• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Perfectly Chopped Tomatoes: The Best Technique for Using a Food Chopper

In summary, Beth says to chop the tomatoes skin side down, to avoid big chunks. Leea says she has chopped both ways and doesn't pay much attention to it.
Harrle
Okay so my brain is just not working today...I had a host ask for a guest about using the Food Chopper for tomatoes, when chopping things that have a 'skin' do you chop them skin side up or skin side down? I usually chop green pepper and always thought it best to chop skin side up so it was the first thing it went through and to make sure it did go all the way through. But now that I have been asked about it I am second guessing myself. Thanks in advance for your ideas!!

Leea

I have always been told not to use it for tomatoes.

It really depends on what she is using the tomatoes for. I use mine to chop tomatoes for chili and soup. You need to chop them skin side down. you have to be careful though because they can easily end up looking like tomatoe mush which is why I only use mine for recipies where you wont see them.

I rarely use the chopper for tomatoes but you can.I always chop onions and peppers skin side up (toward the blade) to avoid those big unchopped pieces so I would think that's what you would do with a tomato too. The blade needs to hit the toughest part of the vege first to be most effective.

BethCooks4U said:
I rarely use the chopper for tomatoes but you can.I always chop onions and peppers skin side up (toward the blade) to avoid those big unchopped pieces so I would think that's what you would do with a tomato too. The blade needs to hit the toughest part of the vege first to be most effective.
Thanks for that tip Beth! I was wondering why when I chop onions I always end up with big chunks. I will have to pay more attention to that!

I, too, use it for tomatoes when I need them in something.

I've also chopped peppers and onions both ways. I don't pay that much attention to it. LOL

1. What is a food chopper and how does it work?

A food chopper is a kitchen tool designed to quickly and easily chop, dice, and mince ingredients. It typically consists of a sharp blade attached to a handle or base. To use a food chopper, simply place the ingredients inside the chopper and use the handle to push down on the blade, which will chop the food into smaller pieces.

2. Can a food chopper be used for all types of food?

Food choppers are versatile and can be used for a variety of foods, including vegetables, fruits, nuts, and even some meats. However, it is important to make sure the food is cut into small enough pieces to fit inside the chopper and to avoid overfilling the chopper to ensure even chopping.

3. Is a food chopper dishwasher safe?

It depends on the specific food chopper. Some choppers are dishwasher safe, while others may need to be hand washed. Be sure to check the manufacturer's instructions for the specific chopper you are using.

4. Can a food chopper be used to make purees and sauces?

While a food chopper is primarily used for chopping and dicing, some models may also have the ability to puree and blend ingredients. However, for best results, it is recommended to use a blender or food processor for making purees and sauces.

5. How do I clean and maintain my food chopper?

To clean a food chopper, first remove any excess food particles and then wash with warm, soapy water. Be sure to dry the blade and any other removable parts thoroughly before storing. It is also important to regularly sharpen the blade and replace it if it becomes dull.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jane the PC
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • sburnside
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
jaxsonson
  • mom4angela