• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Salted Vs Unsalted Butter in Cookies?

In summary, it seems that unsalted butter is just as good as salted butter, and there is no difference between the two butters. However, if you want to
its_me_susan
I looked it up and it seems salt is just a preservative... but have you baked with it? I think I always do...? Will it effect anything?

The cooking site I looked up said:

omit about 1/4 teaspoon salt per 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter.

But my cookies rarely have salt...

Just wanted to know what everyone thought?

Susan :)

I use salted butter for my cookies, I use the amount the recipe calls for and I have not found any thing wrong with them. But I do buy unsaled butter for the fudge I make for Christmas. If a recipe calls for unsalted butter then I use it. I just keep a pound of it in my freezer and use it when needed.

I have used salted butter in baking. I'm not really sure what the salted butter does, but I use the amount called for in the recipe and then I just don't add any salt if it is called for. Things usually come out tasting fine and the salted is usually a little cheaper than the unsalted, so I would say go ahead.

You can use either salted or unsalted. If I use regular butter, I omit the salt in the cookie recipe if it states to use sweet (unsalted butter). Land O'Lakes website has some other good tips, too.

Thanks Ladies!!!

Great website-Baking911.comJust thought I would share this website with everyone. www.baking911.com
This is a great website to get tips and learn why certain ingredients are use in recipes and what they do. I have learned baking and cooking can be very scientific. You'll see what I mean when you check the website out.

Butter without salt is fresher. Salt is added as a preservative for a longer shelf life. This was from the website.

Have fun checking it out! :)

PCJen said:
Just thought I would share this website with everyone. www.baking911.com
This is a great website to get tips and learn why certain ingredients are use in recipes and what they do. I have learned baking and cooking can be very scientific. You'll see what I mean when you check the website out.

Butter without salt is fresher. Salt is added as a preservative for a longer shelf life. This was from the website.

What a great website! Thank you!!!

PCJen said:
Just thought I would share this website with everyone. www.baking911.com

THANKS! It's always great to find new tips to share at our shows! That gives us more value. :cool:

Salt vs. Unsalted ButterMy husband, a chef, tells me that unsalted butter is preferred for daily cooking and baking. There is no difference between the two butters. Salt is added as a preservative. Using the salted version will mean that cookies, etc. may taste more salty. Also, consider cutting back on the amount of salt in your recipe if you use salted butter. In addition, the salted version may not be good for people who are watching their sodium intake. Unsalted butter is sometimes called "sweet butter" because any butter created from sweet instead of sour cream is going to taste sweet. So, boxes labelled "sweet cream butter" will most likely be made from salted butter. :)

What is the difference between salted and unsalted butter in cookies?

The main difference between salted and unsalted butter in cookies is the amount of salt added. Salted butter has salt added during the churning process, while unsalted butter does not. This results in a difference in flavor and saltiness in the final product.

Can I substitute salted butter for unsalted butter in cookie recipes?

Yes, you can substitute salted butter for unsalted butter in cookie recipes. However, you will need to adjust the amount of added salt in the recipe accordingly. For every 1/2 cup of salted butter, you can reduce the added salt by 1/4 teaspoon.

What type of butter is better for making cookies?

Both salted and unsalted butter can be used for making cookies. It ultimately depends on personal preference and the recipe being used. Some bakers prefer the control of adding their own salt, while others enjoy the added flavor from salted butter.

Do salted and unsalted butter affect the texture of cookies differently?

Yes, the amount of salt in the butter can affect the texture of cookies. Salted butter can result in a slightly denser and chewier cookie, while unsalted butter can result in a lighter and crispier cookie. However, other factors such as the type of flour and baking time also play a role in the texture of cookies.

How should I store salted and unsalted butter for making cookies?

Salted and unsalted butter should be stored in the same way for making cookies. It is recommended to keep butter in the refrigerator in its original packaging or in an airtight container. When ready to use, let the butter come to room temperature before using in the recipe.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Lisa/ChefBear