• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Reserving the Right to Refuse Service?

probably shouldn't have done. I would have submitted the orders as individual orders so I would still make commission, but since it wasn't enough to be a show, the "host" wouldn't receive anything.
wickednoodle
Has anyone ever had such a problem with someone that they politely told someone to find another PC consultant?

I've had a couple I've wished would find another consultant. Thankfully, I've not yet felt the need to actually suggest it to the person. I'm guessing you have a good reason. I know you have the right.

Kristy - what happened?

I had one that I figured would never call me again and I knew I would never call her again! Then she called to place a $170 order when the stoneware was on special. I haven't counted her out yet now!

I have a few that I wish I would "walk down the street" so to speak. Seems like they are just complainer types and don't realize theyare pains in the rear. I did give a show to another consultant in my cluster when I knew the hostess was a pain. The consultant ended up crying because the hostess was so mean to her!

What's going on, Kristy?

I had a "host" who asked me to drive over an hour to her house for a "vendor event". I worked like a dog to prepare for her show, then do my demo, then even bought stuff from the other vendors. She only had 15 people there with 5 vendors, so everyone's sales were horrible. I told her she just needed to get $60 more in sales to qualify as a show so she could get her host benefits, and she flipped out on me. Started calling me names, telling me what a horrible job I did at her show and it was all my fault because I was a terrible consultant, etc. Well, I told her I would not be submitting any of the orders that people had placed, I referred them to another consultant in the area, and I told her that I would not be doing business with someone who felt the need to insult me and disgrace me like she did. I've never heard from her again, but I heard from all of her guests and "friends", who told me they loved me and would order from me and host shows again in the future (and they have). She was crazy, and they all knew it. I don't need that kind of crazy in my life, though!! This is MY business!!

Yikes! I wouldn't want to work with that lady again either. How long ago was this vendor fair? I probably would have submitted the orders as individual orders so I would still make commission, but since it wasn't enough to be a show, the "host" wouldn't receive anything.

If the friends and other guests enjoyed working with you, I'd keep them as customers. You can't control if they invite this crazy lady to future shows, but I think you absolutely have the right to not do business with someone who can't even be civil and show common decency.

katie0128 said:
Yikes! I wouldn't want to work with that lady again either. How long ago was this vendor fair? I probably would have submitted the orders as individual orders so I would still make commission, but since it wasn't enough to be a show, the "host" wouldn't receive anything.

If the friends and other guests enjoyed working with you, I'd keep them as customers. You can't control if they invite this crazy lady to future shows, but I think you absolutely have the right to not do business with someone who can't even be civil and show common decency.

It was last October. I returned everyone's money and receipts and wrote each of them a nice letter that I was very sorry but I could not submit their order and referred them to another consultant. I had just started my FT job and had decided not to travel that far anymore, so this was the breaking point.

I did hear from several guests and they were all very sweet and apologetic, but I didn't want to "eat" the shipping costs for all of them - it would have been too much and I didn't want them thinking I was taking anything from them (commission) since they were put through the ordeal, too.

At the time, I just wanted nothing to do with anything from that show, but looking back, I should have just submitted the orders individually and eaten the shipping costs (I figured it out and it would have been more than my commission on the orders - yikes! Plus, the gas alone to get there, a total loss!!).

Anyway, I'm glad it didn't make me quit - I almost let it get me down, but I picked myself up and did my next show, which was a $1000 show, and I've been "Up" ever since! :)

That's one that you just Bless and Release and Move On!!!

Did you ever work with any of the customers again?

Yeah - I don't like the "bless & release" saying, b/c my director used it in the wrong way (she blesses and releases her good people ?!?!!), but yep, that's basically what I did. I actually have a new recruit from the "circle" where that show came from, and I'm helping with her Grand Opening on Sun. I haven't seen a lot of them since last summer and fall, so I'm looking forward to seeing them (and they can't wait to see me!). We may have another gal signing up at the show, too, so I may be growing my team even further (although I'll let her go to my recruit, since she mentioned the business to her). So, yes, there is always a silver lining, and always a reason to hold your head high and not let people take advantage of you or walk all over you!

Thankfully, I have never had to ask anyone to find another consultant. There was only ever one host that I would NOT go back to her house to do a show...her DS was all over my stuff, was a maniac and grabbing knives, etc. and she did NOTHING....I was a nervous mess. I knew that she was just "that way" and that any future shows would be just as nutso, so I would not do a show for her. Thankfully, she has never called me, and I "accidentally" have forgotten to call her!

I think we all have those people we just never call again. :)

katie0128 said:
Kristy - what happened?

In a nutshell, I have a host who has always been a complete pain-in-the-you-know-what. Before, during, and after her show she called me NO LESS than three times a day, for all sorts of different "problems". She would call just to tell me that she might change her mind about what she wanted for FPV, even though we hadn't even done her show yet! I explained that since I wasn't always available to her as much as she needed, I would touch base with her every couple of days to check in on her (over the span of a couple of weeks, which I realize is much more than the normal host contact). This didn't work - she still called me CONSTANTLY (even after 10pm, even after I asked her not to call past 8pm because this is the only family time I have each day with DH and daughters, then I'm in bed by 9:30 or so). She complained CONSTANTLY about the terrible PC host benefits, that I don't give out good enough gifts at my shows, etc. etc. etc. She would call other hosts who booked off of her to get them to change their closing dates because she needed to wait until payday or she couldn't afford what she really wanted for her two 60% off items - this happened on TWO shows. She's complained about EVERYTHING she's gotten, whether it was free or not, and asks to return/exchange it...then decides "it's not so bad after all". To top it all off...here's a copy of an email from yesterday. She'd asked about the Ice Cream Dipper and why it turned dark when a "friend" of hers (which I STRONGLY suspect is actually her and not a friend) washed it. I explained that it's not dishwasher safe but that she could try calling HO to see if they'd exchange it. Normally, I would have offered to call the HO myself, but I've been through this so many times with her that I just wanted tell her to go jump in a lake, preferably with large weights around her ankles!! Here's her emailed responsed to my VERY NICE email to her...

She didn't put it in the dishwasher she washed it by hands after she finished using it and why does she need to call that number when she got it from my party and you're my consultant. Isn't it your job to help my friends or constumers. My friend's friend called her friend who sell pamperedchef and she lives on base. I asked her for me about my friend's problem. She said I can call my consultant because I did the party through you. Could you please let them know for her. I mean Im sure she doesn't mind calling from her own house but I don't want her to think that I don't care about her product's problem. And I don't want her stop buying things from me next time just because I didn't help her.

I was having a really hard day yesterday (we thought DH might be losing his job - it was very stressful) when I got her email. The thing is, I've received so many nice compliments from people since I started PC last Nov about how nice I am, what good service I give, that I'm personable, etc. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I do work hard to make sure I build a strong foundation to this business - which I totally LOVE!! I'm new enough that I don't feel I can really afford to tell someone to look for business elsewhere, but at the same time, my time is so precious with two very young daughters and too few hours in the day.

I seriously doubt I'll tell her to go somewhere else; I guess I just realized as I type this that I really just needed to vent about her to help me feel better about it. She's brought me a lot of business that I wouldn't have had otherwise...and I'm almost through all of the shows booked off of her, so I guess now would be a silly time to cut the ties now that I've invested all this time. It would feel really good, though! ;-)

Whew...thanks for listening!!

do you have caller ID? If so, let all of her calls go to your answering machine.
If you don't, you may want to consider just screening your calls anyway!Then you can write out a list of answers to the actual questions she has and filter through all of the negative comments and respond to her on your time. As for the calls after 8pm~you are going to need to use very strong wording for this...she has to respect your time with your family.
It sounds to me like she is lonely and you are a kind person that she has latched onto....have you talked to her about joining your team? She could really surprise you with her answer and if she joined, then at least you could make a profit on her bugging you!

chefmeg said:
do you have caller ID? If so, let all of her calls go to your answering machine.
If you don't, you may want to consider just screening your calls anyway!Then you can write out a list of answers to the actual questions she has and filter through all of the negative comments and respond to her on your time. As for the calls after 8pm~you are going to need to use very strong wording for this...she has to respect your time with your family.
It sounds to me like she is lonely and you are a kind person that she has latched onto....have you talked to her about joining your team? She could really surprise you with her answer and if she joined, then at least you could make a profit on her bugging you!

I do screen her calls, and I did use strong wording. She's not lonely; she has many, many friends (she's in the military and they all do daycare together)...she's very young and she's actually not from the US, so I suspect part of this might be a difference in culture.

I actually did talk to her about signing, and she said she had "no interest in working with such a terrible company".

But if she changes her mind and wants to sign with PC, you have my word that I'll happily refer her to you!

Sometimes you just have to let them go.....especially the ones who are never happy. For them it is often about needing an outlet for their general unhappiness.

As for the dipper, tell her the use and care card specifically says
Wash by hand in warm, soapy water. Rinse and dry immediately after use. Do not expose to temperatures above 140ºF
and that, the company prefers consultants allow the HO Solution Center to deal directly with the customer over potentially voided warranty issues*. (Up until recently, the receipts use to say that consultants didn't handle product returns...or something to that effect. [Beth/Ann, please correct me if I'm wrong on this.])
She can email versus call the solution center from the PC home page.
Then step away.

I've 'stepped away' three times for the following reasons (and have no regrets):
- 2 were always dissatisfied with something in their order (multiple occasions)....took me awhile to realize that it really wasn't about the products.
- 1 was a former consultant who thought I should give her an extra $70 item free because she 'gave me' a $1000 show. (I had 22 $1000 shows that year; I'd like to think I may have had something to do with the success of her show!)

Hope this helps.
leggy

* I generally do help my customers with returns...usually I'll submit the adjustment and provide them the # so they can send the product back.

Oh Kristy, as leggy said, this is about so much more than products. This woman found someone she can complain to and you bet she's going to keep doing it. I'm so sorry you've had to endure her thus far. Leggy gave very good advice in dealing with her. I do also handle the calls to the HO for my customers to facilitate their returns, but you were right in telling this one to call herself. If she wants to keep complaining, she can deal with it! LOLGood luck!

cathyskitchen said:
I had a "host" who asked me to drive over an hour to her house for a "vendor event". I worked like a dog to prepare for her show, then do my demo, then even bought stuff from the other vendors. She only had 15 people there with 5 vendors, so everyone's sales were horrible. I told her she just needed to get $60 more in sales to qualify as a show so she could get her host benefits, and she flipped out on me. Started calling me names, telling me what a horrible job I did at her show and it was all my fault because I was a terrible consultant, etc. Well, I told her I would not be submitting any of the orders that people had placed, I referred them to another consultant in the area, and I told her that I would not be doing business with someone who felt the need to insult me and disgrace me like she did. I've never heard from her again, but I heard from all of her guests and "friends", who told me they loved me and would order from me and host shows again in the future (and they have). She was crazy, and they all knew it. I don't need that kind of crazy in my life, though!! This is MY business!!

Been there, done that- which is sadly another reason why I don't do cooking shows any more. Too many idiots in my village. (Hmmm, what does that say about me?) KG don't answer that.:rolleyes:

If she thinks PC is such a terrible companythen why does she keep haveing shows?

On the issue of her wanting you to call PC, I would have told her that in order for you to call PC, you need to talk with the customer yourself. That way you have all the proper information, how she wants to handle the return, etc before you call PC yourself. I normally recommend people calling PC themselves (except my hosts) because instead of playing phone tag back and forth, they can handle the situation by themsevles.

wadesgirl said:
On the issue of her wanting you to call PC, I would have told her that in order for you to call PC, you need to talk with the customer yourself. That way you have all the proper information, how she wants to handle the return, etc before you call PC yourself. I normally recommend people calling PC themselves (except my hosts) because instead of playing phone tag back and forth, they can handle the situation by themsevles.

That was exactly my reasoning when I emailed her back. I explained that it doesn't make sense for me to call after hearing about the problem from a third party. I did suggest she have the customer contact me directly so that I can help her properly, and I haven't heard from her (which is highly unusual, so she must be upset...ce la vie) <-------sp??

The fact that I haven't heard back after suggesting that only supports my theory that she, in fact, is the one who is having the problem, and not a "friend".

I have a show tomorrow that was booked from hers. Oh, Lordy, help me if she attends!!

Hope you have a good show tomorrow. Maybe you need to play that game where someone is the negative police, if she is there. Even give her that job. I don't ever do that, but it might help in her case. Or play some type of game that will give her something to do. At a couple of shows I have given out Hershey's Kisses when people say they really like something or that they have to have something (Have it, Love it, Gotta Have it game or something like that) or just find the page in the catalog of an item we're talking about. That could keep her busy, too, and you're giving out plenty of free things.

I had a lady who sat there and basically heckled me and bashed all the PC products at my mom's show once. I could'nt wait for the show to be over. At the end of the show her daughter ended up booking and guess where the show was held? That's right~ Her mom's house!! When I got there to set up the mom was relentless and nagged and complained about everything. At one point she even said, "You're going to take those crates out to your car during the demo right? I've been cleaning all day and don't want everyone looking at those ugly things."

So anyway, I was relieved that no one booked off of the show and have only had to see her as a guest at another show I did. (which, btw, she continued to bash PC). These type of people are like that everywhere they go. My mom said she is just that way. Glad to be rid of her.

wickednoodle said:
I do screen her calls, and I did use strong wording. She's not lonely; she has many, many friends (she's in the military and they all do daycare together)...she's very young and she's actually not from the US, so I suspect part of this might be a difference in culture.

I actually did talk to her about signing, and she said she had "no interest in working with such a terrible company".

But if she changes her mind and wants to sign with PC, you have my word that I'll happily refer her to you!

She has no interest in working w/ such a terrible company? Why does she keep placing orders and having parties???

chefsteph07 said:
She has no interest in working w/ such a terrible company? Why does she keep placing orders and having parties???

So she has something to keep complaining about!

wickednoodle said:
That was exactly my reasoning when I emailed her back. I explained that it doesn't make sense for me to call after hearing about the problem from a third party. I did suggest she have the customer contact me directly so that I can help her properly, and I haven't heard from her (which is highly unusual, so she must be upset...ce la vie) <-------sp??

The fact that I haven't heard back after suggesting that only supports my theory that she, in fact, is the one who is having the problem, and not a "friend".

I have a show tomorrow that was booked from hers. Oh, Lordy, help me if she attends!!
c'est la vie? I think! It's been a long time since I took french. Wait, someone on here was a french teacher, where is he (I remember a guy, just not the name).

How did the show go? Was she there?

You can always look at her show and see who all ordered that particular item.

wadesgirl said:
c'est la vie? I think! It's been a long time since I took french. Wait, someone on here was a french teacher, where is he (I remember a guy, just not the name).

How did the show go? Was she there?

You can always look at her show and see who all ordered that particular item.

I think you're right about the c'est la vie! I never took French, but it looks like a familiar-ish word.

She did NOT go - hallelujah! I was super relieved. I'd actually called her before the show to ask her which host special she wanted (but really just to ease the tension of having to wonder whether she'd be there). She was her usual ungrateful self - lol!!

I did look at her show to see who ordered it, and there was one other person besides herself. So...I guess there's no way to be sure if it's really her or not. I did mention on the phone yesterday that I hadn't yet heard from her "friend", and she said "really? I'm surprised she hasn't called you yet"...I was thinking, "yeah, RIGHT!!"

Related to Reserving the Right to Refuse Service?

1. Can a business legally refuse service to anyone?

Yes, businesses have the right to refuse service to anyone as long as it does not violate any anti-discrimination laws. This means they cannot refuse service based on race, religion, national origin, gender, or disability.

2. Can a business refuse service for any reason?

Technically, yes. However, it is important for businesses to have a valid reason for refusing service and to avoid any potential legal issues. It is best to have a clear policy in place for refusing service and to consistently apply it to all customers.

3. Can a business refuse service to someone who is causing a disturbance?

Yes, businesses have the right to refuse service to someone who is causing a disturbance or disrupting the experience for other customers. This includes individuals who are being loud, aggressive, or violating any store policies.

4. Can a business refuse service to someone based on their appearance or clothing?

Generally, businesses can refuse service based on appearance or clothing as long as it does not violate any anti-discrimination laws. However, it is important for businesses to have a clear dress code policy in place and to consistently apply it to all customers.

5. Can a business refuse service to someone who is not a paying customer?

Yes, businesses have the right to refuse service to anyone who is not a paying customer. This includes individuals who are loitering, asking for free samples without the intention of purchasing, or using the facilities without making a purchase.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• AlowayFamily
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • byrd1956
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • pamperedberry