• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Questions About Working With Fondant.

In summary, you can colour the pre-made stuff, but I have heard that it tastes terrible. I use homemade MMF fondant, I will post a couple of web-sites later with instructions. The hardest part is getting it the right consistency, which is hard without some one with you to tell you when you have reached it (I am self taught, have done most of my cakes since Sept).
jrstephens
If I buy the prepackaged kind, can I color it? I have seen both white and primary colors at Walmart.

How long will it last if I have any left over?

I have never worked with fondant but want to learn how. Any tips?

I know we have talked about it before but I would like to talk about it again.

Cole's first birthday is in May and I am trying to decide what I want to do for it. I know I am planning WAY AHEAD but that's how I do for birthdays. And the cake is a huge part of me deciding what theme.

I think fondant cakes are so pretty.

I would LOVE to take a Wilton class but when they are offered they are 90 miles aways for 4 Saturdays and I cannot do that.

If I buy the prepackaged kind, can I color it? I have seen both white and primary colors at Walmart. You sure can! Be sure to buy the Wilton paste colors as regular food coloring is too liquid and will break down the fondant

How long will it last if I have any left over? Keep the wrap the fondant is wrapped in, and re-wrap. Then but into a ziplock bag and push ALL air out. Add to yet another bag and do the same. Air and water are fondant's enemies so if you keep them completely and totally away them, it can last up to a year

I have never worked with fondant but want to learn how. Any tips? Roll it thin, but not too thin. If you warm it for a few seconds in the microwave (out of the wrapper) it will be easier to roll. Air will dry it out fast so make sure you work quickly. Have powdered sugar on hand in case the coloring process makes it sticky and to help roll it out.

Cole's first birthday is in May and I am trying to decide what I want to do for it. I know I am planning WAY AHEAD but that's how I do for birthdays. And the cake is a huge part of me deciding what theme.

I would LOVE to take a Wilton class but when they are offered they are 90 miles aways for 4 Saturdays and I cannot do that. If you live in San Diego, I can come over and teach you personally. I own and operate a artisan bakery and have been a Wilton teacher for years! :)

Hey Jennifer,

I only have a minute, but I'll try and write more later.

You can colour the pre-made stuff, but I have heard that it tastes terrible. I use homemade MMF fondant, I will post a couple of web-sites later with instructions. The hardest part is getting it the right consistency, which is hard without some one with you to tell you when you have reached it (I am self taught, have done most of my cakes since Sept).

You have plenty of time to practice!

Got to run, check out my album to see some of the cakes I have done...

http://www.chefsuccess.com/members/anniebee-albums-cakes.html

Last edited:
Jennifer, the following has good instructions for making MMF, but the quantities given in the second web-site are better (I think).

CakeJournal | How to make marshmallow fondant

Fondant 101, Making Marshmallow Fondant, Cake Decorating

These quantities work better, but you need to be careful to not add too much powdered sugar, probably stop at 1 1/2 lbs and knead for a while, and add no more than 1 3/4lb, and that is probably too much. If it is too "wet" it will be sticky, but if the fondant is too dry, it will crack and not have enough stretch to smooth over the cake without wrinkles (I know this from experience :), my first attempt was pretty disasterous, the fonadant was WAY too dry!). Also, for this reason you need to be careful not to roll it too thin.

Thanks to Linda (I tihnk it was) for posting that last one, way back when...

The good news is that it is relatively cheap to try out, even if it doesn't turn out too well (just need 1 bag of Marshmallows and 1 2lb bag of powdered sugar, and plenty of time!).

I agree about the food colouring. You can also use americolor gel colorings, you can get them on-line.

Another trick for keeping the fondant, is to rub crisco over it before you wrap it to keep it from drying out. It does last for ages!

That's all I can think of for now, if you think of any more questions, just post!

murkey said:
If I buy the prepackaged kind, can I color it? I have seen both white and primary colors at Walmart. You sure can! Be sure to buy the Wilton paste colors as regular food coloring is too liquid and will break down the fondant

How long will it last if I have any left over? Keep the wrap the fondant is wrapped in, and re-wrap. Then but into a ziplock bag and push ALL air out. Add to yet another bag and do the same. Air and water are fondant's enemies so if you keep them completely and totally away them, it can last up to a year

I have never worked with fondant but want to learn how. Any tips? Roll it thin, but not too thin. If you warm it for a few seconds in the microwave (out of the wrapper) it will be easier to roll. Air will dry it out fast so make sure you work quickly. Have powdered sugar on hand in case the coloring process makes it sticky and to help roll it out.

I would LOVE to take a Wilton class but when they are offered they are 90 miles aways for 4 Saturdays and I cannot do that. If you live in San Diego, I can come over and teach you personally. I own and operate a artisan bakery and have been a Wilton teacher for years! :)

Thanks for the tips!!!

I wish I lived near you to have my own personal teacher!!! But I guess AL is too far of a drive, ha!

Annie,

I may have to give it a hand at trying to make my own. My dad's birthday is in March, so, I could practice on him.

Of course, we could just eat cake for no reason.:D

I have to practice seom things for a baby shower cake I have to do in February, so I will be needing people to eat cake too... I need to try out a few recipes as well as decorations...

Murkey, could you do some picture tutorials for us? I'd love to see some of your cakes too.

Also, do you have any cake recipes you could share? I'm looking for a good recipe for a lemon and/or vanilla cake that will work well as a 12" cake and stand up to being fondant covered and stacked... Oh, and a chocolate cake recipe too! My favourite one doesn't always come out well in a 12" pan (very dense and moist, doesn't always rise well in the middle), so I get nervous making it that big for other people...

I soooo want to try to make a pretty cake, maybe I'll try for my dad's birthday in a couple of weeks.

AnnieBee said:
I have to practice seom things for a baby shower cake I have to do in February, so I will be needing people to eat cake too... I need to try out a few recipes as well as decorations...

Murkey, could you do some picture tutorials for us? I'd love to see some of your cakes too.

Also, do you have any cake recipes you could share? I'm looking for a good recipe for a lemon and/or vanilla cake that will work well as a 12" cake and stand up to being fondant covered and stacked... Oh, and a chocolate cake recipe too! My favourite one doesn't always come out well in a 12" pan (very dense and moist, doesn't always rise well in the middle), so I get nervous making it that big for other people...

Sure! My website hasn't been updated lately since I am currently overbooked and not taking orders but here she is: http://www.bakerytreasures.com
lots of my work there. :chef:

I could do some pic tutorials... but I am slammed today. I will be more than happy to share soon though. ;)

Have you tried placing an additional baking core in the middle of your 12" pan? I find that anything over 10" need the middle core to help the cake bake evenly. Larger sizes like 16" need two of them.

Beautiful cakes!!!! The "cheese" case is so awesome!! How did u make it?

So, a regular cake does not stand up to fondant well?

I agree, your cakes are gorgeous. I particularly love the stargazer one. And I am so impressed with the drop strings... Something I need ALOT of practice on! One of these days I want to try making sugar flowers too...

For the chocolate cake, I have always used a baking core with my 12" pan. It's just a recipe that has a VERY runny batter (first time I made it I was scared I had made a mistake), even in a 9" pan it doesn't always rise evenly, but it tastes amazing. I might try adding small amounts of flour to the recipe to see if that helps without losing the flavour and moistness.

Jennifer, I just wouldn't use fondant on a large fluffy cake, as it is pretty heavy in large sizes!

OMG I just fell in love with "Irresistable"! How beautiful!

Just bumping in case anyone else has anything to add. I know several that have looked for this thread some lately.

Hey Jennifer, did you get my PM about the cake?

AnnieBee said:
Hey Jennifer, did you get my PM about the cake?

I did. Thanks!! I am going to take a try at fondant in the beginning of March. My dad's birthday is March 10 and I will make him a cake.

I need to get some fondant accessories.

1. What is fondant and how is it used in cooking?

Fondant is a type of icing that is commonly used in cake decorating. It is made from sugar, water, and gelatin and has a pliable, dough-like consistency. It is rolled out and used to cover cakes or create decorative elements.

2. Do I need special tools to work with fondant?

While there are some tools specifically designed for working with fondant, you can also use common kitchen utensils such as a rolling pin, knife, and cookie cutters. It is helpful to have a fondant smoother and various shaping tools for more intricate designs.

3. Can I make my own fondant or do I have to buy it?

You can make your own fondant using simple ingredients like marshmallows and powdered sugar. However, it can be time-consuming and tricky to get the texture just right. Many people prefer to buy pre-made fondant for convenience.

4. How do I store fondant?

Fondant can dry out quickly, so it is important to store it properly. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or seal it in an airtight container. You can also add a small amount of vegetable shortening to keep it from drying out. Store it at room temperature and use within a few weeks.

5. Can fondant be used on any type of cake?

Yes, fondant can be used on any type of cake, whether it is a single-tier cake or a multi-tiered wedding cake. It is important to make sure the cake is properly prepared before applying the fondant, such as smoothing out any bumps or cracks in the frosting.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcmckay
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ChefLoriG
  • jrstephens
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
jrstephens
  • pamperedlinda