• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Quick and Easy Cherry Chip Microwave Cake Recipe for Tonite - Try It Now!

In summary, the conversation is about making a cherry cake in a stoneware fluted pan using a microwave. The suggested method is to mix a cake batter using the cake mix, sour cream, and eggs, and then microwaving the mixture for 13-15 minutes. The cake should be cooled and inverted onto a serving plate before drizzling with warmed frosting. There is some debate about the texture and keeping ability of microwave cakes, and there is a mention of getting a new microwave in the future.
stayinathomemama
Gold Member
I have been reading on here about the stoneware fluted pan microwave cake. I have never tried this but I think that I will try it out on family tonite. Here's the thing. On hand I have a box of cherry chip cake (the family favorite), a can of cherry frosting, a container of sour cream and all the ingredients to make the cake (from the back of the box). So my question to you all is this... Have any of you made this cherry cake in the microwave and how would you do it? I know that there are a bunch of recipes for the stoneware pan, but I just haven't found this specific one. Thanks for your help!!

stayinathomemama said:
I have been reading on here about the stoneware fluted pan microwave cake. I have never tried this but I think that I will try it out on family tonite. Here's the thing. On hand I have a box of cherry chip cake (the family favorite), a can of cherry frosting, a container of sour cream and all the ingredients to make the cake (from the back of the box). So my question to you all is this... Have any of you made this cherry cake in the microwave and how would you do it? I know that there are a bunch of recipes for the stoneware pan, but I just haven't found this specific one. Thanks for your help!!
Use the cake mix, sour cream and 3 eggs to mix the cake (don't listen to the back of the box). Prep the pan and pour in the mixture. Microwave 13-15 minutes (cake separates from edge and bounces back when done). Cool 5 mnutes and invert onto serving plate. Cool completely. Put 1/3 to 1/2 of frosting into microcooker and microwave for about 15 seconds and drizzle over cake.

It's that easy.

If your micro doesn't have a turntable, rotate the pan 1/4 turn every 3 minutes or so.

I've found that the microwave cakes generally don't keep as well as an oven-baked cake, because the texture is different. So if you have some friends who you can invite over to help you eat it, you won't have leftovers, and you just might get a booking!

When I do this in a microwave without a turn table I just turn it once half way through the time and it always turns out great.

Also, Ann sorry but I have to disagree, I think this cake keeps well. I've had a piece 2 days after making it and it's still great! (But I have to say that it usually doesn't last that long.) Good idea about inviting people over to sample it though!

Really? Mine usually comes out a little rubbery - like a sponge. It's fine warm, but once it cools it turns into a brick. Maybe it's overcooked. I'll have to try it again.

chefann said:
Really? Mine usually comes out a little rubbery - like a sponge. It's fine warm, but once it cools it turns into a brick. Maybe it's overcooked. I'll have to try it again.
It's probably because you are disturbing it every 3 minutes.:eek: :p

Have an extra show and get a new microwave.:p :p :rolleyes: My son just got one for around $100 and it's full size (1200 watts I think).

Oh- new micro is definitely in the works. We're replacing the entire kitchen next year (see the My Kitchen Plan thread). I'm getting one with a built in fan, that will be mounted over the cooktop. But I LOVE my old one! It's sooo retro! And it's chrome. :D DH is going to put it in the garage for snacks when he's out there with the boys (or "Three Stooges Auto Repair," as I call them).

chefann said:
Oh- new micro is definitely in the works. We're replacing the entire kitchen next year (see the My Kitchen Plan thread). I'm getting one with a built in fan, that will be mounted over the cooktop. But I LOVE my old one! It's sooo retro! And it's chrome. :D DH is going to put it in the garage for snacks when he's out there with the boys (or "Three Stooges Auto Repair," as I call them).

I think my FIL has a microwave like yours in his basement.

missydivine said:
I think my FIL has a microwave like yours in his basement.
It's an Amana Radarange, from the original usage (not from the recent resurrection of the term). The door pulls down like a drawbridge, and you set the cook time with knobs. There's a 0-5 minute knob and a 0-60 minute knob below it. It still works great- pops a bag of popcorn in about 2 1/2 minutes.

chefann said:

JUST this year, we replaced our microwave that has been in this house since 1982!:rolleyes: It was part of a "mini-makeover" in the kitchen. The Micro (Which is a Behemoth!) was in a built in case where a cupboard would normally be. We installed a beautiful new over-the-stove microwave that matched our new Gas Oven/range. We got both of them as "scratch and dent" - the scratches were on the sides - can't even see the scratches now that they are installed.
Anyway - Where the Micro had been, Rick installed an open cupboard with Veritical Slats.......I now have a wonderful place to slide in a ton (not all - but alot) of my stoneware. It's so handy to just pull out whatever stone I need now! LOVE it!

Good Luck with your remodel Ann - I know you are going to love all the extra, well planned Cupboard Space! My thinking is - you can never have too much storage!

Thanks, Becky. I can't wait!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread. :D

I am in the minority about the micro cakes. I am a "cake snob" and I just don't like the texture of these cakes. TONS of people LOVE them, so I know it's just me being weird.

I also refuse to make them at a host's home, since every microwave is different and I never know how they will turn out. Guess I am a little bit of a control-freak!

But, I HAVE taken them to shows pre-made and talked about how simple they are! Most people really love them, and are won over by the fact that you can do them so quickly...and that our stoneware goes in the microwave!

KellyTheChef said:
I am in the minority about the micro cakes. I am a "cake snob" and I just don't like the texture of these cakes. TONS of people LOVE them, so I know it's just me being weird.

I also refuse to make them at a host's home, since every microwave is different and I never know how they will turn out. Guess I am a little bit of a control-freak!

But, I HAVE taken them to shows pre-made and talked about how simple they are! Most people really love them, and are won over by the fact that you can do them so quickly...and that our stoneware goes in the microwave!

I'm in that minority too Kelly! I don't like them, and neither does my family. They refuse to eat them when I have tested them at home. I guess we are a family of Cake Snobs!:rolleyes:

KellyTheChef said:

I'm in that minority too Kelly! I don't like them, and neither does my family. They refuse to eat them when I have tested them at home. I guess we are a family of Cake Snobs!:rolleyes:

I just can't force myself to make one for a show when it's something I wouldn't eat at home. I know most everyone loves them - and it's a mystery to me.:confused: I used to think it was me - that I was doing it wrong....but I've since had a chance to watch a couple demos where they were made......and thought the same with those cakes too. For the life of me - I can't understand why everyone likes them so much!

Thank you for all the help. Now what about putting the frosting in the mix before you cook it? What do you think about that? And since other posters think that cake is mediocre at best, should I just bake it in the oven?
It is for a family gathering at the lake (about 5 hours away.) I was planning on making at the cabin.

I think the appeal of these cakes is that they're practically instant cakes - no need to wait an hour for them to come out of the oven. Then cool. Then frost. If it's for a gathering where people will be having fun and visiting, then you don't need a showpiece dessert - go for it! Nuke that cake!

1. How long does it take to make this cherry chip microwave cake?

The total time for this recipe is about 10 minutes, including prep and cooking time.

2. Can I use a regular cake mix or do I need a specific brand?

You can use any brand of cherry chip cake mix for this recipe. Just make sure it is a 15.25 oz box.

3. Can I substitute the cherry pie filling for a different flavor?

Yes, you can use any flavor of pie filling that you prefer. Blueberry, apple, or peach would all work well.

4. Do I need to mix the ingredients separately before adding them to the mug?

No, simply combine all of the ingredients in the mug and mix until well combined.

5. Can I make this recipe in a regular oven instead of a microwave?

Yes, you can bake this cake in a regular oven at 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• fun2cook2
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • frozenchef