• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Someone Posted Something That Made Me Think...(We Were Talking About

In summary, if you are self-employed and expect to make a profit in your first year of business, you should expect to put aside at least 30-33% of your income to cover taxes.
babywings76
Gold Member
Someone posted something that made me think...(We were talking about whether or not to make a purchase on my own that will boost my sales and I'll earn the commission on, or just pay the discounted price as a consultant) She mentioned needing to remember that we have to pay taxes on our commissions.

So....How much do you set aside to pay taxes on what you've earned with PC? I thought that with all the write offs, postage, gas, some groceries, supplies, etc, that I wouldn't really end up paying taxes. Is there a certain percentage that we should be expecting to pay? Is there a way to figure it out before tax time?

Re: taxesI'm new to PC so I can't say about PC specifically, but my husband has a small business, now incorporated but a sole proprietorship for many years, so I have some experience with small business taxes.

We have a separate bank account just for taxes and put 15% in that account. At the end of the year, that covers the taxes (corporate, sales tax, etc. but not personal - they're taken out of salary now) and some years we have a little left over. It's not a bad habit to get into now. If you don't end up using it to pay taxes, you have a nice little savings at the end of the year.

Re: taxesI work for myself, teaching horseback riding. I was told by someone cant remember who to put 30% away b/c you have to pay Tax, Social Security and some other thing... So thats what I've been doing this year. In the past my expenses always were more then I made so my tax was next to nothing but this year Thank G-d we are doing better. Also when you own your own buisness you need to turn a profit in a certain amount of years or they consider it a hobby!!! I will probably find myself an accountant/CPA for this or next year b/c its getting to complicated for me!

Re: taxesI set aside 25% after expenses.

Re: taxeswhat if you claim a loss with PC? I was thinking I might not have to pay in. Guess it is time to call the tax people.

Re: taxes
pamperedpnina said:
I work for myself, teaching horseback riding. I was told by someone cant remember who to put 30% away b/c you have to pay Tax, Social Security and some other thing... So thats what I've been doing this year. In the past my expenses always were more then I made so my tax was next to nothing but this year Thank G-d we are doing better. Also when you own your own buisness you need to turn a profit in a certain amount of years or they consider it a hobby!!! I will probably find myself an accountant/CPA for this or next year b/c its getting to complicated for me!

The theory that: if you claim losses three out of five years, the IRS will assume your business is a hobby.... is a myth. The truth is that if you have income in 3 out of 5 years, you are a business.

Re: taxesI file jointly w/ my dh and I usually end up breaking even after it's all said and done, I don't set anything aside for taxes.

Re: taxesSince it's your first year and you have invested money to try and start your business, there's a good chance that you will even out and break even or maybe even show a loss.

You will need to do a Schedule C with your tax return. To get a copy of the Schedule C and instructions on what type of info you will need to provide the IRS (or the person who prepares your taxes) click here.

I agree that in the future you should plan to put back 30-33% in a seperate account. If you need it, then you don't have to panic come tax time. If you don't need all of it, you have yourself a nice little savings account that you can use for kit enhancement month -or- doing something like taking a family vacation. ;)

1. What is "Someone Posted Something That Made Me Think" about?

"Someone Posted Something That Made Me Think" is a popular discussion topic among Pampered Chef consultants and customers. It is a way for people to share interesting or thought-provoking content that may relate to the products or business. It can range from recipes and cooking tips to personal experiences and inspirational quotes.

2. Who can post in the "Someone Posted Something That Made Me Think" discussion?

Anyone who is a member of the Pampered Chef community, whether as a consultant or customer, can post in this discussion. It is encouraged to participate and share your thoughts and ideas.

3. How can I find the "Someone Posted Something That Made Me Think" discussion?

The discussion can be found on the Pampered Chef consultant community website or on the company's social media pages. You can also search for the hashtag #SPSMT on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter to see the latest posts.

4. Can I share something that is not related to Pampered Chef in the discussion?

While the discussion is primarily focused on content related to Pampered Chef, it is also a place for personal connections and conversations. You can share something that is not directly related to the company, as long as it follows the community guidelines and is respectful.

5. How often is the "Someone Posted Something That Made Me Think" discussion updated?

The discussion is updated regularly, as new posts and comments are added by members of the community. It is recommended to check in frequently to stay up to date with the latest content and discussions.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cmdtrgd
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
raebates
  • scottcooks
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • jenniferlynne