• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Something Fun: Brushes With Fame!

In summary, my uncle's brother-in-law's ex-companion is Elton John. I never met him, but when my Granny died, other people sent flowers and Elton John sent a tree. I sold Melena Kanakeredis refills for her day planner twice while I was in college. My dad's cousin (so I guess that would be my second cousin?) is Julie Budd. If you're from the New England/New York area, you probably know who she is. I got to interview Loretta Lynn when I was a reporter and she let me sit on her stage while she gave a concert! So, come on Cheffers. Name drop! My DH is
Sheesh. I need to get out more.

I thought I had nothing until I remembered that I work with a guy who used to play for the New York Jets in the late 70's.

Oh! And my mom's cousin was in Playboy in the late 70's/early 80's. She was Hef's girlfriend for a while, and even got married at the mansion (not to Hef, obviously!) When my grandma went out there for a visit, she got to go to the mansion and meet Chuck Woolery.

OOH! And I've been on two cruises, and therefore within spitting distance of, the Barenaked Ladies. I wouldn't spit on them though. That's cruel.

(Well, maybe Ed. I'd spit on Ed just so I could wipe it off with my shirt. Ed is hot.)

IAmChefJ said:
Working in Country radio I've met most all of the country artists and a lot of their spouses. Nicole Kidman, however, still alludes me... although I think everyone else in Nashville has run into her at Starbucks.

It's more fun for me to introduce other people to them. Like setting up my parents with the Oak Ridge Boys, or my daughter (who had her picture taken with Garth as a baby) to meet Taylor Swift.

There have been a bunch of people outside of music I've met that I'm blanking on at the moment... Olympic gymnast Shannon Miller was neat.

I may have to come back to this. Love reading these stories -- especially Darius at the Dunkin' Donuts! He's a neat guy -- REALLY knows his country music!

Oh! Edit -- Larry King! His wife had a country music deal for a while, and she brought him into the studio a couple of times. Hysterically funny they were. Storme Warren (from GAC's Country Music Across America) is a co-worker, and I ran into James Carville in the company cafeteria one time.

Oh I would have LOVED to meet Shannon Miller! I'm a former competitive gymnast and coach (still coach sometimes)! I can't wait to watch the Olympics!
Oh yeah, I DID meet Mary Lou Retton and have a picture with her. That was when I was pregnant almost 14 years ago! She was doing some promotional ad with Tyson Chicken.

smspamperedchef said:
I was in the studio audience of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" with Regis Philbin. You could even see my legs on tv!

That's how Mary Tyler Moore got her start - after being the Hotpoint Pixie, her legs were under the desk of Peter Gunn.

smspamperedchef said:
Also met THE FONZ! (Henry Winkler from Happy Days) Got a picture too! (it's somewhere???)

Gee, you can come to Milwaukee and have your picture taken with him in bronze.

Just what we need, too. (Eyeroll thingy goes here.)

I have met Rebecca St. James, a Contemporary Christian singer several times when my DD was in high school in Knoxville, TN when she did concerts there. My DD was a big fan of hers and had several pictures of her and a friend with her from the meetings. I also met Tammy Trent, another Contemporary Christian singer, and her husband in 1999 at a concert she did in Knoxville, TN. Her husband died in a diving accident on September 10, 2001. It was just a "footnote" in the news since the next day was 9/11!

Jean DeVries said:
OOH! And I've been on two cruises, and therefore within spitting distance of, the Barenaked Ladies. I wouldn't spit on them though. That's cruel.

(Well, maybe Ed. I'd spit on Ed just so I could wipe it off with my shirt. Ed is hot.)

Too funny! I love them.

As I've mentioned before - met Oprah. I didn't think she was as nice/genuine in person as she is on TV. But, it was her second show of the day and she said her shoes were killing her. I'll have to go again and give her a second chance. My mom's cousin is a stage manager for her.

Screech - from Saved be the Bell - used to shop at the Home Depot that I work at. I never met him, but everyone said he was nice.

I've been to at least 11 Bon Jovi cancerts and they have filmed videos at at least 3 of them. I have been told that you can see me in 1 of them, but I have not seen it. I can't remember if it was "in these arms" or "bed of roses." I did get up on stage at the last concert and Jon kissed the girl right in front of me.....so close....so close

One of my sister's friends is Mark Ruffalo's cousin.

Back in 1992 I met Barry Williams (Greg Brady from the Brady Bunch) - he was signing autographs of his book "Growing up Brady" - my old college roommate and I are big Brady Bunch fans so we got our pictures taken with him as well. Then we went and met Davy Jones from the Monkees - he was a guest star at a real live Brady Bunch show in the early '90s - he sang the song "Girl" (the one he sings when Marcia Brady is trying to get him to sing at her prom) - my husband went right up to him and said "Nice to meet you Mr. Nesmith" - Davy laughed and we got his autograph and picture as well. He's very short in person (not like he appears tall anywhere else!)

A couple of years ago - my family and I went to Disney World - my daughter and I were off the plane first waiting for the rest of our family - when suddenly a guy behind me started singing - I looked at him and it was Ponch from CHiPs - Erik Estrada! I started talking to him and he was telling me how great Disney was and asked where I was staying and proceeded to tell me what a great resort it was. He was very nice - I didn't want to be pushy with autographs and such (since he was on vacation) - however another woman came up to get a picture - and so I grabbed my camera and got a picture with him - at this point my family is off the plane and I motion to my husband who comes over to get a picture taken with him as well - it was too funny!

I've also met several actors from Days of our Lives that came to our local mall years ago - Jack Devereaux (Matthew Ashford) and Mike Horton (Roark Critchlow) - they were both very nice and cute!

I've met Randy from the country band Alabama in the early 80's; thought he was to conceited LOL I also met Phil Collins in the mid 80's at a bar in Vegas (Can't remember which one LOL) but he was rude. And most recently while at O'Hare airport waiting to come home from conference I was standing in line since they just called our seating when two men came by and pushed people to the side. We were all going what the.......and that is when Hillary Clinton came by with several bodyguards. I was the only one in the line to get a high five from her :) I think because I was probably the only one who had the audacity to stick my hand out there to get one without thinking it might have gotten broken off by the bodyguards LOL Oh and when I was 12 my uncle was an extra in the movie The Natural with Robert Redford and I got to see him from about 15 feet. He smiled and waved hello but that was it. At the time I didn't realize who he was LOL My uncle told me afterwards and I hit him asking him why he didn't tell me LOL

My Grandpa was Albert Einsteins coffee boy for a bit while he was working in Cali. He said he would make him brew an entire pot for one cup and then make him dump it all out and make a fresh pot when he was ready for another cup. My grandpa said he was smelly too.

I have met several Christian artists including the band The OC Supertones, Paul Wright, Barlow Girl and others. My friend from church is the aunt of the 2 guys from Switchfoot.

I have had my picture taken with Andy Dick.

My husband towed Rosanna Arquette when he was a tow truck driver. She gave him a $50 tip.

We also met Method man and Red man (rap singers) at Six Flags Magic Mountain.

Have seen from a distance many others such as James Gardner, David Spade, Kirk Cameron, and more.

The Michael Jackson trial was here in our little town and so we saw plenty of him too. A friend of mine used to work at his ranch.

I went to high school with a player on the Eagles. Ironically enough my family all moved from that small NM town to a town about an hour outside of Philly and my sister now goes to school in Philly. I keep telling her to contact him as he will remember us.

I did a college internship at Walt Disney World and I met a ton of celebs, O Town (they were popular then lol) Backstreet Boys, INSYNC (I danced next to Justin Timerlake a club), 98 Degrees, Jessica Simpson. I met Lisa Ling, and a ton of professional sports players, John Stamos, the list goes on.

I am now living in England, as DH is stationed here with the USAF. Prince Harry was training at a base in the area and one day I was driving down the road and came upon a miltary convoy. I had to pass them and happened to look at one of the drivers. It was Prince Harry, of course it didn't hit me until the next day when I was in the BX shopping with DH and saw him again.

I have also seen the Queen, her husband, Prince William, Charles and Camilla, along with Andrew and his two daughters while in London for the Trooping of the Colour (it's her birthday celebration and they do a parade down to the Mall. We were right up front so I got some awesome pics. Though I thought it was really neat, I am not a fan of the royals.

pcchefjane said:
I have met Rebecca St. James, a Contemporary Christian singer several times when my DD was in high school in Knoxville, TN when she did concerts there. My DD was a big fan of hers and had several pictures of her and a friend with her from the meetings. I also met Tammy Trent, another Contemporary Christian singer, and her husband in 1999 at a concert she did in Knoxville, TN. Her husband died in a diving accident on September 10, 2001. It was just a "footnote" in the news since the next day was 9/11!

Tammy Trent is from this area. I've worked with her....She and her husband were in my bookstore - she was doing a signing when her first CD was being debuted. Her mom is a locally well known singer and Bible teacher. It was very sad when her husband died. They were a great couple - both very personable, and you could tell they loved God and loved each other.

Not too many celebrity happenings for me. I did go to high school with rap star Missy Elliott. The boxer Sweet Pea Whittaker came to our jr. high for a visit. Teddy Riley, Timbaland & Pharell (also in rap industry) don't live to far from there either. Can you tell where I grew up?

My DH was on Jimmie Johnson's pit crew before he made it to Nascar. DH has also met quite a few of the drivers. My son has an uncle (on father's side) that is the coach for the NE Patriots football team. My BIL's SIL hangs out with Dennis Rodman.

What a mix of well knowns in my list. lol

ChefBeckyD said:
Tammy Trent is from this area. I've worked with her....She and her husband were in my bookstore - she was doing a signing when her first CD was being debuted. Her mom is a locally well known singer and Bible teacher. It was very sad when her husband died. They were a great couple - both very personable, and you could tell they loved God and loved each other.

I heard her speak at a Women of Faith conference two years ago. Her story breaks your heart. I bought her book and read it in one sitting. I cried so much I gave up on kleenix and got a washcloth!

GourmetGirl said:
Harrison Ford? Gary Oldman? William H. Macy?

William H. Macy!! Thanks - it was driving me crazy!

DH said Macy looked open to talking with him and even disappointed that he didn't say something. I told him I would have said something like "Hi! I loved you in Air Force One..." - anything.

Ohhh, ohhhh...

I met Doris and Jay Christopher! And Jean Jonas. :sing:

ChefBeckyD said:

I've met her too. When I worked in youth ministry, she came and did a concert/rally for us here. Had dinner with her and everything.

I haven't met any myself, but DH meets them a lot! My husband has met Bobby Labonte (and taken Bobby for a ride drifting! ). We have an autographed race car helmet from him. He also has had lunch with Jeff Gordon, sat at the same table and everything:love:... and didn't even bring me a napkin or anything! (that would be to wipe my drool) All the Nascar teams that test at the GM proving grounds have to go through my husband first, so he meets a lot of famous people. Harley Davidson motorcyles does it's testing there too, so he has met the owners of Harley Davidson. He has also trained the drivers of the president's limo, though never actually met the pres. himself. He has a cool award in his office, basically commendations from the secret service for his outstanding service in driver training. One of the guys was named Rocky Delmonico, and DH said that if DH ever had to go into the witness protection program, that is the coolest name on earth! He would pick it. Not that my ramble has anthing else to do with famous people. I guess I'm cool by association. Need a t-shirt made "DH had lunch with Jeff Gordon and all I got was... Nada!"

Best I can come up with...I was having dinner with a business associate at a restaurant in Watertown, MA and to get to the men's room, one has to go through a private room. James B. Sikking was teaching an acting class there. I stood in the back of the room with him, watching his class acting a scene, and never thought to ask him for an autograph. (Okay, he's kinda obscure. Lt. Hunter in Hill Street Blues and the captain of the starship, pursuing the USS Enterprise (the one that Scotty had disabled the warp drive) in one of the Star Trek movies. In New York, The Kat Lady and I went to the Empire State Building one evening. After we came down from the observation deck, we hit the restrooms. I was leaning against the wall in the corridor, waiting, and Robert DiNero was leaning against the opposite wall, also waiting. We smiled at one another, because we were both waiting for our wives to come out of the ladies room. Once again, I never thought to ask for an autograph but then, I didn't want to bother him.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
James B. Sikking was teaching an acting class there. I stood in the back of the room with him, watching his class acting a scene, and never thought to ask him for an autograph. (Okay, he's kinda obscure. Lt. Hunter in Hill Street Blues and the captain of the starship, pursuing the USS Enterprise (the one that Scotty had disabled the warp drive) in one of the Star Trek movies.

James B. Sikking was also the dad on Doogie Howser. I was too young to watch Hill St. Blues or Star Trek, but Doogie was a show I watched regularly. :)

No personal contacts, but I did watch Michael Jordan at shooting practice before a Bulls game, during their heyday.

XH (then fiance) was doing a friend a favor by setting up radio cabling for the visiting team, and he asked to bring me along. It was about an hour before the game, and I was sitting on one of those folding chairs they put on the floor. First Scottie Pippen, BJ Armstrong (such a cutie) and others came out and did their warmups. I was thrilled about that......then MJ came out with just a ballgirl. Not only did I not make eye contact...I could hardly breathe! That guy has enough charisma for 100 politicians ;-)

A few years later a friend and I saw Scottie Pippen at Marshall Fields.

Scottie Pippen another Arkansan! lol

When I was in high school (in the 90's) a group called Arrested development did a video in my Grandfathers field. Saw I hung out with them for a week or so.

I swear I saw Steve Martin in kroger one day.

My husband and I went to a hockey game and had box seats. In the down time they can over the speaker and was annoucing "Little John was in the house" Well I am not in to music so how were we to know he was a rapper and people started come out of the wood work. My newphew was mad because we did not get his auto.

My husband sat with Webster (don't know his real name) at a NBA game

I not only met Jay Christopher, he took my picture. It was at the 2005 NC, and my clustermates and I were wearing parrot hats.

I had dinner with Doris & Jay at an event in Va Beach!

BethCooks4U said:
My DH is related to Brigham Young (distantly - and no we aren't Mormans). Brigham Young's mom's maiden name was Brigham (that's the relation line). Steve Young (football star) is a relative of Brigham Young so that makes him our relative too. :cool:
My son sent Steve a letter once but he never replied.

Also, my maiden name is Schlitz - just like the beer that made Milwaukee famous. We are related but the money went with his partner's family when Joe Schlitz's widow married him.

My DH is also related to Brigham Young. Brighams brother was DH great great grandpa. I also saw Steve Young he came and talked at a morning side at our school and afterwards he came to my math class and signed my teachers life size poster of him. I was sitting in the front row.

I have also met Marie Osmand. If I am thinking correctly the book (behind the smile)she wrote about postpartum depression is signed by her. I have also seen Donny Osmond never talked tohim though.

Jessamary said:
James B. Sikking was also the dad on Doogie Howser. I was too young to watch Hill St. Blues or Star Trek, but Doogie was a show I watched regularly. :)

Doogie likes boys.... :(

This is fun to read! :) My mom and I saw Davy Jones eating by himself in Burger King in Circleville, Ohio (he had a concert in town that night)....of course I didn't go bother him. Too chicken!
When my DS was in 2nd. grade he had to write a short page about someone he would like to meet. He wrote about Victor Borge. That was Sept. & in Oct. VB came to Columbus to do a concert @ the Ohio Theater. We got tickets and I also wrote a letter to VB and included a copy of my DS's writing. I took it to Col. and told a security guard @ the theater about my son's writing and ask if they could get the envelope to VB. They could not promise. The night of the concert my DS, DH & I were walking to the theater & my DH stopped to hold a door open for an old man. He asked if we were going to the theater and walked w/us. We made small talk. When we got to a side door he said that was where he had to go in. (yes, it was VB!) Before the concert an usher came to our seats and gave us backstage passes for after the show. There were only 2 other older adults invited backstage. My son was thrilled. :D The photo sits on the mantle and the video we bought is autographed. The music world lost a great entertainer when VB died.

byrd1956 said:
This is fun to read! :) My mom and I saw Davy Jones eating by himself in Burger King in Circleville, Ohio (he had a concert in town that night)....of course I didn't go bother him. Too chicken!
When my DS was in 2nd. grade he had to write a short page about someone he would like to meet. He wrote about Victor Borge. That was Sept. & in Oct. VB came to Columbus to do a concert @ the Ohio Theater. We got tickets and I also wrote a letter to VB and included a copy of my DS's writing. I took it to Col. and told a security guard @ the theater about my son's writing and ask if they could get the envelope to VB. They could not promise. The night of the concert my DS, DH & I were walking to the theater & my DH stopped to hold a door open for an old man. He asked if we were going to the theater and walked w/us. We made small talk. When we got to a side door he said that was where he had to go in. (yes, it was VB!) Before the concert an usher came to our seats and gave us backstage passes for after the show. There were only 2 other older adults invited backstage. My son was thrilled. :D The photo sits on the mantle and the video we bought is autographed. The music world lost a great entertainer when VB died.

That is the cutest story! Gives hope for all the kids out there who write about their famous "heroes"!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I was on the television when I was a kid.

My mother made me get down before I fell and hurt myself.

So, does everyone else know, when they see gems like this, that it's KG, without even looking to the avatar? :balloon:

When I was little, we lived about a 1/4 mile from Stephen King and my mom was pulling me on a sled behind his house and he passed on the way back to his house (there was a path back there to the local sledding hill)

Tom Bergeron used to host a talk show in Boston that my mom was on twice and I was in the audience both time... I got his autograph. I was in the 7th grade so this was a while ago.

I went to camp at a racquetball club and the owner's brother was George Wyner (Spaceballs, Fletch movies, She's the Sheriff, Hill St Blues, etc) and I met him one time when he was there.

I've seen many Red Sox and Patriots players up close at games or training camp

I have 3 degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon - LOL
His wife, Kyra Sedgewick was filming a movie in our area and a friend of mine was working EMS on set. She had lunch with Kyra one day.

Last year at the PMC, Greg LaMond, Uta Pippig (marathon runner) and Johann Koss (Olympic speed skater) rode, so I saw them up close and personal.

I went on a date with ex-Bruin Lyndon "LB" Byers when I turned 21. He works at a radio station in Boston and I won something on my birthday. He called to let me know I won and asked me out on a date. He was ok enough, but he's much older and drinks like a fish.

My cousin was roommates with Mark Consuelos (All My Children) in college so he and his wife Kelly Ripa (Regis' cohost) was as there wedding.

I met Rosie O'Donnell at the mall one day shopping at Target. She complemented me on handling my 3 yr olds plea for yet another princess backpack.

I met Leonardo DiCaprio outside a Broadway Show a few years ago, he tried sneaking out before the show ended and my friends and I also had to so we could make dinner reservations.

My uncles also work for The View so I met a few people from the show. Unfortunately Kevin Bacon was the most famous of the guests that I was up close and personal with.

I've had lunch with Doris Christopher twice in Dallas there were only 5 of us it was nice.
I attended her book signing in Dallas area and she took a photo with my daughter and it was on the PC website for along timeTom Arnold & I grew up in the same town. I actually remember him making the news as a streaker in the dead of an Iowa winter. After he married Roseanne they bought my mom's best friends farm to build their mansion on, my cousin lives in the doublewwide they lived in during construction.Another cousin lived in the home Grant wood painted in American Gothic.

pampchefsarah said:
So, does everyone else know, when they see gems like this, that it's KG, without even looking to the avatar? :balloon:

Well, you and I do. Everyone else just pretty much ignores them.

My aunt used to have Randy Savage and his wife over for dinner.

I (along with about 8 other choir members) sang to Michael W. Smith as he was getting in his bus to leave.

My hubby took dinner (he worked at a restaurant) to the filming of "Shawshank Redemption" and got to meet some of the actors!!

I went to high school with Steve Tovar (he played for the Cincinnati Bengals).

I can't really think of anything else right now.

Um I have a few myself. I met Christian Leblanc & John Enos from Young & the Restless. They came to New Orleans like 2 weeks before Katrina & I won tickets to a meet & greet at the Audobon Zoo. John Enos has no personality, but LOVED Christian Leblanc. I met Pam Tillis in Nashville, She was very nice. And I met Dr. Phil when he was in New Orleans filiming in my office for his show he did on helping hurrican victims. He was very nice & sat & talked to my dad & I for about 30 min before he went to do his taping.

Have not yet had the pleasure of actually meeting Doris Christopher or Jean Jonas, but It is on my list of goals!!!

Teresa Lynn said:
Another cousin lived in the home Grant wood painted in American Gothic.
That is so cool!!! :cool: My student's studied that painting once and painted "Pickaway Gothic"....the school in the background w/the principal & the secretary in the foreground. Of course the principal was holding a paddle!

Mac Powell from the Christian band, 3rd day, is my DH's 3rd cousin. We are groupies and have met up with him after one of his concerts.

Phillip Rivers, San Diego Chargers' quarterback, went to school with me briefly and played little league baseball with my brother. I'm actually friends with his wife and she buys pampered chef from me occassionally.

Met almost all of last season's American Idols at a concert. They all happened t be on their way to their tour bus as I was leaving. Got lots of Pics with them. They were all nice.

Oh and the lady from Shear Genius, Glen, is the owner of the hair salon where I take DS to get his hair cut. I talked with her a few weeks ago about the show and told her we were pulling for her. Sadly, she got kicked off that week.

<H2>1. Who is the most famous person you are related to or have had contact with?</H2><p>My uncle's brother-in-law's ex-companion is Elton John. I never met him, but when my Granny died, other people sent flowers and Elton John sent a tree.</p><H2>2. Have you ever had any interactions with celebrities through your job?</H2><p>I have sold Melena Kanakeredis refills for her day planner twice while I was in college.</p><H2>3. Is there anyone in your family who is a celebrity?</H2><p>My dad's cousin (so I guess that would be my second cousin?) is Julie Budd. If you're from the New England/New York area, you probably know who she is.</p><H2>4. Have you ever met a celebrity while working as a reporter?</H2><p>I got to interview Loretta Lynn when I was a reporter and she let me sit on her stage while she gave a concert!</p><H2>5. Can you share any memorable experiences you've had with famous people?</H2><p>One time, while working as a reporter, I got to interview Loretta Lynn and sit on her stage during her concert. It was an incredible experience and one I will never forget.</p>

1. Who is the most famous person you are related to or have had contact with?

My uncle's brother-in-law's ex-companion is Elton John. I never met him, but when my Granny died, other people sent flowers and Elton John sent a tree.

2. Have you ever had any interactions with celebrities through your job?

I have sold Melena Kanakeredis refills for her day planner twice while I was in college.

3. Is there anyone in your family who is a celebrity?

My dad's cousin (so I guess that would be my second cousin?) is Julie Budd. If you're from the New England/New York area, you probably know who she is.

4. Have you ever met a celebrity while working as a reporter?

I got to interview Loretta Lynn when I was a reporter and she let me sit on her stage while she gave a concert!

5. Can you share any memorable experiences you've had with famous people?

One time, while working as a reporter, I got to interview Loretta Lynn and sit on her stage during her concert. It was an incredible experience and one I will never forget.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kitchen Diva
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
  • kcmckay
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • AJPratt