• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Playing Hookey at a Conference Workshop?

P
Pampered Laura
Anyone ever played hookey from a workshop at conference? Just wondering :eek:

Laura - Are you planning a shopping trip?? LOL!

Yup - every single one...since I've never been to Conference!

I'd only consider playing hookey if I'm not signed up for Carolyn's workshop and want to go sneak into that one. ;)

I used to play hookey at all my school counselor conferences back in the day....it was great when the school district paid for us to go. :)

I went to conference last year for the first time and I attended every one of my workshops. I got so much out of them! I'm so excited about attending conference this year that I wouldn't even consider playing hookey.

I did last year. It wasn't really hookey, though. I had food poisoning or something and was sick as a dog. I really tried to go to all my workshops, but just couldn't make it through them.

I did not play hooky, but I was still able to get in some shopping. I'm planning to shop at Crate & Barrel and Room & Board no matter what it takes. I don't get to Chicago as much as I'd like, and when I do go someone else is always pulling me to places I don't care to go. I won't need to play hooky, hopefully.
JAE
Wave 1

janetupnorth said:
Yup - every single one...since I've never been to Conference!

I'd only consider playing hookey if I'm not signed up for Carolyn's workshop and want to go sneak into that one. ;)

Don't make me come up there and open a can o' whup ass on you!!!

Lookout - Carolyn's hubby is working late, she has spent the last hour working on her workshop notes...she's cross-eyed and giddy...and she found the smiley-sites again...

A cross-line Director I know NEVER attends the workshops she registers for. She leaves them and sneaks into other ones that sound interesting.

dannyzmom said:

Lookout - Carolyn's hubby is working late, she has spent the last hour working on her workshop notes...she's cross-eyed and giddy...and she found the smiley-sites again...
My son's have alarm clocks with that saying played on them, but it beeps out the "a" word. I never knew what it was supposed to say. It just keeps playing other things, so I never really thought about it much. Now I know.

Kathytnt said:
Laura - Are you planning a shopping trip?? LOL!
Who me? Never! I was just wondering if someone out there would ever dream of doing such a thing! :eek: :eek: :p

dannyzmom said:

Sorry Carolyn, they don't let you take aerosols on airplanes and it's quite a long drive!

Besides, you'd never want to beat me up...

janetupnorth said:
Sorry Carolyn, they don't let you take aerosols on airplanes and it's quite a long drive!

Besides, you'd never want to beat me up...

details...details...details...
...besides...now that I know that you know all you know about vertigo (wow, that was a mouthful), and I know that you'll be at wave 2...I am going to be counting on you to catch me when things start spinning...and man oh man...if things start spinning as I am hauling ass across stage - you Cheffers BETTER run up and catch me!!!!!!!!!

dannyzmom said:
details...details...details...
...besides...now that I know that you know all you know about vertigo (wow, that was a mouthful), and I know that you'll be at wave 2...I am going to be counting on you to catch me when things start spinning...and man oh man...if things start spinning as I am hauling ass across stage - you Cheffers BETTER run up and catch me!!!!!!!!!

I think I got vertigo reading that! LOL!
I'll be sure to sit close if you're teaching any of my sessions. :)

Now, if you are up on the piano at the piano bar...well, um...I think I'll take a picture first...:D :p

janetupnorth said:
I think I got vertigo reading that! LOL!
I'll be sure to sit close if you're teaching any of my sessions. :)

Now, if you are up on the piano at the piano bar...well, um...I think I'll take a picture first...:D :p

Well ya'll can rest assured I will NOT be drinking at the piano bar this year. I have been walking around all week feeling "buzzed" - the LAST thing I want at this point is alcohol...http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/sick0020.gif

And as for my workshop - alright, okay, you win...you can come....but you MUST sit in the front row with a bottle of Dramamine in case I start looking woozy.

I had a new recruit tha signed in April and went to conference in July. She walked out of a few of the general sessions, took a nap through 1 or 2 of her workshops and didn't enjoy the home office tour. Needless to say, she's no longer on my team. She didn't qualify and she doesn't have a good taste in her mouth for PC. Although it is not PC's fault.

Oh and Leadership in Atlanta, GA I was sick as a dog. My friends said I looked like death warmed over. It hit me the first night (the night before conference started) and tore me up!! I had chills and a fever, running nose...you name it. I was laid up! I hated missing conference, but I had no choice. I went to all of the general sessions (I think), but it was dang hard.

Last year, when I was sick, I was amazed at the number of people just roaming the halls instead of taking their workshops. Um, hello?!? You PAID to be here - go take advantage of the training!

okay Laura, I'll be honest with you !
while I know going to conference is the best training I can (pay for) get to boost my biz, I could probably (easily) be talked out of at least 1 workshop.
For me being a SAHM (to 3 kids + DH and a bunch of pets) this is also a mini vacation. :)

Last year, I walked out of one of my workshops.....along with several others(including some upper-level directors!) - the woman teaching the workshop was obnoxious, and very defensive from the beginning about how what she was suggesting/promoting "Wasn't lying"......and when someone in the audience challenged her on it, she started arguing about how she didn't think it was lying......I can't even remember what it was - but it was definitely lying! Decided I really didn't want to learn what she was teaching, so walked out and went to Starbucks for a much needed Latte.I was disappointed when I discovered that the 2nd presenter was Jana Washatka, and I missed getting to hear her.

ChefBeckyD said:
Last year, I walked out of one of my workshops.....along with several others(including some upper-level directors!) - the woman teaching the workshop was obnoxious, and very defensive from the beginning about how what she was suggesting/promoting "Wasn't lying"......and when someone in the audience challenged her on it, she started arguing about how she didn't think it was lying......I can't even remember what it was - but it was definitely lying! Decided I really didn't want to learn what she was teaching, so walked out and went to Starbucks for a much needed Latte.

I was disappointed when I discovered that the 2nd presenter was Jana Washatka, and I missed getting to hear her.

I think I must have been in that workshop. I had never before walked out of a workshop but last year had a really, really, really bad one and myself and quite a few of other people walked out of it.

nicki25 said:
I think I must have been in that workshop. I had never before walked out of a workshop but last year had a really, really, really bad one and myself and quite a few of other people walked out of it.

I bet that was the same one! I was soooo disappointed - because usually I LOVE the workshops - but that one really left a bad taste in my mouth! And it was pretty obvious that alot of people felt the same way.

The strange thing was that as I walked out, a friend from my cluster was walking out of the one next to mine, because the presenter of her workshop was suggesting unethical behaviour too!!! Her's was a workshop on Balancing a full time job, and PC - and the presenter was suggesting that you use your employers copy machine, paper, etc..... to get your PC work done during the day!:eek: Funny I can remember that!

Being the cheapo that I am, I refuse to walk out of a workshop since I PAID to be there...well, I didnt pay for conference - got that free - but I did pay for the airfare and hotel...and I took time away from my kids to be there - so the only thing I wanna do while I am there is to absorb every bit of info that I can .
I am one of those that takes advantage of every waking minute to learn - I pick brains on the shuttles, at the meals, in the hallways, you-name-it.

I've skipped out on one workshop to sneek into another. That's happened when I've heard that the one I'm planning to go to is awful or that the one I didn't sign up for is awesome.

chefjeanine said:
I've skipped out on one workshop to sneek into another. That's happened when I've heard that the one I'm planning to go to is awful or that the one I didn't sign up for is awesome.

I've done that once or twice. I would go to mine just to see if it was truly as bad as everyone said, then I would leave and go to a different workshop. In all of the conferences I've been to (about 5 or 6 including Leadership) I've only had to do this about 3 times.

I went to conference last year for the first time, and I didn't' miss a one of my workshops... I think I might have tried to dose off in one or two not because they were boring but because I was so flipping tired and exhausted from walking my rear end off... OK.... where do you find soda at conference???? I don't' want to bring it with me on the plane..hehe that would be stupid.... but where at the hotels or McCormick Palace can I buy soda pop to drink.. I am not a coffee drinker.... other wise i would get my caffeine that way.

There are places like Walgreens & CVS on nearly every block. Once you've registered at your hotel, why not pop into one to pick up what you want?

If you're at the Hilton, there's a Jewel (Albertson's) store about 2-3 blocks south.

I am staying at the Sheraton we stayed at the Palmer House last year.. so I have no idea what is close by........ even if I can get an ice tea from starbucks I would be happy too hehe

mommyhugz1978 said:
I am staying at the Sheraton we stayed at the Palmer House last year.. so I have no idea what is close by........ even if I can get an ice tea from starbucks I would be happy too hehe

There's a little grocer diagonally to the upper left when you walk out the front door of the Sheraton. I am a chocolate milk drinnker - so I brought my powdered Nesquik with me and bought a small container of milk at the grocer...

Thanks..... I don't' think my roomies would appreciate caffeine withdrawal headaches... LOL

There are some soda machines at McCormick Center, but in the past, they've been sold out by mid-afternoon of Day 1, Wave 1. And they're pricey (something like $2 for a 20 oz bottle). You'd think that management would notify the vending company that they've got a big conference, and to keep the machines stocked. (JMHO)

You would think that they would keep their stock up wouldn't you....

Related to Playing Hookey at a Conference Workshop?

1. Can I really play hookey at a conference workshop?

Yes, at Pampered Chef, we believe in work-life balance and understand that sometimes taking a break from a workshop can be beneficial for your well-being.

2. Will I get in trouble for playing hookey at a conference workshop?

No, our workshops are meant to be fun and engaging, and if you feel like you need a break, we encourage you to take it. Just make sure to communicate with your team lead and let them know beforehand.

3. How often do people play hookey at Pampered Chef conference workshops?

It's not very common, but we do see people taking breaks from time to time. We believe in trusting our employees and giving them the autonomy to make decisions that are best for them.

4. What are some fun activities or things to do while playing hookey at a conference workshop?

You can explore the conference venue, take a walk outside, grab a snack or coffee, or even join a different workshop that interests you more. The options are endless!

5. Is playing hookey at a conference workshop frowned upon at Pampered Chef?

No, we understand that everyone has different ways of recharging and taking breaks. As long as you communicate with your team lead and make sure your work is completed, taking a break is completely acceptable at Pampered Chef.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DanielleQ
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
mommyhugz1978
  • dannyzmom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefkristin
Replies