• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Quick, Easy & Inexpensive German Food for Extension Homemakers Night

In summary, the author is attending an event on Tuesday and is looking for suggestions for something quick, easy, and inexpensive to bring along. They mention the Extension Homemakers International Night and mention that they are familiar with the organization as a source of great support and volunteers. They also mention a family Bavarian recipe.
raebates
Staff member
I'm attending an event on Tuesday to which I need to take German food of some kind. Anyone have suggestions for something quick, easy, and inexpensive? I'd prefer something that didn't have to remain hot. Cold wouldn't be a problem.

TIA!

Not that anyone asked, but I'm attending an Extension Homemakers International Night. I'll be joining the organization soon. As a 10-year 4-H member I was familiar with the Extension Homemakers as a source of great support and volunteers. I knew that they did some charity work. That was all I knew. At a recent networking event we talked about organizations that would interest us on a person level that we could also envision as a possible network source. When the leader pointed to me I said, "I'm sitting here wondering why I'm not a part of the Extension Homemakers. They are women interested in the preserving the home arts. These women are a wonderful place for me to meet others--some might become customers, all are sources for information that could make me more valuable to my current customers. If there's a group that speaks to your heart, joining might be a way to build connections and, by extension, your business.

Thanks. I'll check those out.

I've only eaten spaetzle hot. There is an awesome plum tart that would be terrific in our torte pans. The German Potato salad is a great idea.

Being German and DH from Germany.... I have endless recipes I could give you.Do you have something more specific as to a "side", "main course", or "dessert" as far as you are looking for?I have a couple of family Bavarian recipes that I would be willing to share.[edit] I went back and did a re-read of your post. I have a family Sauerkraut recipe that I think would be interesting to do in the DCB (even I haven't done it yet!). It is usually served either warm or "room temp" not cold - even though many Germans love cold kraut from the jar [/edit]

Ashley, since I can't stand the smell of Sauerkraut, I think I'll pass. :)

I'd love a dessert--something quick and easy that would be a bit different. Got any suggestions?

Chocolate dipped spritz cookies

Ingredients:
•1 cup powdered sugar
•1 cup butter, softened
•1 egg
•1 tsp. vanilla OR almond extract
•2-1/4 cups flour
•1/4 tsp. salt
•8 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
•1 Tbsp. shortening
•chopped almonds or coconut
Preparation:
In large bowl, combine powdered sugar and butter and beat until fluffy. Add egg and extract, beating well. Stir in flour and salt just until a dough forms. Chill the dough, covered, for 1-2 hours.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Using the bar plate in a cookie press, press out long strips of dough onto cookie sheets, 1" apart. Score the strips of dough at 2-1/2" intervals. Bake at 400 degrees F for 3-5 minutes until just set. Cookies shouldn't brown. Immediately cut into cookies along scored lines. Cool cookies on wire rack. Make sure to press out the next batch of cookies onto TOTALLY COOL cookie sheets. If you use hot cookie sheets, the dough will melt before it bakes and you'll have a big mess.

Melt chocolate and shortening microwave oven, stirring until smooth. Dip half of each cookie into the chocolate, dipping on an angle and varying the sides of the cookie you dip. Shake off excess chocolate and place on waxed paper. Sprinkle chocolate with nuts, coconut, or colored sprinkles.

Lori, those would be easy, and I have everything I'd need on hand. Those definitely go on the "consider this" list.

raebates said:
Ashley, since I can't stand the smell of Sauerkraut, I think I'll pass. :)

I'd love a dessert--something quick and easy that would be a bit different. Got any suggestions?

If you ate the sauerkraut, you'd pass, too.

Since your party is still in April and the trifle bowl is on special, did you consider making a German chocolate cake trifle of some sort? I'm not sure how you could do it, but what I love about trifles is that you throw ingredients together and it's always good. :)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
If you ate the sauerkraut, you'd pass, too.

only if it isn't GOOD sauerkraut. I miss good sauerkraut...

German potato salad!

Adnoel, that would be a good idea, but to the best of my knowledge trifles aren't German, even if I used traditionally German flavors. Ashley, I look forward to seeing some of those recipes. Since we're getting close in time I'm going to have to make a decision. I've had spaetzle, but it's one of those things that I think is best hot. I'm not sure I'd be able to keep it hot before serving. I'm also afraid that there will be several people bringing German potato salad, since that's one of the first things that popped into my mind. The plum tart sounds great, but I haven't seen plums in the stores.So, I'll be making the chocolate-dipped Spritz cookies. I figure those will be a bit different from what others might bring.

I have the family recipe for Ei Kuchen (egg nog cake) EXTREMELY moist that I make in our bundt-stone (sorry blanking on the name)!

A staple to the German diet Kartoffelkloesse (potato dumplings) but I would want to eat them warm!

mmmmmm... sauerkraut.... we devour it in our house, I can't make a big enough batch!

http://www.recipesource.com/

http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/europe/german/

Thank you, Lori G. The cookies were a HUGE hit. There weren't even any crumbs left--just a few lonely shreds of coconut.

Rae - it sounds like you were a hit! So neat when that happens! I have a question about the recipe. How many cookies did you get out of that batch?

I used the old cookie press and got 2 dozen 2 1/2" long cookies plus a few ends. I think the new one is narrower, so it would make more. I doubled the chocolate to make it easier to dip, knowing that The Furry Guy would gladly eat it. He'll eat the ends, too.

Thanks Rae! This sounds like a great recipe to use to me too! I too LOVE CHOCOLATE!!!! But I love COOKIES too! And easy ones at that!

yay, glad it turned out well for you =)

I made them with the almond flavoring. I was just thinking that they'd be good for Christmas with orange flavoring. Orange and chocolate together always make me think of Christmas.

raebates said:
I made them with the almond flavoring. I was just thinking that they'd be good for Christmas with orange flavoring. Orange and chocolate together always make me think of Christmas.

Micah & I just shared an orange & chocolate candy bar. :D

Related to Quick, Easy & Inexpensive German Food for Extension Homemakers Night

What types of German dishes can be made quickly and easily?

Some examples of quick and easy German dishes include bratwurst with sauerkraut, spaetzle with gravy, and schnitzel with potato salad.

Do I need to buy special ingredients to make German food?

Most German dishes can be made with common ingredients found in most grocery stores. However, some recipes may call for specialty items like spaetzle noodles or German mustard.

Can I make these dishes ahead of time?

Many German dishes can be made ahead of time and reheated before serving. However, dishes with delicate coatings, like schnitzel, are best made and served immediately for optimal taste and texture.

Are these recipes budget-friendly?

Yes, the focus of this event is to showcase quick, easy, and inexpensive German dishes. Many of the ingredients are affordable and can be found at reasonable prices at most grocery stores.

Can I adapt these recipes for dietary restrictions?

Yes, many German dishes can be adapted to fit dietary restrictions, such as vegetarian or gluten-free options. Some common substitutions include using vegetable broth instead of beef broth or using gluten-free breadcrumbs for schnitzel.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Patty Davis
  • rvagourmet
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • finley1991