• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Sorry if This Is Gross...my Puppy

While this is filled with valid concerns about dogs and their needs, our dog, a regular poop eater, has 1 1/2 acres to roam on, a dogfood purchased from the veterinarian, heartworm meds, flea treatment, regular well checkups and vaccinations, plenty of exercise and attention, he has his own bed in the house, etc.etc., I just think some dogs like poop!!!
GeorgiaPeach
Silver Member
ate her own poop today!! ICKKKK!!! This whole "dog" thing is very new to me. I had fish growing up. No dogs or cats allowed. My husband had tons of dogs but he is out of town and can't be reached by cell phone. I'm afraid to call my father in law cause he'll just die laughing!!

I was COMPLETELY grossed out and am watching her now with a crinkled nose. If she throws up because of this, I'm the only one home to clean it up. Double ICK!!

Is this normal? She is always sniffing around the yard and eating bugs but I've never seen her do this.

I never wanted a dog growing up but my brother did and hence we had a cocker spaniel that lived for 17 years! He ate his own poop but I think he was senile which is different. In any case they probably don't know any better and like kids like to put whatever into their mouths that they can.

You have to teach it NO and I am not an expert but you need to make sure it knows not to do that again.

Good luck.

its normal - in a not so normal way :)
dont worry about it. it wont harm her & she shouldnt get sick.
& i promise - it wont be the last time she eats something disgusting.
my puppy *somehow* managed to swallow my underwear. & later threw it up. i didnt even know she had gotten it in the first place - let alone swallowed it. i thought i was going to throw up when i was cleaning it up. im a little queezy just thinking about it right now.

welcome to many more disgusting things. but i dont know what i would do without my little girl :D

You'll have to face it. Dogs are gross. Our dog eats horse poop on a daily basis and we've not been able to stop him. I've also caught him eating his own poop from time to time. Every dog I've ever owned loved eating poop, so I think it's just a dog thing.

If they eat their own poo then they are missing something in their diet is what I have been told. I'd call the vet & ask them what you need to give him.

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_PoopEating.php

check out this website

wow kacey, I didn't know that, thanks! I think our dog has ate some of her own from time to time, but not all the time. She just is FOREVER doing her business and then sniffing it for like 3 minutes!:eek::D

Oh what a thread this is - WHERE is KG??? LOL!!

My Cavashon did it when she was only a few months old - thankfully she hasn't done it since - My advice is to try and do poop patrol daily or bag it as soon as she goes.

thecougchef said:
its normal - in a not so normal way :)
dont worry about it. it wont harm her & she shouldnt get sick.
& i promise - it wont be the last time she eats something disgusting.
my puppy *somehow* managed to swallow my underwear. & later threw it up. i didnt even know she had gotten it in the first place - let alone swallowed it. i thought i was going to throw up when i was cleaning it up. im a little queezy just thinking about it right now.

welcome to many more disgusting things. but i dont know what i would do without my little girl :D

ROTFLMBO!!:eek::D;)
I know, they can be so disgusting but we love them so much!:rolleyes:;):)

kaseydee said:

check out this website

Great info! I had to laugh at the part about giving them attention so that "it is more rewarding to attend to you than to attend to poop". My fear...What if my dog finds poop more interesting than me?? If that happens, I certainly won't be telling anyone! LOL! :)

kaseydee said:

check out this website

While this is filled with valid concerns about dogs and their needs, our dog, a regular poop eater, has 1 1/2 acres to roam on, a dogfood purchased from the veterinarian, heartworm meds, flea treatment, regular well checkups and vaccinations, plenty of exercise and attention, he has his own bed in the house, etc.etc., I just think some dogs like poop!!!

Along that same note. Why would anyone buy a water purifier for the dog, when dogs just eat all the nasty stuff they can get ahold of, anyway?!H-m-m? (just in case you're wondering we give our dog fresh clean tap water daily-sometimes twice daily.)

There is also pills you can give them, they are called Deter. Its over the counter & what I think they do is make it smell nasty to them, so they don't want to eat it! ;)

My dogs get tap water too but I add this stuff in it to make their breath smell better & OMG does it work!!! The pet store here in town quit stocking it so I order it online.

kaseydee said:
My dogs get tap water too but I add this stuff in it to make their breath smell better & OMG does it work!!! The pet store here in town quit stocking it so I order it online.

Do you mind sharing the name of it? I never thought to look for something. I thought it was just doggy breath. I can tell when he's been eating horse poop. Maybe this stuff would help. I go crazy picking up horse poop, often twice a day, just to keep him away from it.

I have heard on numerous occasions that the Navajo word for "dog" translates as "eaters of horse poop". Luckily mine doesn't care for for her own or any other dogs' poop but she is wild about any cat poop she can find. And I bet she might like to try some horse poop if given the opportunity. I still love her. ;)

Nylabone Unleash Pure Joy Breath Freshener - 6 oz. I ordered it from bedding.com & it was $3.97 per bottle & to get the best deal on shipping I got 6 bottles & they had some kind of discount code I used too. The shipping was $5.95 & my total was $28.47. Thats about $4.75 a bottle which is cheaper than I was paying at Petsmart.

At horse shows I've noticed even the cute little fancy dogs with their nails painted and rhinestone collars are gobbling down the horse poop when their owners aren't looking!

Ollie eats deer poop....but in his defense it does look like milk duds....

erinyourpclady said:

That's too funny!

One of my doggies eats poop. She is well fed, and eats a VERY good dog food(nutro). She is out doors a lot, happy and healthy. There is nothing wrong with her medically. Some dogs just eat poop!!! Most puppies will and grow out of it. My little angel never did. The vet has suggested MSG but we just watch her and do poop patrol everyday in the yard.

I don't have dogs, but couldn't resist reading this thread. Then, I get to Ginger's thread and almost fall off my chair. I mean, I can't imagine trying to make poop smell worse! (I know you mean to the dog, who obviously isn't finding it icky if he's eating it, but still!) Maybe your dog just needs to eat what I feed The Furry Guy. Trust me, I think the dog would run. LOL!I now return this thread to dog-lovers who are clearly serious about helping Lisa with her problem.

Enzo the huge golden eats his poop. Less now that he has grown up, but as a puppy, we were on constant "poop patrol." The pup could poop, and then zip right around and eat it why it was still warm. (sorry for the graphic, but it was amazing how fast he was)

We tried everything. I was telling my girlfrieind that I was getting something to sprinkle on his food to make his poop smell bad, and she laughed and said, "Carol, it's poop, how much worse could it smell?" Now that he is 4, he has almost got it out of his system. We read everything and tried everything and sad to say, nothing made a difference. And yes, poop breath is the worse.

Most puppys do it, and most dogs grow out of it. Sophia our 2 year old black lab/golden retriever isn't much interested in her's thankfully. Don't waste your money on stuff to make them quit. Like I said, we tried everything and nothing phased him.

The good thing is that puppys are so cute you can overlook this one (stinky) habit.

GeorgiaPeach said:
ate her own poop today!! ICKKKK!!! This whole "dog" thing is very new to me. I had fish growing up. No dogs or cats allowed. My husband had tons of dogs but he is out of town and can't be reached by cell phone. I'm afraid to call my father in law cause he'll just die laughing!!

I was COMPLETELY grossed out and am watching her now with a crinkled nose. If she throws up because of this, I'm the only one home to clean it up. Double ICK!!

Is this normal? She is always sniffing around the yard and eating bugs but I've never seen her do this.

Welcome to the club- our youngest golden retriever LOVES to eat pooh! Tried everything- powders, pills, tabasco sauce (which she LOVES by the way) and she just won't stop... so we let her...the vet said it'll be less for us to clean up!

Dumb dog! (our dog, not yours)

Hey Lisa - what breed of dog do you have?

She is a solid black cocker spaniel mix. She is 4 1/2 months old. She is a very sweet little puppy and that's saying a lot coming from a "non-dog" person :)

Finding out that this is fairly normal is comforting but I'm still really grossed out by it. (She was licking my husband's face last night!!) What I wonder is...why doesn't she eat the poop she does INSIDE the house!!! She's had a few accidents and had no problem leaving them there for us to find.

erinyourpclady said:

Now dogs aren't supposed to eat chocolate so in reality, deer poop is better for them then milk duds?:yuck: Man, life is NOT fair!!!

This is very common...my friend's dogs prefer them to be frozen in the winter. I guess they like to play with them too before they have their tasty frozen treat!

On the Bob and Tom radio show, they had a spoof of a commercial. It was a (fake) product for your dog...it was to make their breath smell better and the fictious product was called..."excra-mints"

I have friends that have had dogs raid the trash can for used feminine products, one that chews the crotch out of any pants (new or used)...and this is why we call some men....DOGS!!! Dogs also love to roll in dead fish, they love to drag animal parts back to the house and use them as a chew toy. Dog farts are gross too. I love dogs, but not in my home!! And we grew up with them in the house too.

On this note....I love my kitty. His food stinks, but he is not as gross as a dog.

WARNING:::: Goose poop can KILL your dog. We have tons of geese around here and when our hound was about 6 months old he became very very ill. The vet thought he had parval (sp) but when they did slides in the lab it came back that he had ingested goose poop. We caught it in time. Woke up in the night to him crying when I got up there was bloody poo poo everywhere and he was vomiting blood!!! I called everyone in my family almost, the vet must of thought we were all nuts in the vets office at 6:AM all crying and freaking out. My family considers animals "kids" so were are very freakish when it comes to them. My Mom, Aunties and I took turns staying up at night with him till he was better :)

What should I do if my puppy has diarrhea?

If your puppy has diarrhea, it's important to monitor their water intake and make sure they stay hydrated. You may also want to switch them to a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice until their stools firm up. If the diarrhea persists for more than 24 hours or your puppy seems lethargic or in pain, it's best to consult with your veterinarian.

Is it normal for my puppy to eat their own poop?

While it may seem gross to us, it is actually normal for puppies to eat their own feces. This behavior is instinctual and serves a purpose in the wild. However, if your puppy continues to eat their own poop as they get older, it's best to discuss with your veterinarian to rule out any underlying health issues.

How can I prevent my puppy from getting worms?

The best way to prevent your puppy from getting worms is to keep them on a regular deworming schedule recommended by your veterinarian. You should also pick up your puppy's poop immediately, as this will prevent them from re-ingesting any worm eggs that may be present in their feces.

What should I do if my puppy has fleas?

If your puppy has fleas, it's important to treat them as soon as possible. You can use a flea comb to physically remove the fleas from your puppy's fur and then use a flea shampoo or topical treatment recommended by your veterinarian. It's also important to treat your puppy's environment, such as their bedding and any areas where they spend time.

How often should I bathe my puppy?

It's not necessary to bathe your puppy too often, as this can strip their skin of natural oils and cause dryness. A good rule of thumb is to bathe your puppy every 2-3 months, or as needed if they get particularly dirty or smelly. However, it's important to regularly clean their face, ears, and paws to prevent any build-up of dirt and bacteria.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
KellyTheChef
  • GeorgiaPeach
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Chef Endora
  • cwinter474
  • General Chat
Replies