• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rusted Salad Chopper: Has This Happened to Anyone Else?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the issue of rusting in the Salad Chopper after being put in the dishwasher. Some users have experienced rusting, while others have not. Some suggested using stainless cleaner or a Magic Eraser to remove the rust. The company's stance on the issue was also discussed, with some feeling that the product should not be labeled as dishwasher safe. The overall consensus was that this issue is not common and not all products have had issues.
lesliec
I just got an order in on Thursday evening. This time I actually read all of the use and care guides. I stuck the Salad Chopper in the dishwasher, and it came out RUSTED!!!!!! I haven't even used it yet. I will definitely be calling tomorrow, but was wondering if this has happened to anyone else? I know everyone raves about this product!!!!

Mine rusted but not from the dishwasher. I left it soaking in water for a little while after a show (I got distracted when I was home) and when I went back the inside of the spring had rusted. I didn't call b/c I figured it was my fault.

Try the stainless cleaner if you have some (I had a stainless cleaner from Home Depot that works well too). I used the stainless cleaner on mine and it came right off. I think the dishwasher didn't dry all the water off the spring & it left that rust-look. Not sure if it is really rust, but the stainless cleaner took it right off.

I think you do have to take out the spring before putting it in the dishwasher (I didn't and the spring got a bit rusty). The rest of my chopper has been fine though.

You could also try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Occasionally when my hubby uses and washes my knives, he'll leave it in the dish drainer instead of drying it right away and they will be small little rust spots if a droplet of water sat on it. The Magic Eraser actually takes them off really well. My mom figured it out and shared that with me.

Ok, my spring in my Salad Chopper broke tonight! I almost cried.....I LOVE my chopper! And there is rust on the spring again and on the grey plastic area where the spring showed go.

I would def. call and send it in. They replaced mine, but told me that if I put it in the dishwasher again it would rust..... I told them that it specicifically said wash before using, dishwasher safe. The guy told me it was up to me. Are they always so rude?
Anyways, they replaced it, and I do love the product.

I just got off the phone with HO and they are replacing them for me. So if we aren't supposed to put them in the dishwasher, why not change the use and care card. I know I won't put my new pair in the dishwasher. I have gotten to the point where I am not putting many of my PC items in the dishwasher regardless of it being stated as "safe" in the use and care. It's an inconvenience when something you use so much is "out of commission!"

This is really disturbing to me after the thread about the pots and the not such a long lifetime warranty. I just looked on the PC site, and it says these are dishwasher safe.
Everyone loves the salad choppers--is it common that problems like this crop up?
Marghi

I don't know Margi, I am still in my 90 days, but I agree, all of the posts about these issues makes me worry.

No it's not common. People tend to create posts about problems or issues. If we made a post about everytime we loved a product then there'd be way too many posts.

I have absolutely every product in the catalog and many discontinued items. A few have had issues over the years but for the most part we love them all.

I put many of them in the DW but some that say they are DW safe still get hand washed just because I personally think it makes more sense for that item. The Salad Chopper is one of them. Often food gets stuck in the little openings at the tip for one thing. I also do the clear collar of the food chopper by hand to keep it from getting scratched looking. For me it's just as easy - I always have a pan or large bowl that I need to do by hand anyway so I just put the smaller things in that and it takes just a few extra seconds.

BlueMoon said:
This is really disturbing to me after the thread about the pots and the not such a long lifetime warranty. I just looked on the PC site, and it says these are dishwasher safe.
Everyone loves the salad choppers--is it common that problems like this crop up?
Marghi

leftymac said:
No it's not common. People tend to create posts about problems or issues. If we made a post about everytime we loved a product then there'd be way too many posts.

BethCooks4U said:
I have absolutely every product in the catalog and many discontinued items. A few have had issues over the years but for the most part we love them all.

I put many of them in the DW but some that say they are DW safe still get hand washed just because I personally think it makes more sense for that item.

Thanks, you guys. That's very reassuring. Keith, I know that you're right, of course what's rare is what is commented on, but it's easy to lose track of that and focus on the problems.
You both helped me regain my perspective. Thanks!

Marghi

I put my salad choppers in the dishwasher all the time with no problem!

The person I spoke with at HO said that this happens occassionally but it's not a common problem. It could be hard water or a number of other things. I just know when I get my replacements (YEAH!!!) I won't be putting those in the dishwasher, just as a precaution.

I personally LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my salad chopper! I have sold a lot of them just by my personal testimony (according to my guests) because I love them so much. They make a lot of things so much easier, like potato & chicken salad. I hope I haven't worried anyone unnecessarily. This is such a great product!

1. What causes rust on the salad chopper?

The most common cause of rust on the salad chopper is exposure to moisture. If the chopper is not properly dried after use or stored in a damp environment, it can lead to rust formation.

2. Can the rust affect the quality of my food?

No, the rust on the salad chopper is typically surface rust and does not pose a health risk. However, we recommend thoroughly cleaning and drying the chopper before use to prevent any potential contamination.

3. How can I prevent rust on my salad chopper?

To prevent rust, we recommend hand washing the chopper with warm soapy water and thoroughly drying it after each use. It is also important to store the chopper in a dry place.

4. Can the rust be removed from the salad chopper?

Yes, surface rust can be removed by scrubbing the affected area with a mixture of baking soda and water. If the rust is more severe, you may need to use a rust remover or replace the chopper.

5. Is rust covered under the warranty?

Rust is not covered under the Pampered Chef warranty as it is considered normal wear and tear. However, we stand by the quality of our products and if you are not satisfied, please contact our customer service team for assistance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• christy_c
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
danielsdundee
  • doughmama
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chef tso
  • cheflorraine