• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Proper Care Tips for Your Cookware: Keep Them in Top Shape

In summary, the conversation discusses tips for taking care of cookware to ensure optimal performance and longevity. These include seasoning cast-iron pans, using nonmetal utensils, using lemon juice to remove stains from aluminum pots, soaking pots in hot soapy water to remove stuck-on food, washing stainless steel quickly after cooking salty foods, drying aluminum and stainless steel pans immediately, and using paper towels to prevent damage to nonstick linings during storage. The article was shared from Taste of Home's February 2006 Newsletter and provides valuable tips for maintaining cookware.
Sk8Mom209
Gold Member
I just got my Taste of Home newsletter and thought this article might be useful to all of you. Obviously, of the the suggestions will not apply (stainless), but most of them seem to be good general rules

Take Care of Your Cookware
ROUTINE care of pots and pans will ensure you get the best performance and longest use out of them. Keep these tips in mind when using your cookware:

• Cast-iron pans should be seasoned before using to protect the surface and prevent food from sticking. One way to season a cast-iron skillet is to brush the inside with vegetable oil, then add an extra tablespoon of oil to the pan. Place the pan over low heat for 1 hour. When cool, wipe it dry with paper towels.

• Use nonmetal utensils during cooking to minimize cuts and scratches to the interior of your pans.

• To remove dark stains from an aluminum pot or pan, fill it with water, add 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice and simmer gently until the pan brightens.

• To help remove stuck-on food from pots and pans, soak them in hot soapy water. However, if the pan has a sugary or protein-based substance (like eggs) on it, soak it in cold water.

• Stainless steel should be washed quickly after cooking salty foods because salt can pit the surface.

• Always dry aluminum or stainless steel pans immediately to prevent water spots from forming.

• To prevent nonstick linings from damage during storage, place paper towels between the pans when stacking them in your cabinet.

Article from Taste of Home February 2006 Newsletter.

Thanks for sharing this article! I definitely need to start taking better care of my cookware. I always forget to season my cast-iron skillet and end up with food sticking to it. And I never thought about using nonmetal utensils to prevent scratches. I'll have to try the lemon juice trick for my aluminum pots - they always seem to have stubborn stains. Thanks again for the helpful tips!

Hello fellow chefs,I couldn't agree more with the importance of taking proper care of your cookware. As a Pampered Chef consultant, I have seen firsthand the difference it makes when you follow these simple tips.First and foremost, seasoning your cast-iron pans is crucial for their longevity and performance. And for those of us who use stainless steel, it's important to wash them quickly after cooking salty foods to avoid pitting.Using nonmetal utensils is also a great tip to prevent scratches and damage to your cookware. And for those tough stains, a mixture of water and fresh lemon juice can work wonders on aluminum pots and pans.I also recommend drying your aluminum and stainless steel pans immediately after washing to prevent water spots. And for nonstick pans, placing paper towels between them when storing will help protect the lining.Thank you for sharing this article from Taste of Home. I'm sure it will be a helpful reminder for all of us to properly care for our cookware and keep it in top shape. Happy cooking!

What are the best ways to clean cookware?

Cleaning your cookware properly is essential for maintaining its quality and longevity. The best way to clean your cookware depends on the material it is made of. For non-stick cookware, it is recommended to use a non-abrasive sponge and mild dish soap. For stainless steel, use a soft cloth or sponge and a mixture of warm water and baking soda. Cast iron cookware should be cleaned with hot water and a stiff brush, and then dried immediately. Always avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners on any type of cookware.

How do I prevent my cookware from staining?

There are a few ways to prevent staining on your cookware. First, avoid cooking acidic foods, like tomatoes or lemons, in uncoated aluminum cookware. If you do cook acidic foods, use a coated or anodized aluminum cookware. Second, make sure to thoroughly dry your cookware after washing to prevent water spots. Third, avoid using high heat when cooking with stainless steel cookware, as this can cause discoloration. Lastly, avoid using metal utensils on non-stick cookware, as this can scratch the coating and cause staining.

Can I put my cookware in the dishwasher?

This depends on the type of cookware you have. Most stainless steel, cast iron, and ceramic cookware can safely go in the dishwasher. However, non-stick cookware should not be put in the dishwasher, as it can damage the coating. Always check the manufacturer's instructions before putting your cookware in the dishwasher.

How often should I season my cast iron cookware?

It is recommended to season your cast iron cookware every 3-4 months, or more often if you use it frequently. To season your cookware, first, wash it with hot water and a stiff brush. Then, dry it completely and rub it with a thin layer of oil. Place it in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for one hour, and then let it cool before using it again.

What is the best way to store cookware?

To maximize space and prevent damage, it is best to stack cookware with similar shapes and sizes together. Use pan protectors or paper towels between stacked pieces to prevent scratches. If storing cookware in cabinets, make sure to place heavier items on the bottom to avoid any accidents. For hanging storage, use sturdy hooks and make sure the cookware is securely hung. Avoid storing cookware in damp or humid areas, as this can cause rust and damage.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
PamperedchefDaly
  • lacychef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
jenm42
Replies
Views
daraza