• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Healthy Alternatives to Cream Soups and Onion Soup Mix

In summary, for a healthier alternative to cream soups, you can use pureed vegetables or low-fat dairy such as milk or Greek yogurt. Instead of onion soup mix, you can use a homemade seasoning mix or a combination of dried onion flakes, garlic powder, and beef bouillon. To lower the sodium content, you can use low-sodium broth or make your own soup base using herbs and spices without added salt. For thickening soup, you can use alternative flours such as almond, coconut, or oat flour. Finally, for canned cream soups, you can make your own base using pureed vegetables, low-fat milk, and a thickening agent or use unsweetened coconut milk or pureed beans as a dairy-free
jcwarr
all the recipes sound so good and i am a huge fan of the slow cooker as well - but here's my dilemma. for a few reasons - trying to eat healthier and being affected by it - i am avoiding things like creamy soups from campbell's and lipton dried onion soup mix. they are fantastic for flavor - but i was wondering if anyone had any alternatives who might be trying to avoid this as well. i have found substitutes for the dried soup mix but not so much with the cream soups. thanks for any ideas!!

The key to slowcooking is the liquid. You can probably substitute low sodium chicken broth or even water for most of the recipes. For recipes that need something creamy, try adding fat free sour cream or even plain yogurt. For flavor, use Mrs. Dash or one of the Pampered Chef seasonings. I like to use fruit (see my cranberry pork roast recipe) instead of soups and I lean toward low fat and low sodium in deference to my FIL.

slow cooker ideas and missing infothanks for the great ideas!

i forgot to say in my original post that they contain msg which is why i don't want to eat them!! :)

1. How can I make a cream soup without using heavy cream?

To make a healthier alternative to cream soups, you can use pureed vegetables such as cauliflower or cashews as a base. You can also use low-fat milk or Greek yogurt instead of heavy cream.

2. What can I use instead of onion soup mix?

Instead of onion soup mix, you can use a combination of dried onion flakes, garlic powder, and beef bouillon. You can also use a homemade seasoning mix with herbs and spices.

3. Are there any low-sodium options for cream soups and onion soup mix?

Yes, you can use low-sodium broth or bouillon in place of regular broth or onion soup mix. You can also make your own soup base using herbs and spices without added salt.

4. Can I use alternative flours for thickening soup?

Absolutely! Instead of using all-purpose flour, you can use almond flour, coconut flour, or oat flour to thicken your soup. These options are gluten-free and can add extra nutrients to your dish.

5. What are some healthy alternatives to canned cream soups?

You can make your own cream soup base using a combination of pureed vegetables, low-fat milk, and a thickening agent like cornstarch or flour. You can also use unsweetened coconut milk or pureed beans as a dairy-free option.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
lt1jane
Replies
Views
Jennie4PC
Replies
Views
caroladams
  • whiteyteresa
  • General Chat