• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Satisfy Your Craving: Goulash Soup and a Greek Appetizer!

In summary, the conversation revolves around a shared love for goulash soup, with one person being introduced to it while in the military and another having it as a staple in their family. They are seeking an authentic recipe and discussing the availability of rye, with one person offering to share a recipe from their grandmother. They also discover that they live in the same area in Peoria, Arizona.
casescafe
Has anyone ever had Goulash Soup? I first had the opportunity to sample this delicious recipe when I was in the military and on my way back to the states following a four year assignment on the Greek Island of Crete. I was visiting with some friends in Germany, had a bowl of goulash soup and was immediately hooked.

A few years later, I introduced my wife to goulash soup while on a 2nd honeymoon (again in Germany) and she too became hooked. We have been to a number of German restaurants over the years and have only found a few that offered goulash soup. We recently took a trip to San Diego, where we found a place that had the most authentic goulash soup, but (understandably) they wouldn't part with the recipe.

Does anyone have an authentic, family recipe they would be willing to share? I've checked out the usual online sources and have not been able to come up with one that's suitable to my tastes.

I'm also trying to locate one of the key ingredients... rye. Does anyone use it and where do you get it?

Please help me satisfy my craving:chef:

Here's a recipe for a Greek Appetizer that I picked up while stationed on Crete. You may have had it on a Gyro.

Attachments

• Tzatziki.doc
    22 KB · Views: 282
john - goulash is a staple in my family. i will get the recipe for you from my grandma.

also...im from peoria, arizona!! i grew up on 75th & sweetwater :D

Meghan,

That would be great! Thanks in advance.

I live just south of Sweetwater & 83rd Ave. The Mormon Church on the corner backs up to my cul-de-sac.

just got an email from my grandma saying she would bring the recipe into work tomorrow and email it to me.

i know exactly where you are in peoria. i lived on dahlia drive on the other side of oasis elementary from you. but my best friend still lives on aster. :D small world.

What ingredients do I need to make Goulash Soup?

To make Goulash Soup, you will need:

• 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp paprika
  • 1 tsp caraway seeds
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 4 cups beef broth
  • 1 cup elbow macaroni
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Can I use a slow cooker to make Goulash Soup?

Yes, you can use a slow cooker to make Goulash Soup. Simply brown the ground beef and onions in a pan before adding them to the slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.

How do I make the Greek Appetizer?

To make the Greek Appetizer, you will need:

• 1 block feta cheese
  • 1 tomato, diced
  • 1 cucumber, diced
  • 1/4 cup kalamata olives, chopped
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Crumble feta cheese into a bowl and top with diced tomato, cucumber, and olives. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with oregano, salt, and pepper. Serve with pita chips or crusty bread.

Can I make the Greek Appetizer ahead of time?

Yes, you can make the Greek Appetizer ahead of time. Simply prepare the ingredients and store them separately in the fridge. When ready to serve, assemble the appetizer and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with oregano, salt, and pepper.

What is the best way to store leftover Goulash Soup?

The best way to store leftover Goulash Soup is to let it cool completely and then transfer it to an airtight container. It can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, simply reheat on the stove or in the microwave.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jcwarr
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
jcwarr
  • tpopescu
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • nikked