

Whoo hoo!!!!
Congrats Janet!!
You'll be the coolest Lieutenant ever!
If you are just half as helpful to them ,as you are to us, they are in great hands.
Best wishes on your new promotion.

That's awesome! Congrats!
God bless,
Amanda

CoNgRaTs!!! Way to go!! I am so happy to hear about your promotion!!

My father was a firefighter since he was in high school then due to medical reasons he had to quit about 8 years ago. He held multiple roles w/ the fire dept during his time. Now he is the Chief of the Ambulance Association. My brother runs w/ both the fire dept and ambulance association. I LOVE to give props to those who so willingly sacrifice their time and lives to help the rest of us!! Kudos to you!!!

janetupnorth said:
Don't worry, before I would accept it on my end, I wanted to make sure DH was fully supportive of me doing it, the time I need to spend on it and supportive of me in the position.

I wouldn't want it if my husband can't respect and support me in the role.

He said he would...so I took it!

We'll see how life goes!

Thats GREAT...then you're all set!!!:D

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_34.gif

CONGRATULATIONS.....DOING THE HAPPY DANCE FOR YA!

Go Janet GO Janet!!!!

Congratulations Janet :)

You go girl! It's always nice to see a woman doing so well in this manly world we live in.

CONGRATS!!

What great news! You rock! Congratulations. :)

Congrats, you go girl!!!

Congrats :D

:sing: Fantastic Janet!!! :thumbup:Congratulations!:thumbup:

Congrats Janet!! Awesome and how excited. Well deserved I'm sure!

Congrats!! I don't know how you have time to do it all!

You will be the BEST they've ever had in this position!:thumbup:

Wow you are quite the busy woman! Congrats and Good luck with it!

Congrats-- GR8 job!

1. What is the significance of being a Lieutenant on the Fire Department?

Becoming a Lieutenant on the Fire Department is a highly respected achievement. It means that the individual has shown dedication, hard work, and leadership skills to earn this rank. It is a great honor and responsibility.

2. How long did it take you to become a Lieutenant?

It took me 8 years to become a Lieutenant on the Fire Department. This is a testament to the dedication and hard work required for this position.

3. What challenges do you face as a female in a traditionally male-dominated field?

As a female in the Fire Department, I face the challenge of proving myself and overcoming stereotypes. It can be tough to gain the respect and trust of my peers, but I am determined to do my job to the best of my abilities.

4. What are your main responsibilities as a Health and Safety Lieutenant?

As a Health and Safety Lieutenant, my main responsibilities include ensuring the well-being of our members and educating the public on safety measures. I also work towards recruitment, retention, and keeping members fit.

5. What do you hope to achieve as a Health and Safety Lieutenant?

I hope to make a positive impact in our Fire Department by promoting a healthy and safe environment for our members. I also hope to increase public awareness and education on safety measures to prevent accidents and emergencies.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• janetupnorth
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
  • janetupnorth
  • General Chat
Replies