• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Scared to book my first party - Any tips for a newbie?

In summary, booking your first party with Pampered Chef can be scary, but it's important to remember that everyone has to start somewhere. Reach out to your upline and fellow consultants for support and don't be afraid to shadow them at parties. To approach potential hosts, be enthusiastic and confident in yourself and the products. The holiday season can be a great time to book parties and offering special holiday-themed products can help entice guests. As for personal fears, one consultant shares how she overcame her fear of booking her first party and ended up with a successful experience. To get your photo to show when posting, make sure to upload it to your profile and insert it using the "Insert/edit image" button.
Shonda1107
:eek: I have never been to a party, never owned any PC products prior, did some heavy research and decided up TPC rather independently (after asking detailed questions of my final three DS companies before making my final decision). Well, my SS month 1 begins in January and I am a nervous wreck about calling anyone to book a show. I feel like I won't be taken seriously, that no one will want to spend money that close to the end of Xmas, etc.

I've read so much material that I am dizzy and I know all the year book answers to how to get started but I think it would help to hear of other fear stories and how things turned out. Ciao!

Shonda

PS, how do you get your photo to show? I have uploaded it but it won't appear when I post.

First of all, welcome to PC and our virtual cluster here at Chef Success. There are lots of things on here to help you out. I was in the same boat as you never been to a show, seen a book a million years ago, and seen an ad and started asking people what they knew about PC, everything was positive, so I started searching online and here I am. Hopefully you will find all the answers you need here.

On the photo, did you select to show the avatar?

Shonda

First off - don't worry! I started last August and have not looked back. What I did was send an email to all my friends with the title - I need a Favour. The body of the text asked my friends to help me get my new business started by hosting a show for me to get the ball rolling. As women love to help other women I was able to book a bunch of shows - My first show ended up being $1000! From there you keep the bookings up.
Also, think about activities that happen in your region in January and try to get a table there. I am hosting a "Get to know you neighbour" open house in the middle of Feb and you can do the same in Jan.

I have worked in Sales for years and sales do tend to drop off in Jan - but only the first week or 2 and then they climb. Plus, its an opportunity to get out there and start really drumming up business. Blast your block with flyers, blast your email contacts, talk to anyone and everyone from the grocery store line up to the returns line up at Walmart about your new business.

If it all fails, do a search on this site for the thread about changing your SS1 month and see what it says.

Good luck and welcome. This board is amazing and you will always find your answers here!

Misty

Welcome! I was like you when I started PC in August. I had never been to a party and never done direct sales before. I decided I wanted a part time job and someone had mentioned PC products in passing so I looked it up online and here I am now. I'm sure you have read it, and will hear it over and over but the phone is your life line in this business!! There are some great scripts to follow in your welcome booklet when calling potential hosts. I hope it's as easy for you as it was for me. Out of the first 10 people I called to book a show, only 2 said no and I've had 4+ kitchen shows a month since then. Good luck!

Don't worry; you will get bookings! If you're anything like me, when I tell people that I sell PC, they always say "I love PC!" Everyone loves PC!
I would start with your family & friends...tell them you're starting your own biz, and you would appreciate if they'd host one of your first shows. Let them know about the SS bonuses; when people feel like they're helping you earn things, they like to help!
Sometimes people think Jan is a bad month for shows. If you hear that from people, just move on to the next person. The last 2 years, Jan has been one of my top months!
(this site is very helpful too! welcome!)

Hi Shonda!

Welcome to our great group! I'm not a year into this business myself but I"m loving every minute of it!

I too didn't know where to start with asking, so I came here for suggestions too.. Everyone here was great !! I agree with the others... start with family and friends. My best friend had my first show and I just did a second show for her last month. As you have those first shows, you will get bookings from them and from there your business will begin to blossom!

Cheers

Welcome!

Your excitement is contageious! Share with EVERYONE--even that synical person you thought that would never be into it. You just never know. I would suggest carrying a few products around in your car with you and when you approach someone to do a show, offer to drop by with some products for them to see.

Also...
How To Get Your First Six Bookings
by Belinda Ellsworth​

Your first objective in starting your new business is to date six shows in a 30-day period of time.

Some of you may say, "Well, I came into this business to do only one show a week," or "I came into this to do it part-time." That's fine. This is your own business, but I believe that to really establish yourself in the very beginning, it is very important that you hold six shows in a three- to four-week period of time. If that has to be extended over just a couple of days, that's okay, but the closer you can make that time frame, the better off you will be.

Here's why:

1. Practice, practice, practice.

The only way to get really good in this business is to practice, practice, practice. The more you do it, the better you get and the more comfortable you become. Usually, from these first six shows, you will have a couple that are going to be fantastic; a couple that are not going to work out so well; and a couple that will be average. So, after those first few weeks, you'll be able to look back and evaluate and feel very good about the entire experience.

This way, you will really get the hang of it and gain confidence, and with each show, you'll have something to compare to the last show -- what you liked, what you didn't, how you would do it differently. If you don't have another show scheduled for four weeks, and you go out and do a show that isn't the greatest, you're less likely to feel confident about getting on the phone to secure more bookings. So, get out there and get those six shows lined up in the beginning.

2. You will be able to recoup your investment, and have cash in your pocket.

That alone will make you feel good about yourself and the business. If, after doing those first shows, you decide it isn't for you, what have you lost? Absolutely nothing. You can walk away from the business, saying it was a very positive experience, it just wasn't for you.

3. You will get an influx of bookings to create your future business.

This gives you new business, and you can place those bookings wherever you want them in your calendar: one show a week, two shows a week or three shows a week.

Getting those first six bookings dated

Sit down and make a list. When you're new, you're also very excited. So it's human nature to want to jump on the phone and call everybody you know, trying to explain everything about the business to them. But since you're so brand new, you don't know everything about the company, so the best thing for you to do is to sit down and make a list of everyone you can think of and put them in your Booking Lead Notebook.

There are five different areas that you know people:

1. All the places you've ever lived, i.e., current neighbors, past neighbors, acquaintances, people in the communities, landlords, the realtor who sold you your home, or from whom you purchased a home, etc.

2. All the places you've ever worked, i.e., co-workers, associates, past bosses, past employees, employees of other firms with whom you did business, etc.

3. All the places you've ever gone to school, i.e., grade school, middle school, high school, college; friends from classes or seminars you've attended, i.e., swimming, yoga, scrapbooking, cake decorating, etc.; past teachers, past administrators, etc.

4. Friends and family. This is the category that is the easiest to think of but, ironically, these are the people who will come through for you the least. So, when your life-long best friend decides not to have a show for you, get over it and move on to the next one. We find that those who make the best hostesses are your second and third level of friends, i.e., the people you don't see often but are on your Christmas card list.

5. Organizations, committees and affiliations. This could be comprised of acquaintances or members of your church; recreational activities, such as bowling and/or softball leagues; the gym where you work out, i.e., Curves, fitness centers, YMCA; children's sports activities, i.e., soccer, Little League, dance, gymnastics, etc.; committees or groups you've belonged to, i.e., scouts, political affiliations, bunco or ladies' groups; organizations like the Jaycees, leads clubs or women's business groups.

When you've completed your list, your goal is to get a personal invitation to show the product in person, and from there secure a date in your one-month period of time.

For those first shows, it's important to open several chains of business through people from as many different of the above categories as possible. That way, you will be exposed to many different circles and areas, which makes for a healthy and diversified start to your new business.

Once you get your six bookings dated, you will continue to refer back to your original list in your booking lead notebook for ongoing bookings.

Getting on the Phone: What To Say
by Belinda Ellsworth
Create Interest​

When you begin to make your calls for your first shows, your goal is to simply create interest in what you’re doing. You don’t want to give too much information over the phone. It’s been said that someone can be talked into, and out of, something in about five to ten seconds. When you’re new to the business, you’re so excited and enthusiastic about your new venture, you tend to want to tell them everything in a very short period of time.

See the People
Even if they ask: "What is it?" "What kind of product is it?" "What are you doing now?" Simply ask them: "Why don’t you let me come by and show you what I’m doing?" This is often better because the product will speak for itself. It will also create excitement for those who end up having the shows because they’ve already seen it, and they have firsthand knowledge to tell the guests they will be inviting.

"Hi, Joyce. This is (your name). I was wondering if you’re going to be home this weekend (or this evening or afternoon). (Wait for response.) Great! I’d love to come over for a quick visit -- I have something really exciting to show you!" Or "I’d love to stop by for a few minutes to show you something new and exciting!"

As the saying goes, "A picture is worth a thousand words." So, it’s important to get out and personally show the product as much as possible in dating those first six shows. It’s very difficult to create enthusiasm or excitement or sparkle through a telephone wire, so get out and see the people . . . and show them!

Once you get there, take a few minutes to relax and engage in small talk about common friends, family, etc. Then begin by saying, "I wanted to stop by to tell you about my new business and show you some of the products." Show her some of your favorite products and your current catalog. Get her excited, and let her know that you could get her some of these products for free (or discounted), and that it would help you get started in your new business, as well. Win/win! "Mary, you could get that absolutely free just for having a few friends in. You would be a great hostess!"

Let her know when you are booking your first shows and select a date that’s good for both of you. Then proceed to coach then for a successful show. (See Hostess Coaching.)

Get the guest list immediately! I really believe that if you send out invitations and get a guest list, that is your insurance policy that the show is actually going to hold. It has been proven that you will have less reschedules and cancellations if you get the guest list. If you are not going to mail out invitations, I still highly suggest you get the list. (See The Guest List: Your Key to Success.)

Ask for help
If you’re not able to personally see someone, you can set a date over the telephone. Don’t hesitate to ask people for their help. "Hi, Susie. This is (your name). Do you have a couple minutes (or is this a good time)?" (Wait for response) "I’m just getting started in a new business, and I was wondering if you could help me out by being one of my first shows." Or "I was wondering if you could help me out by having a show. I need three large and three small. Could you help me out with one of these?

Often, people are hesitant about having enough time, so when you talk about a "small show," this seems doable to them. Ultimately, a show is a show, but this helps people feel that maybe their commitment isn’t as large as it would be to have a large show. At this point, they don’t fully understand that there really isn’t that much work involved in having a show, so it helps overcome their objection to helping you out.

Hold a launch show
Whether someone does your launch show or you do it yourself, it's very important that you do your own show in your own home. This is the perfect opportunity to show your friends and family what you're doing. They can see and understand the products, and the excitement that is generated. It's also a great place to secure future bookings. You may want to consider having more than one launch show if you have several pockets of friends, or to catch those people who weren't able to attend the first launch show.

Anne that is great advice! When I get home I will be copying your post to my PC notes... They will come in handy when I need a booking perk myself! Thanks for sharing!

Cheers

Thank you Anne and everyone else for the words of encouragement. Very helpful information that I will use to get started and to keep myself busy throughout my PC career. Thank you again!

Related to Scared to book my first party - Any tips for a newbie?

1. How do I overcome my fear of booking my first party?

Booking your first party can be intimidating, especially if you have never been to a party or owned any Pampered Chef products before. The best way to overcome your fear is to remember that everyone has to start somewhere. You have done your research and chosen Pampered Chef for a reason, so trust in the company and the products. Also, don't be afraid to reach out to your upline or fellow consultants for advice and support.

2. Any tips for a newbie who has never been to a party?

As a newbie, it can be helpful to attend a few parties as a guest to get a feel for how they are run. You can also ask your upline or fellow consultants if you can shadow them at a party to see how they do things. Additionally, make sure to familiarize yourself with the products and the catalog so you can confidently answer any questions your guests may have.

3. How do I approach booking parties without feeling like I won't be taken seriously?

Remember that you are representing a well-respected and successful company. Have confidence in yourself and the products you are offering. When approaching potential hosts, be enthusiastic and genuine. Let them know why you chose Pampered Chef and how it has benefited you. This will help you come across as a serious and professional consultant.

4. How can I book parties during the busy holiday season?

The holiday season can actually be a great time to book parties. Many people are looking for unique and practical gift ideas, and Pampered Chef offers just that. When reaching out to potential hosts, mention the convenience of having a party during the holiday season. You can also offer special holiday-themed products or gift sets to entice guests.

5. Can you share a personal fear story and how things turned out?

As a consultant, I was once afraid to book my first party because I didn't know anyone in the area and was worried no one would show up. However, I pushed through my fear and reached out to my local community through social media and word of mouth. To my surprise, I ended up with a full party and even received several bookings from guests at that party. It turned out to be a successful and enjoyable experience, and I realized that my fear was unfounded.

PS. How do I get my photo to show when I post?

To get your photo to show when you post, make sure you have uploaded it to your profile on the Pampered Chef website. Then, when posting, click on the "Insert/edit image" button and select your photo from the "My Images" tab. This will insert your photo into your post.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• sperts
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • TinasKitchen
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
TinasKitchen
  • Alanna1