• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Red Potato Boiling Tips: Keep 'em Red & Pretty!

In summary, the conversation is about the best way to keep red potatoes looking red when boiled with the skin on. Some suggest roasting or steaming them, as they tend to keep their color better. Others mention using seasonings, such as parmesan garlic, on roasted red potatoes to enhance their flavor. It is also mentioned that roasted red potatoes make a great addition to potato salad.
byrd1956
Gold Member
Does anyone know how to keep red potatoes looking red when you boil them w/the skin on. They always look so much 'prettier' that way. Any tips out there??

byrd1956 said:
Does anyone know how to keep red potatoes looking red when you boil them w/the skin on. They always look so much 'prettier' that way. Any tips out there??

Roast them, don't boil them. That's the only way I know to keep them looking red.

Can roasted potatoes be used in potato salad? Boston Market has steamed red potatoes and they look pretty red.

byrd1956 said:
Can roasted potatoes be used in potato salad? Boston Market has steamed red potatoes and they look pretty red.

Oh - yes, you can steam them too. Do you have the PC steamer?

But yes, you can make potato salad with roasted/baked potatoes. Cut them into salad size pieces, toss with a little olive and S&P and roast them on your bar stone. Let them cool, and then proceed as usual for your salad!

mmm.... roasted have a deeper, earthier flavor, so they make goooood potato salad. Especially with some bacon thrown in. (Bacon makes everything taste better, though.)

thank you!

Has anyone made red potatoes with the parmesan garlic dipping seasoning yet? I got some red potatoes on sale at the grocery store last night and was thinking of trying it... Is there a PC or similar recipe out there already?I skimmed about 4 pages of threads with no luck yet...

janetupnorth said:
Has anyone made red potatoes with the parmesan garlic dipping seasoning yet? I got some red potatoes on sale at the grocery store last night and was thinking of trying it... Is there a PC or similar recipe out there already?

I skimmed about 4 pages of threads with no luck yet...

I've tended to buy red potatoes the last few times I've gotten them, and they work well with the seasonings. I cut them into 1/2 to 3/4" cubes, toss them with a little oil (the garlic oil is faboo) and some of the parm garlic seasoning. Spread in a single layer on a Bar Pan or Sheet Pan, and roast in a 400˚ oven for about 30 minutes. We actually just had some last night with some steaks.

chefann said:
I've tended to buy red potatoes the last few times I've gotten them, and they work well with the seasonings. I cut them into 1/2 to 3/4" cubes, toss them with a little oil (the garlic oil is faboo) and some of the parm garlic seasoning. Spread in a single layer on a Bar Pan or Sheet Pan, and roast in a 400˚ oven for about 30 minutes. We actually just had some last night with some steaks.

Sounds wonderful Ann - thanks!

What are the best types of potatoes to use for boiling?

The best types of potatoes to use for boiling are waxy potatoes, such as red potatoes, Yukon gold potatoes, or new potatoes. These potatoes hold their shape well and have a creamy texture when boiled.

How do I keep my potatoes from turning brown when boiling?

To keep your potatoes from turning brown when boiling, make sure to rinse them thoroughly in cold water before boiling. Also, adding a splash of lemon juice or vinegar to the boiling water can help prevent browning.

How long should I boil red potatoes?

The cooking time for red potatoes will vary depending on their size. Generally, it takes 15-20 minutes to boil small red potatoes and 20-25 minutes to boil larger red potatoes. To check if they are done, pierce the potatoes with a fork. They should be tender but still hold their shape.

Should I peel red potatoes before boiling?

There is no need to peel red potatoes before boiling. The skin adds texture and nutrients to the dish. Just make sure to scrub them thoroughly before cooking.

Can I add salt to the water when boiling red potatoes?

Yes, adding salt to the water can enhance the flavor of the potatoes. However, it's best to add salt towards the end of the cooking process to prevent the potatoes from becoming too salty or tough.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
EfficientPCKitchen
  • kewaters
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • PamperedDor
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies