• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can I Plant an Herb Garden Alongside My Veggies? Tips for First-Time Gardeners

In summary, a couple is planning to plant a garden and wants to include an herb garden. They ask for advice on what herbs to plant and how to care for them. Some suggestions include cilantro, sweet basil, oregano, chives, rosemary, parsley, mint, sage, thyme, and scented geraniums. They also discuss the difference between annual and perennial herbs and the option of planting in pots to control growth. The conversation also touches on using herbs in cooking, such as making rubs for meat or adding them to tea. Some members have difficulty growing certain herbs or have concerns about their cats playing in the herb garden.
Karen
Gold Member
OK, my DH and I are planting our garden this coming weekend.:) Along with our regular veggies I also want to plant an herb garden for the first time. I'm looking for advice as to what to plant, what's everyone's favorite, and some ideas of uses (besides some of the obvious cooking ideas). Can I plant herbs in with my regular veggies or should I plant them in a separate area?

Has anyone planted garlic and if so what's some advice I should have? TIA!

cilantro is one of my favorites - goes very well with anything mexican. I add it to Nachos, Fajitas, salsa and Chili.

Sweet basil - great on a caprese sandwich/salad, anything italian, i make portabella pizzas with fresh basil, garlic, tomato and mozarella

Oregano is super easy, but it can take over. Chives are another easy one and mine have came back for years.

Love basil but can't grow it to save my soul!

Rosemary is also a great one to use on meat and super easy to grow, just make sure it has plenty of room.

I make a rub from fresh Rosemary, sea salt, fresh garlic and olive oil. Rub this all over the chicken (or turkey) before putting in the roaster...not only does it taste wonderful...the smell is divine! And since it has been on my mind all day I may have to try it on the 30 minute chicken. :D

I have parsley, cilantro, basil, thyme, and oregano all in pots, ready to be planted - so, do I plant them in the ground or in planters? AND - this is a stupid question from a herb garden first timer - but are these herbs perennials or annuals? And I think I'd like to get rosemary too.

Oh - and I did try to grow a little herb pot garden one time in my bay window - but my cats considered it their little playground, and I finally had to give up.

Rosemary, sweet marjoram, parsley, mint, sage, thyme and chives are all perennial herbs.

Coriander, chervil, chives, oregano, basil and dill are all annual.

I plant all mine in clay pots...for several reasons, the main 2 being that several of these can "take over" a large area and are easier to maintain in pots, the second reason would be that they can be moved inside in the event of a frost...Happy Herbing! HTHs & good luck!!

Chives have taken over my "weed garden ... " it smells like chopped onions every time I mow them down ...You may want to plant them in a container if you are concerned about them spreading.

Mint is a great herb to have on hand for garnishing desserts! It is also great to put 3-4 sprigs into your family size tea bags while steeping to make mint iced tea - so refreshing on a hot summer day! But - it does spread by root runners, so it might be best to plant in a pot or put a barrier in the ground around it. Basil, sage and dill are all very easy to grow from seed. Rosemary and lavender are easiest to buy small plants. We like to put rosemary sprigs on top of the charcoal (after it gets to the white ash stage) when grilling -especially chicken. As to garlic, here in Oklahoma we plant it in the fall so the bulbs have a chance to grow nice and slow and plump! All of the thymes are wonderful in homemade salad dressings or on chicken dishes and they smell wonderful - plant close to the border of your garden spot so you brush them as you walk. I'm also a fan of the scented geraniums, especially the citrus varieties. Good luck with your garden!

KellARooni said:
Rosemary, sweet marjoram, parsley, mint, sage, thyme and chives are all perennial herbs.

Coriander, chervil, chives, oregano, basil and dill are all annual.

I plant all mine in clay pots...for several reasons, the main 2 being that several of these can "take over" a large area and are easier to maintain in pots, the second reason would be that they can be moved inside in the event of a frost...Happy Herbing! HTHs & good luck!!

coriander is another name for cilantro, right?

Shoot - I was hoping that one was a perennial.

thanks for the info - I was wondering how much real estate they might start to take up if I planted them in the ground!

I already have a planter full of chives - I do absolutely nothing with them but they come back bigger and better every year.

Coriander is one I have never really figured out how to use...The seed clusters the plant gives off is the coriander and the leaves are the cilantro...go figure?? I have never used the seeds so to me it is cilantro! :rolleyes:

Another one I failed to mention is Lavender...of course not for cooking but it is a great one to have. It puts off beautiful flowers that you can dry and use for many things...and very easy to care for.

Talk about real estate hogs...MINT!! Keep it in a POT!!

Lavender, mint, rosemary, thyme, chamomile and lemon balm! I also love nettles but most people consider that a weed, so its up to you but it has many medicinal benefits. I love dandelions too for the medicinal value.Lavender not only smells great, looks pretty and can be eaten but it will also repel bees. Mint in iced tea is awesome. Be careful with the lemon balm also it can take over your garden. I don't mind lemon balm taking over, but I also love nettles so keep that in mind. :)

Rebeccascabinet said:
Lavender, mint, rosemary, thyme, chamomile and lemon balm! I also love nettles but most people consider that a weed, so its up to you but it has many medicinal benefits. I love dandelions too for the medicinal value.Lavender not only smells great, looks pretty and can be eaten but it will also repel bees. Mint in iced tea is awesome. Be careful with the lemon balm also it can take over your garden. I don't mind lemon balm taking over, but I also love nettles so keep that in mind. :)
LOL - I have plenty of nettles and dandelion you could have.I'm glad you are here Rebecca! I am starting my first herb garden (ran to a nursery yesterday and got Rosemary, too!) and I'll probably be picking your brain alot!eta - and now I think I need to go back and pick up some lavender!I just read that cilantro needs a cooler, shady area....has that been true for you?

ChefBeckyD said:
I just read that cilantro needs a cooler, shady area....has that been true for you?

My cilantro seemed a little wilty, maybe that's why? I have it in partial to almost full sun. Maybe it needs some shad. Also my cilantro just flowered, is that normal? I feel silly asking that but I've never grown cilantro before this year and have never seen it flower!

bsaxman said:
My cilantro seemed a little wilty, maybe that's why? I have it in partial to almost full sun. Maybe it needs some shad. Also my cilantro just flowered, is that normal? I feel silly asking that but I've never grown cilantro before this year and have never seen it flower!

Mine looks like it's going to flower too - is that supposed to happen? I know that chives flower.....

You know I dont' grow cilantro. I would ask the gardner at your nursery. They would have a better idea.
Yes, go pick up lavender! It great with chamomile if you want a relaxing tea before bed! Lemon balm and mint tea is awesome in the morining if you want a little pick me up.
My local nursery is having an herb fest on the 21st and I can't wait to plant my herb garden this year. I tend to plant herbs for their looks and smells as opposed for the culinary uses. I buy dried herbs for Mountain Rose Herbs to use in cooking, teas, tinctures, etc. I plant because I love the looks and smell. Even my nettles and dandelion I buy believe it or not. My husband can't believe I spend money buying weeds.

Yes, it should have white or pink flowers. The leaves are the "cilantro" part.

Rebeccascabinet said:
You know I dont' grow cilantro. I would ask the gardner at your nursery. They would have a better idea.
Yes, go pick up lavender! It great with chamomile if you want a relaxing tea before bed! Lemon balm and mint tea is awesome in the morining if you want a little pick me up.
My local nursery is having an herb fest on the 21st and I can't wait to plant my herb garden this year. I tend to plant herbs for their looks and smells as opposed for the culinary uses. I buy dried herbs for Mountain Rose Herbs to use in cooking, teas, tinctures, etc. I plant because I love the looks and smell. Even my nettles and dandelion I buy believe it or not. My husband can't believe I spend money buying weeds.

Um, yeah, my DH would probably think I had lost it...plus, I would have to mail order them, since what Nursery around here would sell what everyone else is trying to kill?:D

In Holland Michigan, every year there is a world renowned Tulip Time Tulip Festival (one of the top 10 Flower Festivals in the US) but in Borculo, MI (a rural community just east of Holland) every year, the week before the Tulip Time, there is the Dandelion Festival. Started completely tongue-in-cheek, but now has a parade, a Dandelion Princess, and carnival for kids....and the Borculo lawn with the best display of dandelions (ha ha) gets an award!

I would a dandelion festival!!!!

I grow basil and parsley b/c I use those the most. I take them to my shows with me to save my host money too. PC loves basil it seems!

I use a dehydrator and put mine in jars to use all year long too.

bsaxman said:
cilantro is one of my favorites - goes very well with anything mexican. I add it to Nachos, Fajitas, salsa and Chili.

Sweet basil - great on a caprese sandwich/salad, anything italian, i make portabella pizzas with fresh basil, garlic, tomato and mozarella

I JUST bought some the other day to try to start my own little herb garden. I'm just going to do them in clay pots because I really don't have anywhere in my yard to grow them. This is my first attempt at growing herbs. I wanted to try to plant cherry tomatoes, but I don't know how hard that is to grow. personally I don't like tomatoes much but I could always use a few for recipes.

It's nice to know I have a thread (and fellow cheffers) to come and refer to!!! I'm pretty clueless about herbs and/or gardening, so all of these questions would have been what I would have asked, too!!!

Becky,

Tomatos are not hard to grow. I grow mine in barrells b/c I do not have a big enough yard to plow a row or anything. I have a 50 gallon drum that my dad cut in half to make me two barrells. I filled them with potting soil and dirt from my dad's horse pen. I have 4 plants in each barrell. I also have a barrell wtih 4 different pepper plants and one barrell with cucumber in it. THis is my 2nd year to do this.

On my porch I have two big planter with my basil and parsley in them.

I miracle grow them all once a week.

Oh boy, then tomatoes may not be a good one for me to try. I like the idea of growing peppers too. How tough are they? Maybe I should stick with easy herbs because I'd just be doing them in clay flowerpots.:)

pamperedbecky said:
Oh boy, then tomatoes may not be a good one for me to try. I like the idea of growing peppers too. How tough are they? Maybe I should stick with easy herbs because I'd just be doing them in clay flowerpots.:)

As long as you get a big planter/pot you could grow one plant in each planter. Tomatoes and Peppers both have a lot of roots, so, they need room to grow.

I have 4 of each in the barrells, so, you could do one in each pot and I think it would be fine.

Becky,
As you can tell I love herbs! I must have over 20 herb books and have taken tons of classes. I could go on forever on herbs and all their medicinal uses!

I have been growing a few basic herbs since I beame a consultant. Sweet Basil is my favorite! I also do parsley and chives.
I made a discovery about basil a few years ago... If you cut a stem and put it in a glas of water it will root! I kept basil growing fresh in my Minnesota litchen thru january!

You guys have gotten me hooked. I only have room for 6 pots in my kitchen and would like to know which plants grow best together. (In the same pot)

1. What herbs should I include in my first herb garden?

For first-time herb gardeners, we recommend starting with easy-to-grow herbs such as basil, parsley, chives, mint, and thyme. These herbs are versatile and can be used in a variety of dishes.

2. Can I grow herbs indoors or do I need a garden?

You can definitely grow herbs indoors! Many herbs can thrive in pots or containers on a sunny windowsill. Just make sure to provide enough light and water for your herbs to grow successfully.

3. How often should I water my herb garden?

The frequency of watering depends on the type of herb and the climate you live in. As a general rule, most herbs prefer well-drained soil and should be watered when the top inch of soil feels dry.

4. How do I know when to harvest my herbs?

Herbs are ready to be harvested when they have grown to a substantial size. You can also check the plant's growth instructions for more specific harvesting guidelines. When harvesting, make sure to only take a few leaves at a time to allow the plant to continue growing.

5. How do I preserve my herbs for later use?

There are a few ways to preserve your herbs for later use. You can dry them by hanging them upside down in a well-ventilated area, freeze them in ice cube trays with water or oil, or make herb-infused oils or vinegars. Make sure to research the best method for each type of herb you are growing.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
StacieB
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • esavvymom
  • Recipes and Tips