• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Testing for Doneness & Tips for Making a Dish at Fundraiser

In summary, for the fundraiser tonight, here are some tips for making the dish successfully: use a toothpick or cake tester to test for doneness, let the dish rest after cooking, and make sure the batter is evenly spread in the pan to prevent overflow. Good luck!
cmdtrgd
Gold Member
Okay, I'm making this at a fundraiser tonight because we are expecting a lot of people. I just tried it at home, and it looked done, and when I turned it out, half of it poured over the other half that WAS cooked. Here are my questions:

1. how do I test for when it is done?
2. do I let it rest after cooking or turn it out right after testing?
3. any other tips?

Thanks!

I actually don't ever test it. I do let it sit for 10 minutes after the microwave is done.

How much icing did you use? Are you sure it wasn't the icing that poured out? That is what is supposed to happen. That's why it's also called a lava cake.

The "cooked" part of the cake was bout 2 inches high, and it overflowed a medium square, so I'm pretty sure there was quite a bit of uncooked. I'll let it sit tonight...hope it works.Any other ideas?

I had the same problem with the cake. It wasn't very high and there was a substancial amount of goop that poured over the cake....Even though the cake tester came out done. After this happening the first 4 times and about to give up on it, I decided to put the next one in there for 10 minutes, then checked it and baked it more to make sure that it was very high. When I turned it out five minutes later, it was perfect! It did take longer than the suggested 8 - 10 minutes. It all depends on the microwave, too! Wishing you luck tonight when you make it! When in doubt.... 1 more minute :yuck: and look a the center of the cake! :eek:

Hi there! So sorry to hear about your experience with the recipe. Here are some tips to help ensure a successful outcome for your fundraiser tonight:1. The best way to test if a dish is done is by using a toothpick or cake tester. Insert it into the center of the dish and if it comes out clean, then it is fully cooked. If it comes out with batter or crumbs, it needs more time in the oven.2. It is always best to let the dish rest for a few minutes after cooking, especially if it is a cake or bread. This allows it to set and makes it easier to remove from the pan without any mishaps.3. A tip for preventing the halves from pouring over each other is to make sure the batter is evenly spread in the pan before baking. You can also try placing a baking sheet underneath the pan to catch any overflow.I hope these tips help and your fundraiser is a success! Happy cooking!

Related to Testing for Doneness & Tips for Making a Dish at Fundraiser

1. How do I know when a dish is fully cooked?

The best way to determine if a dish is fully cooked is by using a food thermometer. Different types of food have different internal temperature requirements, so it's important to refer to a temperature guide for specific foods. Generally, meat should be cooked to an internal temperature of at least 165°F, while baked goods should have an internal temperature of 200-210°F.

2. What are some general tips for making a dish at a fundraiser?

First and foremost, make sure to read the recipe carefully before beginning and gather all the necessary ingredients and equipment. Make sure to follow the instructions closely and don't be afraid to ask for help if needed. Additionally, make sure to taste the dish as you cook to ensure it is seasoned to your liking. And always remember to have fun and enjoy the process!

3. Can I substitute ingredients in a recipe if I don't have them on hand?

While some ingredients can be substituted in a recipe, it's important to keep in mind that it may alter the taste or texture of the dish. It's best to stick to the ingredients listed in the recipe, but if you must make a substitution, do some research beforehand to make sure it will work well in the recipe.

4. How do I prevent my baked goods from burning?

The key to preventing baked goods from burning is to monitor them closely while they are in the oven. Check on them regularly and rotate the pan if needed. You can also cover the top of the dish with foil to prevent it from getting too dark. And if you notice that the edges are cooking faster than the center, you can place a strip of foil around the edges to protect them.

5. Can I make adjustments to the cooking time in a recipe?

It's generally not recommended to make adjustments to the cooking time in a recipe, as it can greatly affect the outcome of the dish. However, if you need to make adjustments due to altitude, oven type, or other factors, it's important to keep a close eye on the dish and use a food thermometer to ensure it is fully cooked before serving.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• RoseAndrews
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
awjacks1105
  • Pamperedva
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Pamperedva
Replies