• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

theOfficial Hijacking Threads Hijack Thread

In summary, many people are complaining about the way threads get hijacked and morph into something completely unrelated to the original thread title. Some say it's just the way normal conversation flows and topics change as one topic reminds speakers of another. Others say thread hijacking is an awful thing and it is terribly annoying. Well, this thread is going to stay on topic: thread hijacking! Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
  • #3,151
It's funny, considering he bought his first Lincoln from a retired minister in Storm Lake, IA, while he was living in the Detroit area (as we still do, ha ha). It wasn't running, so he had it shipped home.That was much more than 170 miles!

• #3,152
I actually drove about that far to look at a Model A several years ago - there was one of those Chinese Lincolns there, too. The Lincoln was better than the Model A but neither one was worth the drive. Of course, had I not made the drive, I never would have known that fact.

• #3,153
I find all kinds of interesting stuff when I'm out and about.The famous Lincoln we've been discussing...
IM005555.jpg
A rare Edsel station wagon...
IM004195.jpg
A Model A blindback sedan...
IM003497.jpg
And a good ol' Ford pick-'em-up truck with lots of potential...
IM004750.jpg

• #3,154
I went to a gathering of friends last night to celebrate a birthday. It's a group of mixed nuts of differing backgrounds and beliefs. It was all going pretty well until someone felt the uncontrollable urge to make a statement about politics.Now, I don't mind someone having a differing viewpoint, if it is educated and well thought out. This moron blurted out something based on his emotions, not logic, not based in any fact, just the way he felt about something.A cold wave swept through the room and, as difficult as it was for me, I kept my mouth shut. Someone changed the subject and got things rolling again but the rest of the evening was never quite the same.Why must people do that?

• #3,155
Some people feel compelled to share their opinion without considering how others in the room will react, and without stopping to think whether it's a well-constructed opinion, either. That's why I try to NEVER talk politics or religion (besides that fact that I'd be the one with the inadequately informed opinions on those subjects).

That stinks that it put a damper on your gathering, tho.

• #3,156
Opinionated: A person who holds an opinion differing from yours.This guy is a retired hippie, he never really outgrew the 1960's and thinks the rest of us should still be protesting Viet Nam. He'd be driving a VW Microbus if they still made them.

• #3,157
I admire your restraint, KG. I'm sorry this dampened the evening.Do you remember The Golden Girls tv show? Estelle had had a stroke that damaged the part of her brain that censored speech. Sometimes I think that's a widespread phenomenon. There are just way too many people who never have an unexpressed thought.

• #3,158
There's also a phenomenon that I've noticed in some older people that they think just because they've passed the 70-year mark they can say whatever they want without consideration for others. As if they don't need to be polite any more.

• #3,159
Damn - I've got a ways to go before I can use that as an excuse.

• #3,160
Yeah- you've got quite a ways to go to hit that birthday, despite all the teasing we do about you being the old man of the forum. :)

Of course, rudeness isn't limited by age. DH just implemented a software update on his forum and hasn't had a chance to implement (or even find!) all of the mods he had installed over the old version of the software. I cannot believe how demanding people on the forum are being about silly things - even when we suggest something easy for them to do as a work-around. Someone asked when the spell-check would be back. I suggested he use Firefox, as then he'd have all his spelling checked, even on other sites. He replied, "Don't like Firefox. Where's my spell check?!?" And he also is the user who sent DH a PM about updating the link on the club site to point to the new forum. The old link still works, except that people have to click one more time to get to the new one. I think this loser doesn't have the forum bookmarked, and still goes through site #2 to get to it. (Of course, I also ticked him off by suggesting one of his threads was in the wrong area because it's about a political topic and those need to be in the "War room", not the Lounge. Putting "this is not political" in the title doesn't make it true.) :rolleyes:

• #3,161
If the guy doesn't like Firefox, he's either a major stockholder of MS or he's an idiot.

• #3,162
He's an idiot. At least he's a Mac-using idiot. But he's very self-centered (refuses to acknowledge that the majority of computer users on teh intarweb use Windows, and he doesn't know what "right-click" means, so can someone explain it?). Most of the posts by him on the forum come across as bragging, too. (He's the guy with the trailer.) One of the new features to the upgrade DH installed is an ignore list. I'd like the stats on how many people put him on ignore. :D

• #3,163
I know a couple of people around here, too, who's stats on Ignore I'd like to know.Besides me, I mean.

• #3,164
You and me - the two "talkiest" folks around here. :D Probably dozens have us on ignore. ;)

DH looked, he can't get, even as the admin, stats about ignores and buddies on his forum. I've got one person over there on my Foe list (that's the phpBB name for ignore) - a real arsehole who is actually worse in person than he is online. :eek: But I'm considering putting the jerk mentioned above on the list, too. Of course, I'm not there NEARLY as much as here. I finally hit 200 posts there yesterday. I have 3 times that in this thread alone. :)

• #3,165
I should buy that Klincoln in Antigo and join your forum.You and I could destroy it in no time at all.

• #3,166
You don't need a Lincoln to be a member of the forum.
The Lincoln Forum.Net • Index page

(The ugly bright blue is the current - temporary - default. If you sign up, you can select one of several other installed skins to display for you.)

• #3,167
I'm tellin' ya son,
You're gonna drive me to drinkin''
If you don't stop drivin'
That hot rod Lincoln.

• #3,168
yeah, yeah. I think there's a user on TLF who uses HotRodLincoln. I know there's one who's Hot Rod. What's ironic about that is that the LCOC is actually fairly anti-customization, so there are no hot rod Lincolns at the meets. Heck, "Jerk" (as discussed above) has an official custom, but because he doesn't have the original, original documentation (photocopy doesn't count, nor do interviews with execs and workers who did the custom job), he will never win a major award within the club, or even be allowed to show the car in the Custom category. He has to show in the regular category for his model and year, which causes to lose HUGE points when they do the authenticity judging, because so many things were changed on his car. Which is the reason he only shows at concours now - they fawn over him and stroke his ego. :rolleyes:

• #3,169
I wonder if I could shoehorn one of those old Zephyr V-12's into Sonja?

• #3,170
That would be pretty sweet, since I imagine Sonja weighs a lot less than a Zephyr.

• #3,171
I'd probably have to lengthen the hood and bolt the radiator in front of the headlight bar, but she'd be a legend.

When Gordon Buehrig went to work for the Duesenburg Brothers, he couldn't afford to buy the cars he was designing. He took a Model A Cabriolet (like Sonja, only a year newer) and made it into a "Baby Duesenburg' by lengthening the hood and extending the top over the "turtle," or rumbleseat, area. This looks like more work than I want to do, though.

buehrigmodela.jpg

• #3,172
My pappy said "Son, you're gonna drive me to drinkin',
if you don't stop drivin' that Hot Rod Lincoln." Have you heard the story of the hot rod race,
where the Fords 'n' Lincolns was settin' the pace?
That story is true, I'm here to say,
that I was drivin' that Model-A. It's got a Lincoln motor and it's really souped up,
that Model-A body makes it look like a pup.
It's got eight cylinders and uses 'em all,
got overdrive, just won't stall. With a four-barrel carb and a dual exhaust,
with 4-11 gears you can really get lost.
Got safety tubes but I ain't scared,
the brakes are good, tires fair...Of course...I'd never actually own a rod...

• #3,173
Every time you reference that song it makes me smile.When my DS was little, we had a retro diner in a nearby town that had the little jukeboxes at the tables. He always wanted to play that song. He couldn't keep up with the rapid patter to sing along, but he always belted out the last line. I can still picture him sitting there, listening intently, waiting for that last line.

• #3,174
Charlie Ryan recorded the song a couple of different times in the 1950's, the song was one of several hot rod songs that were written in the heyday of rockabilly way back when.Most people know the Commander Cody & The Lost Planet Airmen version from 1972.I bet no one has heard this one:WHITE FORD BRONCO by Bob Rivers
unknown writer
unknown release The TV said the Juice must have gone plumb locco,
and there's cop cars chasing a white Ford Bronco. Have you heard the story of the low-speed chase,
and the Swat Teams waitin' at OJ's place?
That story is true, it's sad to say,
I was watching the game when they cut away. He told the L.A. cops he was gonna give up,
and the media setup their satellite trucks.
Had eighteen cameras at city hall,
then OJ's lawyer began to stall. All of a sudden, in the wink of an eye,
that Bronco was spotted on 405.
On CNN and the networks three,
the flashing tailights was all you could see. Now the Rockets & Knicks were in game five,
when OJ started that fateful drive,
his four-way hazard lights were blinkin',
and no one knew what the Juice was thinkin'. Now the newsmen said he'd lost his sense,
said insanity'd be his best defense,
but they knew this show was awfully hot,
so they jockeyed around for action shots. There was psycho-analysts and personal friends,
beggin' the Juice to turn himself in,
TV copters high above,
and cops in the bushes, dressed like shrubs. Fans were cheerin' from the side of the road,
one man yellin' out "go, Juice, go."
Wavin' signs when Al pulled in,
ninety-five million people tuned in. And so they took a mug shot and threw him in jail,
Time Magazine thought he looked too pale.
Networks plannin' a brand new show,
"Cop Cars Chasing A White Ford Bronco."

• #3,175
Here's the original Charlie Ryan version - listen to the steel guitar making the sound effects!Hot Rod Lincoln

• #3,176
AJ Pratt, what kind of car did you get? Were you able to get it with your PC commissions?

• #3,177
Anne's not "bean" around much lately.

• #3,178
raebates said:
Every time you reference that song it makes me smile.

When my DS was little, we had a retro diner in a nearby town that had the little jukeboxes at the tables. He always wanted to play that song. He couldn't keep up with the rapid patter to sing along, but he always belted out the last line.

I can still picture him sitting there, listening intently, waiting for that last line.
Careful, he'll want to built a hot rod Lincoln someday.

It's rumored that Charley Ryan is still alive (he's gotta be in his 90's by now, I would think) and that he still owns the hot rod Lincoln that inspired the song. I wish I could find a photo of it for you!

• #3,179
Since he's not particularly mechanical, I doubt that's a huge threat. I'll be watching, though.

• #3,180
He could build it the same way some guys restore antique cars: Checkbook Restorations."Can you paint this for me? Good...here's a check."
"Can you put this engine in for me? Good...here's a check."
"Can you put those tires on for me? Good...here's a check.":D:D:D:D:D:D

• #3,181
He's a poor college student (good student, but low on funds). It will be a while before he can use your technique.

• #3,182
There are a LOT of people in the Lincoln club who have checkbook restorations. One of them, Stu, is a friend of DH's, and they're both running for the national board of managers this year. Stu inherited his grandfather's car. When people ask him how much time he has in it, his response is, "Let's see. Four checks at 30 seconds apiece - 2 minutes." :D

• #3,183
Sonja may not be a national prize winner, but I can proudly claim every garage bruise, polish-through, bad paint and rusted head nut as all my own.

• #3,184
That's how DH feels about his cars. Not that it wouldn't be nice to have the bucks to throw at the project.

• #3,185
I feel about my cars with my fingers.

• #3,186
I had something of vital interest I wanted to post in this thread.I can't remember what it was.So much for oxygen therapy helping memory.

• #3,187
DH took off from Fox Point about an hour ago to pick his buddy up at O'Hare for the car show. I'm here in the land of children (all 6 of my nieces and nephew on this side of the family) - HELP!!! Of course BIL can't remember the password to connect to his wireless network, but a neighbor has one that's unsecured, so I'm "borrowing" his bandwidth. :)

• #3,188
How did you manage to get across the Cheddar Curtain without a passport?

• #3,189
chefann said:
DH took off from Fox Point about an hour ago to pick his buddy up at O'Hare for the car show. I'm here in the land of children (all 6 of my nieces and nephew on this side of the family) - HELP!!! Of course BIL can't remember the password to connect to his wireless network, but a neighbor has one that's unsecured, so I'm "borrowing" his bandwidth. :)

And to think, just a few days ago you seemed so excited about vacation! It's amazing how kids change everything!

• #3,190
Where'dja go Ann?We want to hear all about Alice in Cheeseland.

• #3,191
Maybe she is off scaring the kids with ghost stories about munster in the closet.

• #3,193
My 'rents and the CO gang (sis, BIL, and their 3 daughters) took off yesterday for Madison. We just hung out the rest of the day. I got to babysit the 3 kids here while my sister and BIL were at parent orientation for school. :) Not much time to check in here - so I'm just hitting the big topics.

• #3,194
I'm in Madison.Fitchburg, actually.What a dive.

• #3,195
ChefAnn and I had a great day together yesterday - I'm worn out today as a result.TWO trips to Leon's...YUM!

• #3,196
The_Kitchen_Guy said:
ChefAnn and I had a great day together yesterday - I'm worn out today as a result.

TWO trips to Leon's...YUM!

O.k. - now I'm trying to show some restraint with the first statement...

Well, I got to have Rae and Tina (genburk) at my house yesterday for about 8 hours!!!!! We had a great time and my kids LOVED The Furry Guy... my 8yo DS keeps asking when they are coming again and when we can go visit!

• #3,197
katie0128 said:
O.k. - now I'm trying to show some restraint with the first statement...
It's good to show restraint.

We had a full day...a craft fair, a trip to the http://www.germantownchamber.org/library.html so ChefAnn could meet The Kat Lady (You're allowed to visit if you can pronounce it) a tour of Milwaukee's interesting places (okay, that doesn''t really take that long) like the http://mam.org/thebuilding/photo_gallery.htm, the pile of http://www.jsonline.com/images/enter01/oct01/wingsbig091101.jpg in front of it that masquerades as a Mark di Suvero sculpture (all of his sculptures look like piles of scrap iron,) some of the interesting architecture downtown, the transformation of Brewers' Hill, the Hoan Bridge, the dock where the high speed ferry lands, LEON'S FROZEN CUSTARD, back to the craft fair to meet up with The Kat Lady, dinner with The Kat Lady and her cousin (who was a vendor at the fair) a trip to The Kat Lady's http://www.msoe.edu/ and finished off the evening with another trip to Leon's!

Hell, I'm tired just telling you about it.

• #3,198
Wow! That was a full day... but I'm sure just a bit more enjoyable than diving.

My day went more like - get up, finish picking up the house, Rae and The Furry Guy arrive a bit before 1p and we talk. Then Tina and her DD arrive about 2:30p and we order lunch (yes, late, I know). Then we eat and talk some more. After my two DSs get home, The Furry Guys goes to play with them and Rae, Tina and I talked more and then talked and talked some more. Everyone left sometime after 8p or so! We had a great time... even without monitors and keyboards!!!

• #3,199
And then today, I went to Madison, where my sis and BIL were in the Ironman triathlon. We saw them both go past on the bike ride, although I didn't see BIL until it was too late to get a pic. Got one of sis, though. She was about 1 1/2 hours behind him (we were waiting at about mile 108 of 112 - of the cycling portion).No custard trips today, although I had some of the yummy blueberry at cake that I purchased at the craft fair yesterday. mmm.... homemade baked goods...And, yes, the Kat Lady really does exist. She's not just made up by KG! She'd fit right in around here. :D

• #3,200
You're right, she would, if everyone just ignores that she's pink.

<h2>1. What is a thread hijacking?</h2><p>A thread hijacking occurs when the topic of a conversation in a forum thread shifts from the original subject to something completely unrelated.</p><h2>2. Why do threads get hijacked?</h2><p>There are a few reasons why threads may get hijacked. Sometimes, it's simply the natural flow of conversation as one topic leads to another. Other times, it may be due to a lack of moderation or enforcement of staying on topic. Some users may also intentionally hijack threads for attention or to disrupt the conversation.</p><h2>3. Is thread hijacking a common issue on forums?</h2><p>Yes, thread hijacking is a common issue on forums. It can be frustrating for users who are genuinely interested in the original topic and can make it difficult for others to follow the conversation.</p><h2>4. How can thread hijacking be prevented?</h2><p>Moderation is key in preventing thread hijacking. Forum moderators should actively monitor threads and redirect the conversation back to the original topic if it veers off track. Setting clear guidelines for staying on topic can also help prevent thread hijacking.</p><h2>5. What should I do if I notice a thread being hijacked?</h2><p>If you notice a thread being hijacked, you can try politely redirecting the conversation back to the original topic. You can also flag the thread for moderation or report the issue to a forum moderator. It's important to remember to stay respectful and avoid engaging in any arguments or off-topic discussions.</p>

Related to theOfficial Hijacking Threads Hijack Thread

1. What is a thread hijacking?

A thread hijacking occurs when the topic of a conversation in a forum thread shifts from the original subject to something completely unrelated.

2. Why do threads get hijacked?

There are a few reasons why threads may get hijacked. Sometimes, it's simply the natural flow of conversation as one topic leads to another. Other times, it may be due to a lack of moderation or enforcement of staying on topic. Some users may also intentionally hijack threads for attention or to disrupt the conversation.

3. Is thread hijacking a common issue on forums?

Yes, thread hijacking is a common issue on forums. It can be frustrating for users who are genuinely interested in the original topic and can make it difficult for others to follow the conversation.

4. How can thread hijacking be prevented?

Moderation is key in preventing thread hijacking. Forum moderators should actively monitor threads and redirect the conversation back to the original topic if it veers off track. Setting clear guidelines for staying on topic can also help prevent thread hijacking.

5. What should I do if I notice a thread being hijacked?

If you notice a thread being hijacked, you can try politely redirecting the conversation back to the original topic. You can also flag the thread for moderation or report the issue to a forum moderator. It's important to remember to stay respectful and avoid engaging in any arguments or off-topic discussions.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Admin Greg
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • Kitchen Diva
  • General Chat
2 3
Replies
Views
PamperedDor