1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Salted vs Unsalted butter in cookies?

1. its_me_susan

its_me_susan Senior Member

I looked it up and it seems salt is just a preservative... but have you baked with it? I think I always do...? Will it effect anything?

The cooking site I looked up said:

omit about 1/4 teaspoon salt per 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter.

But my cookies rarely have salt...

Just wanted to know what everyone thought?

Susan :)

Dec 18, 2005
  2. Chef Michelle D

Chef Michelle D Member

I use salted butter for my cookies, I use the amount the recipe calls for and I have not found any thing wrong with them. But I do buy unsaled butter for the fudge I make for Christmas. If a recipe calls for unsalted butter then I use it. I just keep a pound of it in my freezer and use it when needed.

3. amya

amya Member

I have used salted butter in baking. I'm not really sure what the salted butter does, but I use the amount called for in the recipe and then I just don't add any salt if it is called for. Things usually come out tasting fine and the salted is usually a little cheaper than the unsalted, so I would say go ahead.

Dec 18, 2005
  4. Happy Mom

Happy Mom Member

You can use either salted or unsalted. If I use regular butter, I omit the salt in the cookie recipe if it states to use sweet (unsalted butter). Land O'Lakes website has some other good tips, too.

Dec 19, 2005
  5. its_me_susan

Thanks Ladies!!!

Dec 19, 2005
  6. PCJen

PCJen Member

Great website-Baking911.com

Just thought I would share this website with everyone. www.baking911.com
    This is a great website to get tips and learn why certain ingredients are use in recipes and what they do. I have learned baking and cooking can be very scientific. You'll see what I mean when you check the website out.

Butter without salt is fresher. Salt is added as a preservative for a longer shelf life. This was from the website.

Have fun checking it out! :)

Dec 19, 2005
  7. its_me_susan

What a great website! Thank you!!!

Dec 20, 2005
  8. BethCooks4U

BethCooks4U Legend Member Gold Member

THANKS! It's always great to find new tips to share at our shows! That gives us more value. :cool:

Dec 20, 2005
  9. Trish1953

Trish1953 Member Silver Member

Salt vs. Unsalted Butter

My husband, a chef, tells me that unsalted butter is preferred for daily cooking and baking. There is no difference between the two butters. Salt is added as a preservative. Using the salted version will mean that cookies, etc. may taste more salty. Also, consider cutting back on the amount of salt in your recipe if you use salted butter. In addition, the salted version may not be good for people who are watching their sodium intake. Unsalted butter is sometimes called "sweet butter" because any butter created from sweet instead of sour cream is going to taste sweet. So, boxes labelled "sweet cream butter" will most likely be made from salted butter. :)

Dec 20, 2005
Have something to add?