• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ship Things Home Vs Take Them on the Plane

In summary, it seems like it would be better to ship the items rather than bring them with you. There are some things you can take with you, like a tote bag and a trivet, but most of the stuff you'll need to buy will be at the conference.
redsoxgirl
So from what I understand from previous posts, we get all kinds of goodies and I've read we should bring an extra tote/bag to bring the stuff home.

Given the restrictions on some airlines, I'm wondering if it'd be wiser to ship the stuff home to yourself rather than deal with paying extra or checking something?

FedEx is there right?

Last edited:
I shipped a box home last year. I think it was a lot easier. The only down side is you don't have the stuff right when you get home, you have a wait a couple of days.

Ship it home, you won't have to worry about carrying it back to the hotel, etc.

We get a few things that can be stuffed into your luggage, if you leave a little room: tote bag, RUFTH trivet, 2 table gifts (lunch and banquet), packet with catalog and some paperwork. If you are good and don't buy anything else, then that's really not a lot to worry about. But if you buy things from the vendors or from HO (mini catalogs, recipe cards) then you could have a whole bunch of stuff.I've shipped things and it's very convenient. But it can be costly if you have really heavy stuff in the box. And as Shana pointed out, you won't have them right away.

It all depends on what we get and what else you buy. If you get a bunch of things and don't want to deal with lugging them back to the hotel and stuffing your bags I would definitely ship everything I could. Shipping is so quick these days that you would only be waiting a day or so for it to be delivered anyway.

I always leave room in my bag to fit extras in but have shipped just for the convenience. Now with the extra costs for luggage and over-sized/weight luggage I would definitely look to ship, again depending on what I get/buy.

Last year I shipped my stuff home, and it was there in a few days---no biggie.

I am not going this year, but if I were, I would still ship it. For one, you don't have to carry it all around with you (I am speaking of suprise packs, and then any catalogs/stuff you buy). Plus with the recent turn of events with the airlines (some airlines now charge you for your FIRST carry on) I would just pay the $8-10 it would cost to send the box on its merry way! :)

Plus when the boxes (yes boxes) arrived just after my return home, I still felt like I was getting stuff from NC!

First timerWhat kind of things do you get at NC. How much money do you think I should bring. Someone said somthing about catalogs. Why would you get catalogs at NC. Thanks for all the help. Just starting to think about what to bring with me. Deb

mdmomof3 said:
What kind of things do you get at NC. How much money do you think I should bring. Someone said somthing about catalogs. Why would you get catalogs at NC. Thanks for all the help. Just starting to think about what to bring with me. Deb
see my post from above:
chefann said:
We get a few things that can be stuffed into your luggage, if you leave a little room: tote bag, RUFTH trivet, 2 table gifts (lunch and banquet), packet with catalog and some paperwork. If you are good and don't buy anything else, then that's really not a lot to worry about. But if you buy things from the vendors or from HO (mini catalogs, recipe cards) then you could have a whole bunch of stuff.
HO offers some paperwork for purchase, which is a good way to have it right away to get labeling, or to send to past hosts. They offer us (typically) recipe cards, invitations and mini catalogs. Not full-size catalogs.

You can also really increase the amount of stuff you need to take home by shopping at the vendors. The featured speaker usually has a booth with recordings and/or books for sale; and Merrill will be there with some cash and carry items. Don't underestimate the siren call of the Merrill area, either. It's easy to get caught up in the frenzy and walk away with a lot of stuff. A clustermate of mine usually drops about $200 at Merrill each conference.

Shipping home is great! We ship together so the cost is very minimal!

I vote to ship. I always get a mystery box, and stuff whatever else I can stuff into that.

FYI... mystery boxes are boxes that HO makes available to purchase. Filled with discountinued merchandise. It's a blast to open and then swap with others. Last year, in addition to merchandise boxes, they also had business based boxes. If anyone gets a white travel mug that they don't want, I am ready, willing and able to trade or take it off your hands!

mdmomof3 said:
What kind of things do you get at NC. How much money do you think I should bring. Someone said somthing about catalogs. Why would you get catalogs at NC. Thanks for all the help. Just starting to think about what to bring with me. Deb
How much money do you need? I bring about $50 cash and rarely use that much. It's mostly for taxi, tips, snacks, things like that. I prefer to use my credit or debit card for most things. Then I have a record of the purchases for tax purposes. Vendors accept all credit cards and the items that you can get from PC (mini catalogs, etc) are paid with your PC debit card - which they can look up for you.

Mystery Boxes
PamperChefCarol said:
I vote to ship. I always get a mystery box, and stuff whatever else I can stuff into that.

FYI... mystery boxes are boxes that HO makes available to purchase. Filled with discountinued merchandise. It's a blast to open and then swap with others. Last year, in addition to merchandise boxes, they also had business based boxes. If anyone gets a white travel mug that they don't want, I am ready, willing and able to trade or take it off your hands!
How much are the mystery boxes? That's such a neat idea!

Also, my hospitality director suggested the packing of an empty duffel bag. Being in Alaska, not many of us are checking a bag so the duffel would be the checked bag on the way home - this way everything I need at conference will be in my carry on. Being there only a few days I don't want my luggage lost and have nothing to wear :eek:

They usually have them for different $ amounts. I think they arey like $15, $25 and $40... or something like that. It is really fun, especially the excitement when everyone is opening and trading.

frozenchef said:
How much are the mystery boxes? That's such a neat idea!

Also, my hospitality director suggested the packing of an empty duffel bag. Being in Alaska, not many of us are checking a bag so the duffel would be the checked bag on the way home - this way everything I need at conference will be in my carry on. Being there only a few days I don't want my luggage lost and have nothing to wear :eek:
They haven't mentioned the mystery boxes ths year I don't think so they may not have them. They ranged from $15 to $40.

mystery boxesWhat kind of thing are in these boxes? How many can you buy? This sound fun. I love surprises so this will be fun.

As Beth mentioned, they may not have them this year. Especially with the recent popularity of the outlet. The boxes are usually filled with retired products, the same things that are sold in the outlet. Last year they also had a box available with logo items that had been offered as incentives.

And 2 years ago? they had free cake mixes.

thebowman said:
And 2 years ago? they had free cake mixes.

Yeah and that was one of the years that I couldn't go but I ended up getting someone else's box at my house and was charged for it! It was a big headache for me!

1. What are the benefits of shipping items home instead of taking them on the plane?

Shipping items home can save you from having to carry heavy or bulky items during your travels. It also reduces the risk of items getting damaged or lost during your trip. Additionally, shipping can be more cost-effective for larger or fragile items.

2. Is it better to take items on the plane if I have a short trip?

If you have a short trip, it may be more convenient to take your items on the plane with you. This way, you can avoid the extra time and effort of shipping and potentially having to wait for your items to arrive at your destination.

3. Can I ship food items home from a different country?

It is possible to ship food items home from a different country, but you should be aware of any customs regulations and restrictions. Some countries may prohibit certain food items from being shipped, so it's best to check with the shipping company beforehand.

4. How can I ensure my items are properly packaged for shipping?

To ensure your items are properly packaged for shipping, use sturdy boxes or containers and secure them with strong packing tape. Fill any empty spaces with bubble wrap or packing peanuts to prevent movement during transit. It's also a good idea to label the package as fragile if necessary.

5. Are there any additional fees or restrictions for shipping items home?

The cost of shipping items home will depend on the weight and size of the package, as well as the shipping company and method chosen. Some items may also have restrictions or additional fees, such as hazardous materials or international shipments. It's important to check with the shipping company for any specific guidelines or costs.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• minirottie
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefa
  • ChefBeckyD
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
  • alabama pc cons.