• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Bamboo vs. Germs: Debunking the Myth of Unhygienic Cutting Boards

In summary, bamboo is a durable, earth-friendly grass that is faster growing than other plants. There is no need to replant it, and it naturally replenishes itself. It is perfect for dipping oils and juicy foods, and it doesn't absorb moisture, which makes it a good choice for cutting boards. Keep in mind that the Reversible Bamboo Carving Board is not meant to be a cutting board and should only be used for carving.
chefheidi2003
Gold Member
I had someone ask me yesterday about bamboo and germs.

I know that wood cutting boards are horrible when it comes to germs..but do you have the same problems with bamboo?

Bamboo is earth-friendly.

• It’s actually a grass.

• It’s the fastest growing plant on the planet.

• There’s no need for replanting — this sustainable and renewable resource naturally

replenishes itself by sending up new shoots from its root system.

Bamboo is durable.

• It resists staining, cracking and warping.

• It doesn’t conduct heat.

• It doesn’t absorb moisture, so it’s perfect for dipping oils and juicy foods.

• It’s harder and more durable than traditional hardwood.

• It won’t scratch cookware.

Bamboo is much more durable than other wooden cutting boards and such. Like any surface, you need to wash it, but it's safe to use as a cutting surface :)

Like Terry said bamboo is pressed and no absorbant, so it will not harbor any germs. Its a grass, not wood.

Thank you..I will let them know.

Here is a handout I use. After I read this, I threw away all of my wooden spoons! And when customers read it, they ALWAYS buy bamboo!!! I'm pretty sure it's a file from here that I tweaked. :)
Dottie
View attachment BamboovsWood.doc

Thanks Dot. I like that flyer.

Thanks Dottie! That just may be in my May Newsletter!

Related to Bamboo vs. Germs: Debunking the Myth of Unhygienic Cutting Boards

What is the myth about bamboo cutting boards being unhygienic?

The myth is that bamboo cutting boards harbor more bacteria and germs compared to other types of cutting boards.

Is there any truth to this myth?

No, this myth is not supported by scientific evidence. In fact, bamboo cutting boards have been found to have natural antimicrobial properties that make them a hygienic choice for food preparation.

Why is bamboo considered a hygienic material for cutting boards?

Bamboo has a dense and non-porous surface that makes it difficult for bacteria to penetrate and survive. It also contains a natural antimicrobial agent called bamboo kun, which helps to inhibit the growth of bacteria and other microorganisms.

Can bamboo cutting boards be cleaned easily?

Yes, bamboo cutting boards can be easily cleaned with hot soapy water and a brush. They can also be sanitized by wiping them with a mixture of white vinegar and water or with a food-safe disinfectant. It is recommended to avoid using harsh chemicals on bamboo cutting boards as it can damage the natural antimicrobial properties.

How do I maintain the hygiene of my bamboo cutting board?

To maintain the hygiene of your bamboo cutting board, make sure to clean it after each use and dry it thoroughly. It is also important to regularly oil your bamboo cutting board to prevent it from drying out and cracking, which can create crevices for bacteria to grow. Additionally, make sure to replace your bamboo cutting board when it becomes heavily scratched or damaged to ensure proper hygiene.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• scottcooks
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • pamperedtraci
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
redsoxgirl
  • pampered1224