• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Purchasing a Laptop for Pampered Chef Use: Pros & Cons

or would I need to buy a separate software?You can load PP+ on a Mac just like you would on other laptops. If you have a flash drive, you can also backup and transfer files between your Mac and other computers.
Chef Endora
Gold Member
I am thinking of treating myself to a laptop after the holidays. I will use it mostly for PC. I use P3. Will I be able to keep up to date info on both & how would I go about it?

What should I look for? What brands are good. What should I stay away from or know? Any pros & cons would be appreciated.

I am totally clueless on this.:blushing:

TIA:)

I'm no expert by any means - however I do love the HP laptop that I bought back in April - it's a great computer. I have a friend who knows everything computer and told me they are a good brand to choose (there was another one as well which escapes me too). Good luck with your search. I use P3 as well and haven't had any problems with it on my computer.

I have the Dell Inspiron 6400 chose Microsoft windows instead of Vista. Love it use it all the time don't forget to get wireless if you can makes things so much simpler. Strictly for PC. Very interchangable with my life and biz. hope you enoy yours. Merry Christmas.

I'm a little biased, but I LOOOOOOVE my MacBook! It was my anniversary present this year from DH. The models that are currently available can boot into Windows, so you can install and run PP/P3 on them. That's what I do.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but do you have to use the laptop strictly then, or is there a way to update P3 on the desktop to be able to use either?

I have an HP that I bought prior to conference. I love the computer, but can not figure how to get everything to work together...I am in desperate need of the geek squad. There used to be a principal at one of the schools I work at that would help me out but he and his wife moved...so I am geek-less!!!

LOVE MY NEW MACBOOK!!!! I do the same as Ann.

PChefMisty said:
Don't want to hijack the thread, but do you have to use the laptop strictly then, or is there a way to update P3 on the desktop to be able to use either?
If you have a flash drive, you can do backups and tote them back and forth from one machine to the other, using the "restore from backup" feature. Just make sure that you're always using the most recent data as the backup.

Whatever laptop you get make sure to get some sort of backup device. Here is my disaster story: three weeks ago did some work on my laptop in the morning all fine. Took the kids to school and decided to check my email before picking them up, my laptop would not boot up kept coming up with an error about either a missing or corrupt file. In my earlier life I was a computer help desk manager so I know the signs of something bad but was hoping for the best. I called Dell even though my laptop was past warranty but they were nice enough to run a couple of test with me. They confirmed my worst fears, my laptop hard drive was damaged. My whole life was on that laptop (my sons pictures, all my Pampered Chef documents, PP+ only to mention a few). Had to go buy a e new laptop fast, went to Best Buy and they were great, bought an HP. However, all new laptops come with Vista, if I wanted Windows had to order and would take a couple of weeks. So I got a new laptop only to take it home to find my printer and my old IPOD wouldn't work with Vista. So I had to buy a new printer and IPOD.

What hurts the most is with my background I should have had some sort of backup system but never thought anything would happen. So to make a long story short, buy a backup device and have it backup nightly.
:(

Thanks for all the feedback.

I am not totally computer illiterate, but not a real techie either. :confused: I don't quite understand how Vista differs from windows. And if I have a "not MacIntosh" desktop (son-in-law built it) using Windows XP, will this be interchangable with the flash drive thing? I don't think I have a flash drive:blushing: I would need to get one. I'm assuming that it can plug in to both?:balloon:

P.S. Ann, I'm loving my 5 X 8 calendar!

Mac QuestionI'm due to get my Mac tomorrow... :balloon: can't wait... been waiting a long time:love: . SO... do you just load the PP+ on the Mac just like you would on other laptops? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

I just got a Dell Inspiron 1501. I LOVE it so far! I do need to call Dell about a few minor issues.

I have 1 gigabyte of memorey and 120 gigabytes of harddrive. I chose XP instead of Vista b/c of all the problems I keep hearing with Wista. It also has the wireless card too. I got it seems like everything I will need for a while. The people at Dell were so helpful! I love that they ask you all kinds of questions on what you will be using it for and then build it to suit your needs. I have always gotten Dell except for one experience with Gateway that I was miserable with.

shuttermonster said:
I'm due to get my Mac tomorrow... :balloon: can't wait... been waiting a long time:love: . SO... do you just load the PP+ on the Mac just like you would on other laptops? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
You'll need to set up Boot Camp, which comes with the currently shipping version of the operating system. When you get that set up, install Windows in Boot Camp (you'll need a full install disc). Then you can boot the computer in Windows (easiest way is to go to Apple Menu > Restart, then hold down the option key while it starts until it asks you which startup drive to use), and install P3 in Windows.

email me at [email protected] if you have any questions.

I've worked with many brands (and off-brands) through the years. Everyone has different experiences, but for us it always comes down to customer service. We never had a bad experience with Dell and that's probably what I'll purchase the next time we get a new laptop computer. They always had someone who spoke fluent English and who had a wonderful personality when we called with questions or any problem. We were on and off the phone in no time and very satisfied with the outcome each time. Through our five years with them if we had to call in for a technical problem they couldn't fix on the phone, we had someone at our door the next day putting in new parts free-of-charge. One time they just shipped me a brand new flatscreen monitor when they couldn't figure out what was going on with mine over the phone.

Our most recent experience with HP has been excruciating. After multiple, multiple phone calls I dread ever having to call in again because I don't have two hours to waste on a simple issue (usually because of language translation problems). Our LCD screen went out twice in about a year's time and I've now discovered that lines across the LCD and discoloration are common on this HP version. :(

Again, everyone has different experiences and while mine have been great with Dell and poor with HP, Gateway, etc. someone else will have had the exact opposite experience. You never know. I *can* say that it might be helpful to ask for a manager, no matter what company you're with. After we complained viciously we were transferred to a manager who spoke fluent English and immediately helped us--sent new parts, etc. That's probably what we'll do if we ever have need to call in again.

P.S. I'd love to try Mac if I had the money. But at the same time, I work with a lot of people who have PCs and I worry about the translation while we pass documents back and forth for editing (i.e. Publisher, etc.). If I find a way to translate all of my "PC only" formats, I would seriously consider looking more closely at Mac.

LibrarianChef said:
P.S. I'd love to try Mac if I had the money. But at the same time, I work with a lot of people who have PCs and I worry about the translation while we pass documents back and forth for editing (i.e. Publisher, etc.). If I find a way to translate all of my "PC only" formats, I would seriously consider looking more closely at Mac.
Publisher is really the only format that can't be easily opened on a Mac. There is a Mac version of Office (without Publisher), and Open Office (free!) can also open standard Office files. Colleen (finley1991) just took the Mac plunge, and though it's only been a week, I think she's happy.

chefann said:
Publisher is really the only format that can't be easily opened on a Mac. There is a Mac version of Office (without Publisher), and Open Office (free!) can also open standard Office files. Colleen (finley1991) just took the Mac plunge, and though it's only been a week, I think she's happy.
I wonder if getting a Mac version of publisher is in the works since it's so heavily used. As editor of one of our small-town monthly newsletters, I rely heavily on Pub and can easily exchange it with the other editors. I have Open Office, too. Gotta love open source!

I hear that Pages on Mac is really nice. :D Have you tried it, Ann?

Um, is this what you call hijacking??? :angel:

This is a side-track hijacking. :) Kinda still on the same topic.

I have Pages on my Mac - DH bought it 2 years or so ago when it first came out. I haven't used it because I'm so used to the shortcuts and things in Word that I can do things so much faster that way. And I don't think that Pages can open Word files. I've looked through the instruction booklet, and it's not necessarily harder to use than Word, just different: different menus, different toolbars, etc.

There is supposedly a way to open Publisher docs on a Mac, but it involves using a piece of Adobe software, and I can't remember which one (InDesign maybe?) I don't forsee Microsoft spending the time to develop a Mac version of Publisher, either, but I have been wrong before. :)

1. What are the benefits of purchasing a laptop for Pampered Chef use?

Purchasing a laptop for Pampered Chef use offers several benefits. It allows you to easily access and use our online tools and resources, such as the consultant website and customer orders. It also provides the flexibility to work from any location and stay connected with your team and customers. Additionally, a laptop can help streamline your business and make tasks such as inventory management and recipe creation more efficient.

2. Are there any drawbacks to using a laptop for Pampered Chef business?

While there are many benefits to using a laptop for Pampered Chef business, there are also a few potential drawbacks to consider. Laptops can be more expensive than other devices, such as tablets or smartphones, and may require additional accessories like a mouse or external keyboard. They also require regular updates and maintenance to ensure optimal performance. Additionally, using a laptop may require a stable internet connection, which may not always be available when working on-the-go.

3. Can I use any type of laptop for Pampered Chef business?

We recommend using a laptop with a reliable operating system such as Windows or Mac, as well as a minimum of 4GB of RAM and a decent processor. This will ensure that you have enough storage and processing power to run our online tools and programs smoothly. However, you do not need to purchase a high-end, expensive laptop specifically for Pampered Chef use. A mid-range laptop with these specifications should suffice.

4. How do I protect sensitive information on my Pampered Chef laptop?

It is important to protect sensitive information on your Pampered Chef laptop to ensure the security of your business. One way to do this is by setting up a secure login password for your laptop. You can also consider using antivirus software to protect against malware and regularly backing up your data to an external hard drive or cloud storage. Additionally, be cautious when using public Wi-Fi networks and always log out of your Pampered Chef account when using a shared device.

5. Can I use a laptop for Pampered Chef business if I am not tech-savvy?

Yes, you can still use a laptop for Pampered Chef business even if you are not very tech-savvy. Our online tools and resources are user-friendly and we provide training and support for our consultants to help you navigate and utilize them effectively. You can also reach out to our tech support team for any technical issues or questions you may have. With a little bit of practice and patience, you can easily become comfortable using a laptop for your Pampered Chef business.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Chozengirl
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
bakewithschaefer
  • winklermom
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
AnaCash
  • kcjodih