• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Recipe Question for Chefbecky???

In summary, Martha organizes her recipes by using a computer and an index. She also prints off recipes and keeps them in a binder.
rennea
Gold Member
Since you collect recipes I was wondering how you organize all of them? I have tons of recipes on little pieces of paper all over the place. :eek:

Well, since the invention of the computer :p .......LOL..... No, seriously, I used to have them all over too. But I did finally get a huge recipe file (Like a foot deep) and made up an index, and filed them all. I used to pretend that I was going to get them all written up on index cards - but I've given up on that fantasy, and now I just file them in whatever form I have them in.

I also have "recipe boxes" online with Allrecipes.com, Recipezaar, Epicurius, Taste of Home online, oh - and a great thing that I did was to stop saving all of my TOH cookbooks - I pass them off to other people, and at the end of each year, order the cookbook which has all of the recipes from the year in it.

My system is by no means perfect - but when I get a chance I'll be back to let you know what my categories are - the ones you find already printed for recipe files just were never specific enough for me!

My mom has a recipe program she actually enters them all in.I have a small recipe box but save most to my computer or know where to find them online.Otherwise, I have post-in notes flagging my cookbooks or just remember where to look. I like to sit down on occasion and browse the TOH books. :)I often cook with my laptop on the kitchen table and a recipe up...only problem is wiping my hands to move my finger on the touch pad to keep the screensaver from going on!!!! I have this aversion to food or drink near my laptop!!!!

janetupnorth said:
My mom has a recipe program she actually enters them all in.

I have a small recipe box but save most to my computer or know where to find them online.

Otherwise, I have post-in notes flagging my cookbooks or just remember where to look. I like to sit down on occasion and browse the TOH books. :)

I often cook with my laptop on the kitchen table and a recipe up...only problem is wiping my hands to move my finger on the touch pad to keep the screensaver from going on!!!! I have this aversion to food or drink near my laptop!!!!

LOL - that sounds just like me!

ChefBeckyD said:
LOL - that sounds just like me!
My goodness...why does that just not surprise me anymore?! :rolleyes: :p

janetupnorth said:
My goodness...why does that just not surprise me anymore?! :rolleyes: :p

I should have just said "What Janet said....":p

Maybe we should write Martha and ask her what she does!! I bet she uses her computer. I really lazy and can't bear the thought of writing them all out on index cards. Would be nice though :)

rennea said:
Maybe we should write Martha and ask her what she does!! I bet she uses her computer. I really lazy and can't bear the thought of writing them all out on index cards. Would be nice though :)

Martha has a secretary and assistant and a bunch of other peeps...

janetupnorth said:
Martha has a secretary and assistant and a bunch of other peeps...

Maybe I should higher somebody to do all that kind of fun stuff:p

I'll do that soon after I win the lotto;)

She probably hand-calligraphs them, and then laminates them using an ancient and almost-lost laminating technique that she rediscovered in an obscure library in the middle of Europe.:D

chefann said:
She probably hand-calligraphs them, and then laminates them using an ancient and almost-lost laminating technique that she rediscovered in an obscure library in the middle of Europe.

:D

HA!! You know Ann I used to laminate all my recipe cards:blushing: I still laminate all the recipe cards that come with all our products.

I also laminate take-out menus:blushing: :blushing:

chefann said:
She probably hand-calligraphs them, and then laminates them using an ancient and almost-lost laminating technique that she rediscovered in an obscure library in the middle of Europe.

:D

LOL! I have a friend who always used to joke about her (MS) obscure ingredients for recipes - such as making a simple kumquat preserve...."and of course, we can find those kumquats at any fine kumquat store".....:D

rennea said:
Maybe I should higher somebody to do all that kind of fun stuff:p

I'll do that soon after I win the lotto;)
I'd rather hire someone to clean my bathrooms. Then I can play with my recipes. :)

JAE said:
I'd rather hire someone to clean my bathrooms. Then I can play with my recipes. :)
That is brilliant!

I'm a paper person. I have a 2" binder that I keep empty sheet protectors in and print off recipes that I want to try or that I create or that I LOVE. I like it because I can just wipe the recipe off when I spill something on it and I know right where they all are. Now...they are not organized within the binder. I've got pie crust recipes next to Corned Beef and Cabbage, but a little bit of flipping is acceptable to me.

rennea said:

You could pay me to do it for you! I just bought 100 4x6 index cards today to start writing down some of the recipes I've made up and to clean out my 2 recipe boxes... I've been looking online for a new recipe box that can hold 3x5AND 4x6 recipe cards... I too have some of the TOH cookbooks, but also have quite a few of the magazines left. I just cut the recipes out, and tape them to a recipe card on the top only so I can flip it to read the back- I use double stick tape, or a glue stick...it works well.

I'd like to hear the titles of people's recipe index cards because I think the prebought ones are either too vague, or have too many dividers, and if a recipe falls under more than one category, it never fails I'll put it under the one I will never look under and then write the recipe down on a card and then have two copies that I'll never be able to find! :) LOL

I have a REALLY thick ninder. And in it I use protective plastic sleeves for each page. I print the recipe and slip it into the sleeve. Then I have dividers breaking the notebook down into "Poultry/Beef/Veal/Stews/Breads/Desserts,Appetizers"
If a particular recipe that I like a whole lot fits under mroe than one category, sometimes I'll print it twice and put it in both.

Related to Recipe Question for Chefbecky???

1. How do I adjust the serving size for this recipe?

To adjust the serving size for a recipe, simply multiply or divide the ingredients accordingly. For example, if a recipe serves 4 and you need it to serve 8, double all the ingredients. If you need it to serve 2, halve all the ingredients. Keep in mind that cooking times may also need to be adjusted.

2. Can I substitute an ingredient in this recipe?

Yes, you can substitute ingredients in a recipe as long as they have similar properties. For example, you can substitute honey for sugar, or chicken broth for vegetable broth. Just keep in mind that the flavor and texture of the dish may be slightly different.

3. How do I make this recipe gluten-free?

To make a recipe gluten-free, you can substitute ingredients like flour, pasta, and breadcrumbs with gluten-free alternatives. You can also check for gluten-free versions of pre-made sauces or condiments that may be called for in the recipe. Be sure to read labels carefully and do your research to ensure all ingredients are gluten-free.

4. Can I make this recipe in advance?

Many recipes can be made in advance, but it's important to consider the ingredients and cooking method. Certain dishes, like salads, may not keep well if made too far in advance. For dishes that can be made ahead of time, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator and reheat or assemble before serving.

5. How do I know when this dish is done cooking?

The best way to determine if a dish is done cooking is to use a cooking thermometer to check the internal temperature. You can also use visual cues, such as golden brown and crispy for baked goods or tender and fork-tender for meat. It's also important to follow the cooking time and temperature listed in the recipe as a guideline.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• CarrieSusann
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
ChefPeg
  • vanscootin
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
CAPCnewbie
Replies