• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Easy Pot Roast Recipe without Onion Soup Mix: Tips for Delicious Gravy

In summary, Amanda is trying to prepare a pot roast with only what she has on hand. She has an onion, celery, and carrot, but no potatoes. She also forgot to pick up an onion soup mix, so she will need to improvise. Her roast is less than two and a half pounds, so she will either cook it in the microwave or oven. She does not know the temperature or time for her roast, but she is sure that it will be good. She will make breakfast for dinner tonight and make the roast tomorrow.
babywings76
Gold Member
I have a pot roast that I want to cook today in my DCB. Problem is that I forgot to pick up an Onion soup mix. I only have cr. of mushroom soup. I have onions, celery, and carrots. I also forgot to pick up potatoes. So I only have instant mashed ones to prepare afterwards, so I hope to have some type of gravy. Does anyone know of what kind of spices/seasonings I can combine to make it go with the cream of mushroom soup? I also don't have any Coke, so I can't follow the recipes that call for that. Any help would be great!

do you have garlic?

Slice a few cloves into 1/4ths. Make some small slits in the roast and shove the garlic into it. Season with Itialian seas or just salt an pepper. Brown on all sides in SS pan (if available or any fry pan will do) Add a bit of water maybee 1/2 cup to the DCB

My roasts are always an experiment. I never do it the same way twice!

Order pizza.... ;)

etteluap70PC said:
do you have garlic?

Slice a few cloves into 1/4ths. Make some small slits in the roast and shove the garlic into it. Season with Itialian seas or just salt an pepper. Brown on all sides in SS pan (if available or any fry pan will do) Add a bit of water maybee 1/2 cup to the DCB

My roasts are always an experiment. I never do it the same way twice!

Do you cook it in the microwave or oven? What temp. and how long? My roast is a little less than 2 1/2 lbs.

hmmm, I just make my pot roast in the Pot with some beef broth and an onion - simmer it all day long - then I make mashed potatoes and some veggies - gravy, I use the broth that the roast cooked in all day strained and add some wondra flour -

I am sure you could cook it in the DCB with the cover on as well - timing is what I can't help you with -

Or you can do what Kacey said..............

well a friend just called me and I ended up spending too much time on the phone. I'll have to make the roast tomorrow! :) Tonight, I'll make breakfast for dinner. Gotta love bacon and Choc.chip banana pancakes! Yummy!

Amanda,
I had the same problem with my roast I forgot I didnt have any onion soup mix. So DH jusy threw in some seasonings before we went to church. Hopefully ot will be good.

1. Can I substitute the onion soup mix in this recipe with something else?

Yes, you can substitute the onion soup mix with a combination of beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and dried onion flakes. This will give your pot roast a similar flavor without the use of onion soup mix.

2. How can I make my gravy thicker?

You can make your gravy thicker by adding a slurry of cornstarch and water to the pot roast drippings. Mix 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water and slowly pour it into the hot drippings, stirring constantly until it reaches your desired thickness.

3. Can I use a different type of meat for this recipe?

Yes, you can use a different type of meat such as beef chuck roast or beef round roast. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly, as different cuts of meat may require different cooking times.

4. Do I have to sear the meat before cooking?

While searing the meat before cooking is not necessary, it does add an additional layer of flavor to the pot roast. If you choose to skip this step, your pot roast will still turn out delicious.

5. How long does it take to cook a pot roast in the oven?

The cooking time for a pot roast in the oven can vary depending on the size and type of meat used. On average, it takes about 2-3 hours to cook a 3-4 pound pot roast in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. It is important to use a meat thermometer to ensure the internal temperature reaches at least 145 degrees Fahrenheit for medium-rare or 160 degrees Fahrenheit for medium.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
lt1jane
  • babywings76
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ShelbyMichalek
  • jcwarr
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies