• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Revive Your Bamboo Carving Board with These Easy Tips | TIA

In summary, Tammy says that there are ways to fix knicks and cuts on a bamboo carving board, but that it's not meant to be used as a regular cutting board.
pamperedtraci
I had a customer ask me how to treat the bamboo once it's been cut. Is there a way to refurbish the carving board? A way to fix knicks and cuts? I wasn't sure!

TIA!

I've been wondering about this, too, and was just talking about it with a friend last night. Last fall I went to Nashville, IN, where the whole downtown is filled with quaint little shops, and in one of the shops they had several different sizes of bamboo cutting boards, and bottles of conditioning liquid, which is endorsed by Ming Tsai (remember him from Food Network?). I didn't look at it closely since I don't have the large board, but I wondered if it takes the knicks out that I've read mentioned on here. I'm considering getting the board in February, but am wondering about the care, as well. I had asked about it on here before, and most who responded really like it, but does anyone have any experience with a conditioner like I saw? Thanks!

Tammy

Check out the Product Information Guide on CC, it may tell you.

I had a customer who accidentally used a serrated bread knife on hers. I called HO and they said no sanding, etc to remove groove marks. The marks are there.

So no serrated knives at all on the bamboo boards?

Hmph..I had a show in the fall for someone and she had told me how much she adored the bamboo carving board and she pulled it out to show me "how much she uses it" and it was all scratched up, she uses it as a cutting board...I about had a heart attack! What a beautiful piece, ruined....

chefsteph07 said:
Hmph..I had a show in the fall for someone and she had told me how much she adored the bamboo carving board and she pulled it out to show me "how much she uses it" and it was all scratched up, she uses it as a cutting board...I about had a heart attack! What a beautiful piece, ruined....

Why wouldn't you use it as a cutting board??

It's a carving board, not a cutting board. It's not meant to be used every day with a lot of knife-to-board contact.

As often as I need to use ours, it is almost like a cutting board. I use it at least 5 days a week for dinners. Mine is pretty cut up too. I wish there was a way to make it appear more smooth but I still love it!

Oh ok - gotcha now

1. How do I clean my bamboo carving board?

To clean your bamboo carving board, first rinse it with warm water and dish soap. Use a scrub brush or sponge to gently scrub the surface and remove any food particles. Rinse thoroughly and dry with a clean towel. Avoid soaking the board in water or using harsh chemicals, as this can damage the bamboo.

2. Can I use bleach to disinfect my bamboo carving board?

No, bleach should not be used on bamboo as it can weaken and discolor the wood. Instead, you can use a mixture of equal parts white vinegar and water to disinfect your board. Simply spray the solution onto the board and wipe it clean with a damp cloth.

3. How often should I oil my bamboo carving board?

It is recommended to oil your bamboo carving board every 3-4 weeks to keep it moisturized and prevent it from drying out. Use a food-safe oil, such as mineral oil or bamboo oil, and apply it with a clean cloth in the direction of the grain. Wipe off any excess oil and let it sit for a few hours before using the board again.

4. Can I put my bamboo carving board in the dishwasher?

No, bamboo carving boards should not be placed in the dishwasher as the high heat and harsh detergents can damage the wood. It is best to hand wash your board with warm water and dish soap, and dry it immediately afterwards to prevent warping.

5. How do I remove tough stains or odors from my bamboo carving board?

If your bamboo carving board has tough stains or odors, you can sprinkle coarse salt or baking soda onto the surface and scrub it with a damp cloth. Rinse and dry as usual. For more stubborn stains, you can also use a mixture of lemon juice and salt or a baking soda paste to scrub the surface. Avoid using chemicals or abrasive cleaners on your bamboo board.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefheidi2003
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
quiverfull7
  • chefbilyeu
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefNic
  • pampered1224