• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Review: Cheesy Chicken Chilaquiles

In summary, the conversation is about a recipe for a dish called "29 Minutes Volume 2". The participants discuss the delicious taste of the dish and the difficulty in finding certain ingredients, such as chihuahua cheese. Some suggest substitutions for the cheese and others share tips for making the dish, including freezing the cheese before grating and using whole tortilla chips instead of crushed. There is also discussion about the cost of the dish and whether or not it reheats well. Overall, the dish is well-liked and considered a new staple by some participants.
janezapchef
Gold Member
I'm sure this won't be like a "typical" review. It may have even already been reviewed, I don't know. However, I really liked these so I thought I'd share.

First, the recipe is delicious! I have to say up front that I did make one, unintenional change though. I accidentally didn't layer the queso fresco in the middle like it says to do. So, read the following as a possibly cause for the one problem I had with the recipe. I'm not sure if it was the reason.

Ok, the taste was awesome in my opinion. It was fun working with cheeses I never work with (chihuahua and queso fresco -- found them both at Walmart). However, the chihuahua cheese is pretty soft, and it says to grate it. That much was a PITA and would be done ahead of time if I did this at a show.

My problem with the recipe was that the bottom layer was kind of dry. 12 cups of chips seemed like a ton to me. I might cut that in half as I thought it absorbed most of the liquid and made a strange consistency on the bottom. Of course, that could be because of the cheese problem mentioned above.

All in all, it was yummy and easy (except the shredding cheese part). I would make it at a show, but not until I figure out the chip amount.

I hope this helps. My first time starting a review.

Love this recipe! I did it at home and DH and the neighbor both gave it :thumbup::thumbup:. also did it at a show and everyone loved it.

Your problems could be from the layering mistake. I will say though that if you have any left-overs, it doesn't reheat very well - the tortillas get very pasty.

I served it with guacamole - yummy!

Yeah, the pasty texture was what I had on the bottom right from the get-go. It probably was the layering. Did you think the chip amount was good or too much?

I thought it was fine. Maybe you crunched them up too much?

Could be. I'll definitely be making it again at any rate -- loved the flavor!

Has anyone tried this will pork? I have some pork and want to make this tonight, without having to run to the store.

Any idea what the $ is for this dish? Is it another "Under $2 per serving"? I'm really loving it that PC is informing us which recipes are the best for our wallet!!!

And, afterthought, how are the leftovers?

To make grating easier, try placing the cheese in the freezer for 15 mins. and then grate it.

pamperedlinda said:
I thought it was fine. Maybe you crunched them up too much?

When I made it I didn't crunch the chips at all. I left them whole. I bought the Tostitos Whole Grain tortilla chips. I thought it was very good! I didn't measure the chips either. I just put them in until they covered the layer that needed covering.

Ok, I made this again tonight with pork. It's still good, but the chicken is better. I didn't crunch the chips up much this time though, and it was soooooo much better texture! Next time I'm doing what you suggested Chef Kearns and leaving them whole. We love this stuff -- definitely a new staple!

Okay so I am feeling pretty stupid right now. Where is this recipe? It sounds good.

It's in the new 29 Minutes volume 2 cookbook.

I don't have it is there anyone who can type it up or scan it or something, it sounds SOOOO YUMMY!!!!!

I got the ingredients for this tonight and was shocked at the price of the cheeses! It was almost $9 for both cheeses listed and that was at WalMart. Anyone else run into this?

This recipe sounds good, but what is the price per serving? Are there other cheeses that can be substituted? Maybe those would be a bit cheaper. I really do want to try it though to see what the different cheeses taste like. Maybe I will look at my walmart and check their prices. Thanks.
Deb

I really want to try this but I can't find the chihuahua cheese (or however it is spelled) anywhere I've even tried the walmart by me. Do you think I could subsitute cojita cheese instead?

pamperedchef07 said:
I really want to try this but I can't find the chihuahua cheese (or however it is spelled) anywhere I've even tried the walmart by me. Do you think I could subsitute cojita cheese instead?

It wasn't in the normal cheese section at Walmart. I found it over by the sour cream/cream cheese area.

zmom58 said:
This recipe sounds good, but what is the price per serving? Are there other cheeses that can be substituted? Maybe those would be a bit cheaper. I really do want to try it though to see what the different cheeses taste like. Maybe I will look at my walmart and check their prices. Thanks.
Deb

The rest of the ingredients aren't that expensive it was just the cheese.

pamperedchef07 said:

There are substitutes on the page with the recipe, as well as online.

I have made this probably 6 times since leadership & love it. To cut the cost of cheese you can use a colby jack cheese, & it's still really yummy!I have made this w/ leftover shredded pork (yum), also the hamburger mixture from power cooking w/ only southwestern seasoning added (yum).Also the first time I made it I baked my own corn chips and sprinkled Lime & southwestern seasoning on the tortillas as they baked (super yum).

pamperedalf said:
I have made this probably 6 times since leadership & love it. To cut the cost of cheese you can use a colby jack cheese, & it's still really yummy!

I have made this w/ leftover shredded pork (yum), also the hamburger mixture from power cooking w/ only southwestern seasoning added (yum).

Also the first time I made it I baked my own corn chips and sprinkled Lime & southwestern seasoning on the tortillas as they baked (super yum).

Yum! I figured in the future I would cut the cost on the cheese but wanted to try it just like the recipe states first.

Anyone tried this with regular salsa? I don't like any of our recipes that use salsa verde

flemings99 said:
Anyone tried this with regular salsa? I don't like any of our recipes that use salsa verde

I did try it with mild regular salsa... just didn't have the same flare as the salsa verde does.

My hubby had a cold and wasn't thrilled about trying out a new recipe - He had seconds. he prefers the green salsa verde version as well. FYI: a 16 oz jar of salsa verde is 1 3/4 cups - use the entire jar (but pour it into the 2 c ERMC to show product).

YES - the cheese is expensive; however, the Queso Fresco cheese that I found at WalMart comes in a 12 oz (I used 1/2 pkg crumbled) and I too could not find Chihuahia cheese so used M Jack instead. Cheese cost me $5.25 & $4.99 each. AND I have enough left over to make another batch.

I could not get to the store that I know carries Don Poncho thicker rest-style chips. So I sub'd Don Poncho pre made tostada shells broken into 1/4's. Used 20 shells... Perfect!!

So for this recipe =
$5.00 cheese
$4.00 chicken
$2.00 shells
$2.29 salsa verde
$1.00 chicken broth
$ .99 cilantro
$1.99 s cream (used 1/2)
Total: $16.28 / 8 servings = $2.03 per serving

I really enjoyed the flavor of this recipe - I will ceratinly be offering it on my Spring & Summer menu for my hosts....

I did find that the bottom shells were a bit mushy - but we crumbled the remaining tostada shells over the top and was satisfied...

~G

I soo want to try this recipe next! :)

1. What are the ingredients for the Cheesy Chicken Chilaquiles?

The ingredients for Cheesy Chicken Chilaquiles are tortilla chips, chicken breast, salsa, cheese, black beans, corn, and avocado.

2. How long does it take to make the Cheesy Chicken Chilaquiles?

The total time for preparing and cooking Cheesy Chicken Chilaquiles is about 45 minutes.

3. Can I substitute the chicken with another protein?

Yes, you can substitute the chicken with another protein such as ground beef, shredded pork, or tofu for a vegetarian option.

4. Is this recipe suitable for a large group?

Yes, this recipe can easily be doubled or tripled to serve a larger group. Just make sure to use a larger baking dish.

5. Can I make this recipe ahead of time?

Yes, you can make the Cheesy Chicken Chilaquiles ahead of time and store it in the fridge. When ready to serve, just reheat in the oven or microwave until heated through.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Loveh20mi
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • mountainmama74
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
mountainmama74
Replies