• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Researching Shipping Tax Laws in Mass: Is it Legal?

In summary, the conversation was about whether it is legal to tax shipping in Massachusetts. The group had conflicting information from different consultants, and they were trying to find a way to check the legality of taxing shipping. They discussed resources such as the CC Tax Rate Guide and the IRS website. Ultimately, they found an article that confirmed there is no sales tax on shipping in Massachusetts, but some companies may still charge tax on handling instead.
melaniepc
does anyone know where I can find an article on if its legal to tax shipping in mass? I know alot of consultants for different companies and none of them tax shipping here, it must be a law right? well there is one consultant for a company that is sort new and she INSISTS they tax shipping and we are all wrong. is there a way to check that?

This is on CC under Tax Rate Guide on the main screen (along the right hand side)

NOTE: Remember that there is no sales tax for the following states: Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon, and, as such, will not be in the drop-down menu. Shipping and handling charges are taxable in all states except AK, DE, DC, IA, ID, IL, MA, MT, NH, OH, OK, OR, UT and WY.

yes but is there a general rule or is every direct sales company different on the tax thing?

Check out the IRS website irs.gov and search for direct sales company or ds tax, etc. and you may find something.

Maybe someone else knows for sure, but I thought it was the STATE that determined that.

Sales tax is determined by the state. Your state's website should have more information, although it may be a bear to find.

thanks everyone, I kinda found something on mass website but the way they word it is so confusing. I just wanted to find something to show her. Although, I guess its not really my issue.. I just feel bad that she isnt doing it correctly for her customers. She said when she enters her orders on her screen it always comes out correct with the amount she charged .. so I dont know whats up. I will keep looking. thanks everyone

I did a Google search. This article isn't an exact answer to your specific question, but it addresses the same issue.

http://www1.whdh.com/features/articles/hank/BO50419/

A quote from the article:

Commissioner Alan LeBovidge, Massachusetts Department of Revenue
"The bottom line rule is there's no sales tax on separately stated shipping charges in Massachusetts."

alright, that article is helpful. All the other ones I found use too many technical terms. Thank you

There is no tax on shipping in Mass. However, some companies get away with it by charging tax on the handling instead.

Related to Researching Shipping Tax Laws in Mass: Is it Legal?

1. Can I ship items without paying taxes in Massachusetts?

No, it is not legal to ship items without paying taxes in Massachusetts. The state requires all items shipped into the state to be taxed, regardless of where the items were purchased.

2. How do I determine the tax rate for shipping in Massachusetts?

The tax rate for shipping in Massachusetts is based on the destination of the package. You can use the Massachusetts Department of Revenue website to find the specific tax rate for your shipping location.

3. Are there any exemptions to shipping taxes in Massachusetts?

Yes, there are some exemptions to shipping taxes in Massachusetts. These include items shipped for resale, items shipped to a tax-exempt organization, and items shipped out of state within 10 days of purchase.

4. What are the consequences of not paying shipping taxes in Massachusetts?

If you do not pay shipping taxes in Massachusetts, you may be subject to penalties and fines. Additionally, the state may audit your business and require you to pay back taxes with interest.

5. Do I need to collect and remit shipping taxes if I am an out-of-state seller shipping to Massachusetts?

Yes, if you are an out-of-state seller shipping items into Massachusetts, you are still required to collect and remit shipping taxes. You may also need to register for a sales tax permit with the state.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kelly8
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
raebates
  • kam
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
NooraK
  • toniascookin