• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Tips for Organizing a Successful Craft or Vendor Fair - Expert Advice

In summary, it is a lot of work to put on a craft or vendor fair, but it can be well worth it if you have the time and money to invest. You will need to spend some money on advertising, and it is helpful to have a lead list of other DS cons to advertise at. You should also make agreements with your vendors clarifying expectations and make deadlines clear. Lastly, collect all fees upfront to avoid any problems later.
soinlove808
Has anyone ever organized some sort of fair themselves... a craft fair or a vendor fair? I was thinking of doing this but not sure how to go about it.. any info would be great!

Yes! Do you have a lot of contacts that are vendors? Contact them and tell them to pass the word. Also mention it in any emails you send to customers. Find a space. Depending if you plan to do something small (just a few) or larger (20+) will affect where you go. The vendors split the cost and be sure to collect before to secure their spot b/c people get sick or never pay and there is no need for you to deal with that. Also, you may want to advertise in the paper and you split the cost for any of that as well. In fact, we usually over charge to be sure to cover everything and then refund the day of. That way we don't get stuck paying the extra or whatever.It's a lot of work (coordinating everyone) but if it works, you'll have a good list for next time!

I agree these events are alot of work and if it's a new event you will need to spend some money on signs and advertising.

I would do some checking into these costs and figure out all your expenses.
It also does help if you already have a lead list for other DS cons. although you can also advertise for this or try cafe mom (the online comunity) most other companies can advertise online and I have found alot of local cons. there.
Make up an agreement that outlines your expectations. EX: vendors will provide table coverings and must be draped to the floor. Make deadlines clear. Make everyone pay upfront!

Good luck!

thank you for the info.. keep it comming!

bumping...

I live in WI and I just did a womens expo that was a first event in our county. It was a lot of work. However if you have the time it is well worth it. I had over 75 vendors, plus gave 10 free space for non-profit organizations that did some type of fundraiser to raise funds and awareness. I spent over $8000 in advertising. However, it could be done for much less on a smaller scale.
Because of this event I am now locked into doing events for 5 malls in 2 states and I was invited to speak at a womens entrepreneurial group. This has also increased my PC business as well.
I say vendor fairs/bridal fairs are the way to go. We have a 93% vendor return rate for the 2008 Expo.
Email me if you have any ?'s I will be happy to help/ There are some very inexpensive ways to advertise that are very effective.

Wow! I've done several on a small scale (about 25 or so booths) with advertising, but I think we charged about $15-20 per booth to pay for the space & advertising. I can't imagine having to charge $100 even though I do participate in a very well established one and pay about $70. Of course, I had at least 150 people stop at my booth...at least that's how many postcards I actually gave to people.

I also do an annual fundraiser for a cancer support in our area. That's a great way to gain business, get FREE advertising and help a great cause.

How great that this has led to more business for you!

The first time I did this was to gain contacts as I had moved into a new area. New area meant I also did not know any other DS consultants. So I started at the DS companies websites and asked for refferalls for consultants in my new area. Then I contacted the consultants directly. For some DS companies there were multipul cunsultants in my area, I would send an email out to each of them explaining what I was planning and asked if they would be interested in participating. First to respond and pay the fee got the booth.

I have done 2 a year now for the past 2 years. I am luck to have access to a large cubhouse and outdoor area that we can use for free. So all I charge is $5 per consultant to pay for the advertising. I also ask each consultant to donate 1 item with a value of $10. We use these as door prizes. We award several an hour, customers need not be present to win, which is why we need valid emails or phone numbers to contact winners. The consultant who donated the prize has the option to deliver it, if they would like the extra chance to conatct someone in person. I have made up special door prize slips that list all the companies in attendance and let the customer check off which ones they would like more info from. All door prize slip information is shared with all consultants.

So far it seems to work.
Good luck to you with yours!
Lori Lynn

Lori-do you find that those door prize slips work? I tried to do this at my last fundraiser and the people handing them out weren't very good at making sure people did it. Do you have them fill out a full door prize slip for every entry??

I did my first multi-vendor Holiday Open House this past November

I just asked the few vendors I did know about other vendors and I charged them a small fee each - I split the cost of the room with each vendors and ask for two donations - 1 gift for about $4 or $5 for the hourly drawing and then 1 gift about $10 - $12 for the Grand Door Prize.

Everything went very well - I am planning the next one right now - just looking for a warmer place this time

Here is the door prize slip I used - it was great.

:chef:

Attachments

• Door Prize Slips 001 - Multi Vendor.doc
    28.5 KB · Views: 467
Very nice...the prob with mine is there were more than 20 vendors!!

I just joined a Direct Selling Network group and we meet once per month at a members home. The host each month does her presentation. Each member is required to bring 2 guests and spend a minimum of $40.

We just started and have only had one meeting, but I am confident this will be a great help to my business - bringing new customers and getting great tips, tricks and presentation techniques from other DS consultants.

You might look into starting something like this in your area, or joining an existing group.

Jules711 said:
Lori-do you find that those door prize slips work? I tried to do this at my last fundraiser and the people handing them out weren't very good at making sure people did it. Do you have them fill out a full door prize slip for every entry??

We do not make filling out a door prize slip a requirement of attending the event. They only fill one out if they want to enter the drawing for the prizes. We have about 75% of folks that attend do fill them out though. And of the 75% that fill them out approx 50% of them end up checking one or more of the boxes requesting more info from vendors. Which hopefully makes it a solid lead for someone as opposed to just a cold call.

Hope that answers it for you,
Lori Lynn

Thanks. Actually, ours were RAFFLES not door prizes. It was a fundraiser. So we had tickets for them to fill out. I wanted them to first fill out the "door prize slip" once and then fill out the tickets (simple info). Nice in theory but didn't work out. I usually do a drawing at my booth too. Thanks for the info!!

To be honest, I have not had much luck at fairs. I spent $75 for a health fair last summer and honestly, most of the contacts did not even leave their phone #. The fair was not in a good location and most of the traffic was just the other vendors walking around.

I did do really well at a festival in my area. I got like 7 bookings and a few individual orders from it. Not to mention, the contacts!!

Hopefully, you will have better luck than I have. I wish you lots of luck!

bumping...

i'd like to see more info on this one.

Thanks for all the wonderful info... I AM going to do my own, because all the ones here already have pc reps. and i want to get into that market.. so keep the info coming...

lori lynn, Can you send me some more info please... like what was the letter you sent to get the ds cons, and did you have a contract?

more info?Does any one have any more info?

I was going to start a thread about starting a fair myself. What type of places did you look into having an event at? Did you call your mall? Did you use a church or what? Sorry I am trying to do something like this but am not sure where to go to start the work. Thanks.
Sarah

We have it a local banquet hall. There are three in my town. One is only
$100 for so that's pretty good when you have 25 consultants or so.

Try a local park, too. Some, like ours, have community rooms that you can book, around $100 as well.

Good luck with it!

Paula

I have also used a meeting room at my local hotel.
Check local schools you can go thru community education.
Do you have a local gym that has a basketbal court? Our gym does and a local organization has a womens expo there every year.

you need to set very specific rules for your vendors. When registration needs to be in..... I suggest having a "no early tear down" Clause or get a deposit that they will get back if they stay till the end.

I got a good idea about signs from a fellow PC cons who organized an event recently. Each vendor had to make 2 signs and were told where arround town to put them.

Having signs and advertising will also help vendors to not complain that you did not do enough if the event is poorly attended.

HTH...

Last edited:
How do you determine how much you charge each vendor? How did you go about getting vendors? Did you advertise to get vendors? Just trying to see what all I would have to do to get vendors once I find a space.

Sarah

1. What are some tips for promoting a craft or vendor fair?

To effectively promote a craft or vendor fair, you can use a combination of traditional and digital marketing methods. Some ideas include creating flyers and posters to hang in local businesses, using social media platforms to reach a wider audience, and reaching out to local media outlets for potential coverage. You can also offer incentives for attendees, such as a raffle or special discounts for certain vendors.

2. How can I attract a diverse range of vendors to participate in the fair?

To attract a diverse range of vendors, you can reach out to different communities and groups to spread the word about the fair. This can include reaching out to local craft or business organizations, posting in online groups or forums related to crafting or selling, and networking with other vendors to see if they know of any interested parties. Offering affordable booth fees and a well-organized event can also entice vendors to participate.

3. What are some tips for setting up the layout of the fair?

When setting up the layout of the fair, it is important to consider the flow of foot traffic and make sure that vendors are evenly spaced out. You may also want to group similar vendors together to make it easier for attendees to find what they are looking for. Additionally, make sure there is enough space for vendors to display their products and for attendees to comfortably move around.

4. How can I ensure a successful and smooth check-in process for vendors?

To ensure a successful and smooth check-in process for vendors, make sure to communicate all necessary information and deadlines clearly in advance. This can include details about load-in and load-out times, booth assignments, and any required permits or licenses. Having a designated point of contact for vendors to ask questions or address any issues can also help streamline the check-in process.

5. What are some ways to keep attendees engaged and interested throughout the fair?

To keep attendees engaged and interested throughout the fair, you can offer interactive activities or demonstrations, such as DIY workshops or cooking demonstrations. You can also schedule live music or entertainment to add to the atmosphere. Offering food and drinks can also keep attendees on-site longer. Additionally, consider having a raffle or other prizes to keep attendees excited and encourage them to visit different booths.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Chef Bobby
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • dldunphy
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • manderyoder