• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Urgent Ready to Take a Hammer to My Mandolin!!

In summary, the food holder/slider thingy is on upside down (hooks down) which I swear is how it came... I think... maybe? And I can NOT get it off. I have yanked, tugged, and pulled every which way, but the darn thing is even more stubborn than I am, and that's saying something!:mad:Oh, and the "urgent" would be do to the fact that tomorrow I have my first "real" show (I've done the 12 minute cake a few times for teensy groups) and I'm supposed to do the 3 cheese pizza. Grrrrr!
Laurena
The darn thing is driving me CRAZY!!

The food holder/slider thingy is on upside down (hooks down) which I swear is how it came... I think... maybe? And I can NOT get it off. I have yanked, tugged, and pulled every which way, but the darn thing is even more stubborn than I am, and that's saying something!:mad:

Oh, and the "urgent" would be do to the fact that tomorrow I have my first "real" show (I've done the 12 minute cake a few times for teensy groups) and I'm supposed to do the 3 cheese pizza. Grrrrr!

um yeah...you will have to rip it off. When you put the hand guard on upside down then it gets locked on. Sorry :mad:

You can bend the mandoline to tweak to get the guard off. You'll prob break the little tab on the mandoline (near the bottom) but you can super glue it back on.

Woke up the husband (by throwing marshmallows at him, I must admit) and he managed to force it into submission. Surprisingly, I think he even managed not to break it! Phwew. Thanks!

I can't sleep...I guess your hubby can't either...your marshmallow comment cracked me up! Glad you got it sorted. Yikes. I will watch out for that, putting it in backwards, because my son empties the dishwasher and I'm sure I'll see it someday.

hmm, never thought of that - but I hate that thing, used it one time and since than its in my cabinet, probably dust from the last 3 years on it.
Maybe I should get it out and actually figure out why I hate it!

ChefJessica95765 said:
hmm, never thought of that - but I hate that thing, used it one time and since than its in my cabinet, probably dust from the last 3 years on it.
Maybe I should get it out and actually figure out why I hate it!

You should. It sells when you show it. I'd fall in love with it since it's a $60 item. Use it every day for 1 week straight and you will establish a loving relationship. :D

I have the same problem - the guard is on upside down. I've always known that I could probably break it to get it off...but I just REFUSED to admit that I put it on upside down...I think it came that way, too!!!

My aunt kept telling me how she hated hers and wanted me to come over and show her how to use it..her guide was on upside down..she told me that she didn't do it..that that is how it came..and it took a lot but I finally got it off.

Ok, I got that thing in front of me - the guide is that sliding thing?? (sorry I'm German) with those little hooks, right? so where do the hooks go? To the top (where the handle is) or to the bottom?

ChefJessica95765 said:
Ok, I got that thing in front of me - the guide is that sliding thing?? (sorry I'm German) with those little hooks, right? so where do the hooks go? To the top (where the handle is) or to the bottom?

The top where the handle is..

Ah I see - mine didn't wanna hook in there, tried a little harder now its hooked, but only on one side, the other side seems to be bigger?
Ok, I'll give that thing another change, and will try using it!

I'm glad to hear other people do not like their mandolin. It wasn't that I didn't like mine, something about it just made me nervous. But I have made myself use it, and try to get comfortable with it, although I have yet to sell one!

ChefJessica95765 said:

The hooks on the front go on first. Think of it like a sleigh (looks like one too w/ the hooks in front)....and that will help you to remember that that part goes on first. :chef:

Wow, coming back to this thread and seeing all of the advice and commiseration really made me feel the support of this community! Thanks all! I am in total agreement with you, sherri lynn. It makes me nervous! But, I also agree with you, Liquid Sky, that I need (and WANT!) to learn to love it. Hopefully that will happen in the next 4 hours before my 3 cheese pizza show... ;)

Make sure if you are not happy with your mandoline or any other product, to send an e-mail letter home office know. I do not like mine either. I'd prefer that that come back out with the old one. It was so much better.

I love my mandolin, although it took some practice. I did the three cheese garden pizza last night and sold 4 mandolins! I don't always use it with the Tomatos in the recipe. If they are too ripe it doesn't always cut them well, and it looks bad to have to fish the mushy pieces out that get stuck in the blade. The onions and Zucchini are always a crowd pleaser.

1. Why is my mandolin blade dull?

The blade on your mandolin may become dull over time with regular use. This is normal and can be easily remedied by sharpening the blade with a sharpening stone or taking it to a professional for sharpening.

2. How do I adjust the thickness of the slices on my mandolin?

Most mandolins come with an adjustable knob or lever that allows you to change the thickness of the slices. Refer to your mandolin's instruction manual for specific instructions on how to adjust the thickness.

3. Can I use my mandolin to slice soft fruits and vegetables?

Yes, most mandolins can be used to slice a variety of fruits and vegetables, including soft ones. However, it is important to use caution when slicing soft produce as the blade can easily cut through them. It is recommended to use a hand guard or wear cut-resistant gloves for added safety.

4. How do I clean my mandolin?

To clean your mandolin, disassemble it by removing the blade and any other removable parts. Wash the parts with warm soapy water and a non-abrasive sponge. Rinse and dry thoroughly before reassembling. Avoid soaking the blade in water as it can cause rusting.

5. Can I use my mandolin to slice meat?

No, mandolins are designed for slicing fruits and vegetables and are not recommended for slicing meat. The blade is not sharp enough to cut through raw meat and may cause damage to the mandolin. It is best to use a separate knife for slicing meat.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Mommy2amo
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • DebPC
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • cincychef