• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Tough Ribs: What Did I Do Wrong?

In summary, the recipe says to lay them cut side down in the DCB, but the author says maybe they were over cooked because the water only covered the bottom of the bakers.
Symara
Gold Member
I made this last night and they turned out really tough. Any suggestions on what I did wrong?

Of course I didn't know for sure if I got the membrane completely off to start. When the recipe says to lay them cut side down in the DCB what exactly does that mean?

Maybe we had the wrong type of ribs? I just know my husband tried to eat one then threw them in a pot of water to boil them until we went to bed to see if they would get tender.

bump for anyone that may have a suggestion

I'm not sure, maybe add water when you're cooking them so they don't get tough.. I'm really not sure!! Sorry!!

it calls for a 1/4 cup of water, my husband probably actually put in 1/3. I't still not enough to cover it. Has anyone made these yet?

I know there was alot of chatter about these when they first came out. did you do a search?

no, I thought it was new... I saw all the comments about beef, but didn't search for pork

Symara said:
no, I thought it was new... I saw all the comments about beef, but didn't search for pork

Go to the bottom of this thread page, and you will see several threads that talk about the ribs....

I make these quite often, and the only time they ever turned out tough was when they got a bit overcooked. The water shouldn't cover them... it should only cover most of the bottom of the baker.
My family LOVES the ribs in the DCB, so the only thing I can think is that maybe they were over cooked!?!?!

I made the ribs in the DCB last week and they were wonderful! Seemed like I had to cook them longer than recipe suggested but just kept checking temp. Maybe you have to be sure to get babybacks too?

What is the best way to cook tough ribs?

The best way to cook tough ribs is to use a combination of low and slow cooking methods. Start by seasoning the ribs with your desired rub or marinade, then bake them in the oven at a low temperature for several hours. You can also try using a slow cooker or pressure cooker to break down the tough meat.

Why are my ribs always tough?

There are a few reasons why your ribs may turn out tough. One common mistake is not cooking them long enough. Ribs need to cook for several hours at a low temperature in order to become tender. Another reason could be using the wrong type of ribs, as some cuts are naturally tougher than others. Finally, not properly removing the membrane from the ribs before cooking can also result in tough meat.

How do I know when my ribs are done?

The best way to tell if your ribs are done is by using a meat thermometer. The internal temperature should reach at least 145°F for pork ribs and 165°F for beef ribs. Additionally, the meat should easily pull away from the bone and have a slightly pink color. If you do not have a meat thermometer, you can also check for tenderness by poking the meat with a fork. If it easily falls apart, the ribs are done.

Can I make tough ribs tender in a shorter amount of time?

While it is possible to make tough ribs tender in a shorter amount of time, it is not recommended. Cooking ribs at a high temperature or for a shorter amount of time may lead to tough and chewy meat. For the best results, it is important to cook ribs low and slow to allow the connective tissues to break down and the meat to become tender.

What can I do to prevent tough ribs?

To prevent tough ribs, make sure you are using the proper cooking method and temperature. Also, be sure to remove the membrane from the ribs before cooking and use a marinade or rub to add flavor and help tenderize the meat. Properly resting the ribs after cooking can also help prevent them from becoming tough. Finally, investing in high-quality, well-marbled ribs can also make a difference in the tenderness of the meat.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• shelly.nurse
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • sfdavis918
  • General Chat
Replies