• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Preventing Folder Theft at Shows: What Can I Do?

In summary, the conversation was about different methods of organizing and providing materials for guests at shows. Some people use folders, but have had issues with guests taking them. Others use a catalog with an order form and display monthly specials on a flip chart. Some suggest telling guests not to take the folders, while others have tried labeling them as recyclable with some success. Some use lapboards or pocket folders, and explain to guests that catalogs are costly and should not be taken. Finally, some use a combination of pocket folders and manila folders for different materials.
klsnyder
I have been putting the catalog, order form, and customer special in folders for each of the guests at my shows. The problem I have is that so many people are taking my folders. What can I do? And what do you all do at your shows?

I used to use folders...and after a while, got so pi**ed that people would write all over them, tear them, let their kids scribble on them, take them home with them...i gave up on folders. I now give each guest a catalog with an order form in it. I display the monthly specials on the flip chart so I only need to print out one.

Um, tell them not to take them??

I don't want to seem rude or cheap...:) I guess I have a hang up with that.

I also used to make up folders, but I found them to just be a hassle. Now I set a catalog, order form and pen on each chair, and in one of the catalogs, I put the guest special- That person is my announcer for the "commercial" they give commercial 3 times during "show" and will receive $1.00 off order for each one- It really helps get the show total up, AND it adds fun to the show.

don't you ever have people that are embarrassed or don't want to do it?

DebbieJ said:
Um, tell them not to take them??

I even tried putting a label inside the folders that said:

This folder is recyclable; it will be used again at the next show. Feel free to keep the contents, but please return the folder at the end of the show. I thank you & so do the trees!!

People are just RUDE. That's what I have learned.

Okay I use the folders, and I go through them with the guests at the begining of the show, I tell them they can have anything in there except for the folder, and no one has ever taken a folder home.I also have some do my commercial for me, I ask at the begining of the show who would like free shipping tonight, then you get quite a few hands, then I say well we will trade I give you free shipping if you help me out this evening. Then some hands go down and I let the host pick. It works out great! I do it for hosting as well! So there are 2 commercials going on throughout the night!

I just give a catalog, order form and a pen. I know people that use lapboards and who wants to take one of those home? (so that would work too I guess) I keep the host special and guest special in a see through plastic page cover and actually pass it around at my shows and then also show it again at check out when I ask them if they had fun and would like to have a night of fun of their own and earn products at the same time. I don't try to be fancy at my shows...I'm there to make money and the less I spend on the little things that I can't reuse....the more money for my family and I! I've never had anyone complain about how I do my shows so I will keep doing it this way!

I use pocket folders for Catalog, opportunity brochure, free recipe, etc. I also include a manila folder with my name, phone # etc. on a label on the folder which includes the order form (I use the write in's because I like to give them the 'wish list' that comes with it). I tell them to take this manila folder home to keep their receipts. I also tell them they can put any other into from the pocket folder into the manila to take home, but not the catalogs. I explain that I have to purchase the catalogs and they are costly. Once I explain that if they want to keep the catalog for a future order or to possibly pick up an order from someone else for me, they can keep the catalog. I don't mean to be cheap, but all this cost money and I try to save when I can. This way each show I just replace the manilas and any other info used out of the pocket folders. I used to put the monthly specials in everyones folders, but now I use the flip chart with 3 months specials and pass it around for everyone to see.

Chef Audrey said:
I use pocket folders for Catalog, opportunity brochure, free recipe, etc. I also include a manila folder with my name, phone # etc. on a label on the folder which includes the order form (I use the write in's because I like to give them the 'wish list' that comes with it). I tell them to take this manila folder home to keep their receipts. I also tell them they can put any other into from the pocket folder into the manila to take home, but not the catalogs. I explain that I have to purchase the catalogs and they are costly. Once I explain that if they want to keep the catalog for a future order or to possibly pick up an order from someone else for me, they can keep the catalog. I don't mean to be cheap, but all this cost money and I try to save when I can. This way each show I just replace the manilas and any other info used out of the pocket folders. I used to put the monthly specials in everyones folders, but now I use the flip chart with 3 months specials and pass it around for everyone to see.
Do people not complain about not being able to keep the catalog. I am sure they throw them away within a week. I just don't want to come across rude or cheap.

i don't give out folders, i just put a catty on everyone's seat then put pens and calculators in the small bowl caddy. Then b.c i've already gone through an ink cartdrage in two months i just print out all the upcoming and put it in a see through binder, go over them at the beging and pass it around during my show. For catalog shows I put everything in a binder but instead of the 25cent paper one's I got the plastic one's so they won't show ware also i got a zippered bag to go in those, i realized it would be better so they can keep money and checks togeather....~Tiffanyp

I have bounced between folders and lap boards and I think I am going to just do the catty and order form. When people would write or tear the folder, I would just stick a sticker over it. Kinda neat! I JUST decided to use the the catty and order form when I started out at LAST show with 25 folders and now I have 10. I guess they see the PC logo and want it? I don't get it.

mrssyvo said:
...I put the guest special- That person is my announcer for the "commercial" they give commercial 3 times during "show" and will receive $1.00 off order for each one- It really helps get the show total up, AND it adds fun to the show.
I LOVE THIS IDEA!!! I am totally going to do it!

I do the "commercial" at some of my shows. I try to pick the person that seems the most loud and obnoxious. That way she has the chance to be loud...but I have them remind people as often as they like...It can get very funny.

I use manila file folders as guest folders. And I tell the guests that they can keep it to keep their receipts in. And then they have a place to jot down notes about all the unique ways to use our products!

Inside the folders I put: catalog, order form, recruiting brochure, sometimes a referral card (Refer a host to me and get a Cookbook). I put pens into a SA bowl. The folders are also pre-labeled with my info so they have it handy if they need to call for service. I use the "Large File Labels" from Avery (don't remember the number), and they say:
"Pampered Chef Information
Your consultant, Ann Szwarc
phone; email
website"

I like these folders because they're fairly cheap, lighter weight than pocket folders and lapboards (both of which I used in the past and, yes, I had people taking lapboards home), and provide a reminder to customers that they need to keep the receipt for warranty purposes.

for my "commercial" I usually ask the hostess which of her guests are the most outgoing, and fun- and I kind of steer it that way. I do not want to make any of my guests uncomfortable,and I also want it to be fun, so I look for the most outgoing. At my Fundraiser show Saturday, we had about 20 women, and they all were having a blast, and I already had my "commerical" person picked out before the show because I know her, and she is so much fun "sort of like Patti Mercerino" and it was a blast!!!! I also had an outgoing person handing out the tickets, and people were bribing her her for tickets, and that was fun. My experience is that if everyone is having fun, they are more relaxed, and everyone enjoys themselves, and my sales are up as a result.

I use the Theme Show tri-fold that we get with our change-over kit (and bought a few more on supply - really cheap way to get folders). Then I cut it into 3 pocket folders. I put the catalog and order form in the pocket and a pen and business card in the little slit. I put a few stickers on the folder too ("I Love Referrals"). When I'm going over the folder info I tell them that I'd like to have the folders and pens back, but everything else is theirs to keep - I haven't had any problems. I also get a volunteer to do my guest special throughout the show and give a prize for helping me, usually an older SB or paring knife.

Linda, using the tri-fold is a great idea! Love it!! :D

I like that idea too!! It even has a tiny pocket cut in front for the opp. brochure or whatever... Has great pictures on the back.. hmmm.. I will have to think about that!
I am not sure if it REALLY helped my show total, but I use the folders because i feel more organized that way. (I always forget something and I don't need it to be order forms or catalogs). When I was using just cattys and of's I would forget to hand out the drawing slips (weird, I know) but I did.

........ and I got a great tip from my director (I think) to have your guests write your name, info. , etc. on the of's themeselves.. that way they read it, hear you say it and write it... much higher chance of them remembering your name..

I have a low voice (so I am told.. Imagine the Seinfeld episode LOL) and I laugh because in the beginning ,when I introduce myself, and people are of course talking either no one hears my name or they think I said Carol or something. SO.. this reallly worked for me.
I actually thought about getting a small mic. type thing to attach to my shirt so I don't have to yell..not pretty!

Last edited:
chefann said:
Linda, using the tri-fold is a great idea! Love it!! :D

I can't take credit for coming up with this idea - but I thought it was a good one. I read it somewhere (maybe even here?) and decided to give it a whirl. I really like it because I think it looks nice and neat. You may have to reinforce the pocket sides of the folder with a bit of clear tape as the glue comes apart on some of them. I use the write-in sales receipts and fold them in half length-wise, then I put the order form behind the catalog - and if I have any other info (like at the end of the season, the items that are being discontinued or price increase) I put that on top of the catalog. I put my business card in the little slit pocket and sometimes I have a tri-fold that I customized for myself that I put in there too. I really don't want to overwhelm the guests with paper so I tend to keep it simple.

1. How can I keep my folders safe at shows?

One way to keep your folders safe is to always keep them within your line of sight. Avoid leaving them unattended on a table or in a common area where anyone can access them.

2. Can I use a lock or password to secure my folders?

Yes, you can use a lock or password to secure your folders. There are various options available such as locking file cabinets or password-protected folders on your computer.

3. What should I do if I notice someone trying to take my folders?

If you notice someone trying to take your folders, calmly approach them and ask if you can assist them with something. If they continue to make attempts to take your folders, politely inform them that they are not for sale and keep them within your reach.

4. Is it a good idea to have a helper watch my folders while I'm busy with customers?

Yes, it is always a good idea to have a helper watch your folders while you are busy with customers. This will ensure that your folders are not left unattended and vulnerable to theft.

5. What are some other preventive measures I can take to avoid folder theft at shows?

Besides keeping your folders within your reach and having a helper watch them, you can also consider using a clear plastic cover for your table or display to make it difficult for someone to grab your folders without your knowledge. You can also keep your most valuable folders in a separate, more secure location.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
nay62
Replies
Views
ritabenson
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • RCKmom
  • Products and Tips