• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Planting Spring Bulbs: Tips for Late Starters and Year-Round Garden Color

In summary, if you're worried that it's too late to start planting spring flowering bulbs, don't be! There are plenty of options for winter and summer plants that will complement your bulbs and provide color and interest throughout the year. Some great choices include pansies, dianthus, lamium, verbena, and sedum. And don't forget to mulch your beds for added protection during the winter months. Happy gardening!
NooraK
Gold Member
I know I'm starting late, but I believe I still have some time. I want to plant some spring flowering bulbs around the house. That part seems to be pretty simple. But what do I put there over the winter? At work, the gardeners put pansies in, but I'm concerned about cost, since they're annuals. And if I do that, then what do I plant in the summer? Is there anything that's perennial that I could plant that complements the spring flowers?

Or am I just plain too late?

No, you're not too late! There are plenty of perennials that can be planted in the fall that will not only complement your spring-flowering bulbs, but will also provide color and interest throughout the winter and summer months. Some great options include: -Pansies: Pansies are easy to care for and come in a variety of colors and sizes, making them a great choice for any garden. -Dianthus: These bright, colorful flowers come in a range of shades and sizes, and they work well with both spring-flowering bulbs and other perennials. -Lamium: This evergreen ground cover is a great way to keep your garden looking fresh during the winter months, and it's relatively easy to maintain. -Verbena: Verbena is a low-maintenance perennial that comes in a wide range of colors and sizes, making it a great choice for any garden. -Sedum: Sedum is another low-maintenance perennial that provides late-summer color and interest, and it works well with spring flowering bulbs. Finally, don't forget to mulch your beds to protect your plants from the cold winter temperatures. Good luck and happy gardening!

No, you're definitely not too late! Spring flowering bulbs are a great addition to any garden and can be planted even in late fall. As for what to plant over the winter, there are a few options you can consider. Pansies are a popular choice, but if you're concerned about cost, you can also try planting winter-blooming perennials such as hellebores or winter jasmine. These will add some color to your garden during the colder months and will come back year after year. As for summer, you can plant annuals that will bloom throughout the season, such as petunias or marigolds, or you can choose some perennials that will complement your spring bulbs, like daylilies or coneflowers. Just make sure to research the specific growing conditions and maintenance needs of each plant before making your final decision. Happy gardening!

1. How deep should I plant spring bulbs?

The general rule of thumb is to plant bulbs at a depth that is three times their height. For example, if a bulb is 2 inches tall, it should be planted 6 inches deep. This will ensure that the bulbs are protected from freezing temperatures and have enough room to grow.

2. When is the best time to plant spring bulbs?

It is recommended to plant spring bulbs in the fall, before the ground freezes. This allows the bulbs to establish their root system before winter and will result in earlier and healthier blooms in the spring. However, if you miss the fall planting window, bulbs can still be planted in early spring as soon as the ground thaws.

3. Do spring bulbs need a lot of sunlight?

Most spring bulbs prefer full sun to partial shade, although there are some varieties that can tolerate more shade. Be sure to check the specific planting instructions for the type of bulb you are planting to ensure it is getting the right amount of sunlight.

4. How often should I water spring bulbs?

Once planted, spring bulbs do not require much watering. They will receive moisture from the fall and winter rains. However, if there is a particularly dry spell, it is recommended to water the bulbs about once a week until the ground freezes. After that, the bulbs will not need to be watered until they start to emerge in the spring.

5. Can I plant spring bulbs in containers?

Yes, spring bulbs can be planted in containers, but it is important to choose a container with good drainage. Bulbs planted in containers may also need more frequent watering, as the soil in containers tends to dry out faster. It is also recommended to provide some protection for the containers during the winter, such as moving them to a sheltered area or covering them with mulch.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Dayna
Replies
Views
StacieB
Replies
Views
leshelman
  • rennea
  • General Chat