• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Resurrection Story Cookies - a Family Activity

In summary, these cookies are made the evening before and cooked in a warm oven overnight so they will be ready to eat on Easter morning.
janetupnorth
Gold Member
Why not try this recipe and create a meaningful way to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ with your children/grandchildren?! These cookies are made the evening before and cooked in a warm oven overnight so they will be ready to eat on Easter morning.Resurrection Story CookiesIngredients & Supplies:3 egg whites
1 cup whole pecans
1 tsp vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
zip-lock plastic bag
wooden spoon
tape
a Bible Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Place pecans in the plastic bag and let children beat them with the wooden spoon to break into small pieces. Discuss how after Jesus was arrested. He was beaten by the Roman soldiers.Read John 19:1-3
Put the vinegar into a mixing bowl and let each child smell the strong aroma. Talk about when Jesus was thirsty on the cross, that He was given vinegar to drink.Read John 19:28-30
Add egg whites to the vinegar (egg represents life). Discuss how Jesus gave His life to give us life.Read John 10:10
Sprinkle a little salt into each child's hand. Let them taste it and brush the rest into the bowl. Explain that this represents the salty tears shed by Jesus' followers, and the bitterness of our own sins.Read Luke 23:27
So far the ingredients are not very appetizing. Add 1 cup sugar. Explain that the sweetest part of the story is that Jesus died because He loves us. He wants us to know and belong to Him.Read Psalms 34:8 and John 3:16
Beat the ingredients together with a mixer on high speed for 12-15 minutes until stiff peaks are formed. Explain that the color white represents the purity in God's eyes of those whose sins have been cleansed by Jesus.Read Isaiah 1:18 and John 3:1-3
Fold in the broken pecans. Drop cookies by a rounded teaspoon onto cookie sheet covered with wax paper. Explain that each mound represents the rocky tomb where Jesus' body was lain.Read Matthew 27:57-60
Put the cookies in the oven, close the door. TURN THE OVEN OFF. Give each child a piece of tape and seal the oven door together. Explain that Jesus' tomb was sealed.Read Matthew 27:65-66
Now it's time to go to sleep. Explain to your children that they may feel sad to leave the cookies in the oven overnight. Jesus' followers were in despair when the tomb was sealed.Read John 16:20 & 22
On Resurrection (Easter) morning, open the oven and give everyone a cookie. Notice that the surface of the cookie is cracked. Take a bite. The cookies are hollow! On the first Resurrection, Jesus' followers were amazed to find the tomb empty.Read Matthew 28:1-9 - He has risen!!!!

That is such a great way to help children understand the TRUE meaing of easter! Glad I read this before I went to the store. Gonna do this with my two year old. Thanks Janet!

What a great way to share the story in a way children can understand!

Thank you for sharing this! I was looking for something this week to solidify the whole idea. Great visual!

That is such a cool recipe and story to give kids the real meaning of Easter!

Every year during church, the little kids make a type of resurrection cookie. Take a marshmallow and dip it in butter, then into cinnamon sugar. Wrap it up in a crescent roll and seal all the edges. When they bake, the marshmallow "disappears" in the tomb of crescent roll!

Yours seems like it would be much more of an "aha!" moment for the kids, since they stay in overnight.

Thanks Janet! That sounds like fun. We are doing the Resurrection Eggs with Micah - but I think I'd like to do this too. He loves to bake and help out in the kitchen, I think he would totally love this. He is such a boy = he learns best by doing.

ChefBeckyD said:
Thanks Janet! That sounds like fun. We are doing the Resurrection Eggs with Micah - but I think I'd like to do this too. He loves to bake and help out in the kitchen, I think he would totally love this. He is such a boy = he learns best by doing.

I did them last year for the first time with the kids - they loved it! Sammie TOTALLY got it at age 5, Kyle was 3 and grasped most of it...he totally understands this year so it will be fun to watch him.

Kyle also is my little kitchen helper...

Not to sound too stupid but

when do you start this - exact time I mean and when would you take these out of the oven - we get up for sunrise service about 4:30am and leave about 5:45am and then after the service, we have breakfast at church, we usually get home about 8:30am.

I just want to make sure that I do this right the first time and not to be fumbling around - I want this to WORK out (I was going to do this last year from the post on here but I was afraid to ask questions then)

Thanks and I still might have more questions

:chef:

whiteyteresa said:
Not to sound too stupid but

when do you start this - exact time I mean and when would you take these out of the oven - we get up for sunrise service about 4:30am and leave about 5:45am and then after the service, we have breakfast at church, we usually get home about 8:30am.

I just want to make sure that I do this right the first time and not to be fumbling around - I want this to WORK out (I was going to do this last year from the post on here but I was afraid to ask questions then)

Thanks and I still might have more questions

:chef:

You could probably do them after dinner if you want to get them out at 4:30 a.m. or if you want to get them out at 8:30 a.m. do them right before bed about 8 or 8:30...

whiteyteresa said:

We usually get home around that time too, maybe a little earlier but not much.

I don't think you sound stupid by the way! I think it is a great questions.

You definitely don't want to "mess up" the resurrection!

So if I understand correctly, the cookies should be in the oven about 12 hours - turned off - RIGHT???

~

whiteyteresa said:
So if I understand correctly, the cookies should be in the oven about 12 hours - turned off - RIGHT???

~

Yes, you turn on the oven when you start to 300 degrees then turn it off when the step calls for it...

Thank you so much for posting this. I have sent it to everyone I know. My mom runs a women's counseling center with their children and they are going to do this.

I remember thisThanks for the reminder. I saved this recipe years ago, before I even had kids. Now my boys are 5 and 9, definitely old enough for a visual lesson. I love things like this that help kids visualize scripture.

Happy Easter!

Katie:angel:

katiemoser said:
Thanks for the reminder. I saved this recipe years ago, before I even had kids. Now my boys are 5 and 9, definitely old enough for a visual lesson. I love things like this that help kids visualize scripture.

Happy Easter!

Katie:angel:

You should really check out famtime.com. Their books (sold through Focus on the Family too) are comprised of object lessons to help the kids understand. They are perfect for the ages of your kids.

Bump in case anyone wants to do these tonight.

We did these last night and had them this morning. How COOL! Even my 16 year old was impressed! My 6 and under crowd (including a couple of neighbors) got really into it and were SO impressed this morning. Thank you so much for sharing this - it really helped related the story of Easter to my little ones. :) Btw - they're yummy!

4kids4me said:
We did these last night and had them this morning. How COOL! Even my 16 year old was impressed! My 6 and under crowd (including a couple of neighbors) got really into it and were SO impressed this morning. Thank you so much for sharing this - it really helped related the story of Easter to my little ones. :) Btw - they're yummy!

I'm glad they really enjoyed it.

Funniest parts at our house:
1. Watching the little faces when they tasted the salt...
2. Hearing 6 year old DD exclaim after smelling the vinegar..."He drank that?!?!?!"
3. Watching them run to steal Daddy's duck tape to tape Mommy's oven closed!

The funniest parts here:
1. Whacking the ziploc so hard that my 6yo hit herself in the forehead.
2. My neighbor's son (7yo) yelling, "When do I get to beat his nuts?!" That even caused dh to come down stairs!
3. My 2yo saying "that's disgusting" when he smelled the vinegar.
4. The incredulous looks on their faces this morning when they broke open the cookies. :)

We ended up not being able to do the cookies.

Micah stayed home with a sitter last night, because DH and I were both working at church. I got home first at 7:15, and he was fast asleep. We tried to wake him up when DH got home at 7:40, but he was still so sleepy - he didn't really wake up until about 8:30, and then he still needed to take a bath and eat supper - so I guess the resurrection cookies will have to wait til next year.

That is a really cool way to tell the meaning of Easter. Thanks, Janet for sharing that with us. I loved it!:)

I definately want to do this next year; didn't see it in time this year. Thanks for sharing Janet!

I wanted to add that the 15 minutes it took to mix it was a long time for them to wait. Next year I'll have another activity for them to do in the interim. Like a coloring page, or a drawing of their own related to Easter. I lost their attention for a bit while mixing. Otherwise, this is probably one of the coolest things I've done with my kids! :)

4kids4me said:
I wanted to add that the 15 minutes it took to mix it was a long time for them to wait. Next year I'll have another activity for them to do in the interim. Like a coloring page, or a drawing of their own related to Easter. I lost their attention for a bit while mixing. Otherwise, this is probably one of the coolest things I've done with my kids! :)

Yes, this year I actually had them beat the nuts for a few seconds, then while mixing they finished working on beating the nuts...

We ended up not doing them. Luke was so tired after all he had to do Saturday that he was adamant about not wanting to do them, so, I was not going to make him when he could not be listening to me.

We did go over WHY we celebrate Easter all weekend and if asked he would tell you b/c Jesus died on the cross and came back alive and the big word for it is resurrection. It was so sweet coming from his mouth!

My girls have been playing this out with their dolls. Naomi (4) sounds so cute when she acts all surprised that the tomb is empty and "Jesus rose from the DEAD!" It's too cute to see them playing like this. But more importantly, it shows she really does understand what Easter is all about. :)

The resurrection is not just for EasterIt is relevant every day of the year.

Just because you missed out one day does not mean you have to wait until next year!

Bump from last year...

1. What are Resurrection Story Cookies?

Resurrection Story Cookies are a fun and interactive way to teach children about the story of Easter and Jesus' resurrection.

2. What ingredients do I need to make Resurrection Story Cookies?

You will need egg whites, white vinegar, sugar, salt, and pecans (or other nuts) to make the cookies. You will also need a Bible and some additional items for the activity.

3. How do I make Resurrection Story Cookies?

To make the cookies, you will need to follow a specific recipe and instructions, which can be found in the activity guide provided with the cookie cutter set. It involves mixing the ingredients, shaping the dough into symbols, and baking them. The activity guide also includes a script for telling the Easter story while making the cookies.

4. Can I use other recipes to make Resurrection Story Cookies?

Yes, you can use any recipe for meringue cookies to make Resurrection Story Cookies. However, the activity guide and cookie cutter set provide a specific recipe that works best for this activity and includes the symbols for the Easter story.

5. Is this activity suitable for all ages?

Yes, Resurrection Story Cookies are a great family activity for all ages. Younger children can help with mixing and shaping the dough, while older children can read the Bible passages and participate in the discussion about the Easter story. It's a fun and educational activity for the whole family to enjoy together.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefmoseley
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampchefsarah
  • chefmoseley
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • ChefNic