• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Older Printer Driver Issues: Can Anyone Help?

many people are not knowledgeable in Vista and call my husband when they can't get programs to run. Many that were on another computer, when trying to transfer to your new computer will not work. If what Julie says is correct, this may be irrelevant. But go to HP.com and look for drivers for it.
chef_kimmo
Gold Member
Just curious for those computer minded folks...

I just got a new computer and went to load the drivers for my printer. It worked just fine when my old computer worked. It is a Photosmart P1000 and the info I get when I try to find it is that HP is not updating the printer drivers for Vista. In red letters the printer "may be older than 7 years" and the drivers won't be updated for Vista.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get a driver for the printer?

TIA
Kim

I have an easy and free answer for your problem. My husband owns a computer business. There are no drivers for printers older than 3 years for Vista. You DO NOT want Vista on your computer. Vista has compatibility problems with many programs. The printer driver is going to be just the start of issues for you. Vista keeps my husband in business. Many people aren't knowledgeable in Vista and call him when they can't get programs to run. Many that were on another computer, when trying to transfer to your new computer will not work. You probably got your computer with Vista installed. Uninstall and put Windows XP or Windows PRO on it. You should be able to reinstall your printer with no problems.

If what Julie says is correct, this may be irrelevant. But go to HP.com and look for drivers for it. They will be a free download.

I have Vista and I love it.

Go to the manufacturer's website and you can probably download the drivers there. I had to dothat for my very old HP InkJet and my brand new HP Laser. Good luck!

If you can get your hands on a copy of Windows XP, that'd be your best bet at this point. But if you have to buy something, you may as well buy a new printer... it's a bummer that HP isn't updating the drivers for that. I just went to the site to double-check that and you're right.On the other hand, I sold printers for years. Inkjet printers don't have the longest lifespan. I always figured the maximum was about five years from my experience... so HP isn't going to pay to develop drivers for older printers because there aren't going to be that many of them left.A new printer is going to have better print quality, too. :)

I seem to struggle when I write things because what I was hoping to say is that the message I got was from the HP website saying they aren't updating the drivers.

I have had to download the drivers for this printer several times since I lost the disk that came with it. I think it has been through a couple computers but it still works fine.

So far, I haven't had an issue with my computer - and it is too late to get Dell to send me the computer without Vista when I already have it. I did ask several people (the IT guys here at work and they said it was operating on their systems fine).

I guess I will have to deal with it.

It may mean a new printer but which I can't wait on too long becuase I need to print receipts, etc. DARN IT!! If I had known this I would have just gotten a new printer when I ordered the computer.

I may try downloading the drivers for same type of printer - mine is a Photosmart P1000 so I may see which driver for a Photosmart they do have for Vista and see if it works. It worked on a computer here at work.

Vista = the devil for IT people... Microsoft was NOT ready to release it when they did.... they don't even have all of their patches and drivers updated, let alone other companies...PS: I Love my Mac! (with Win XP on it through Parallels, only for programs like PP....)

You're better off going to the store and buying a printer anyway than getting one from Dell - you have to get your ink from Dell, too. Seriously - you can't buy it in a store. Staples has some remanufactured Dell cartridges but I don't know how well they work.Buy another HP. They're the best.

Thanks, I will most likely stick with HP. I have always liked the HP printers I have had - I would have had Dell send me an HP if they had it.

I believe someone on here said they were able to get good printers through a copier / fax person at their work. I wish I dealt with them but would feel uncomfortable approaching them now.

jenniferknapp said:
Vista = the devil for IT people... Microsoft was NOT ready to release it when they did.... they don't even have all of their patches and drivers updated, let alone other companies...

PS: I Love my Mac! (with Win XP on it through Parallels, only for programs like PP....)
amen to that! Vista is the absolute pits, too bad I can't afford to buy a new OES and they didn't offer me a choice on which one I wanted when I bought my new computer. I think Microsoft should have to pay to GIVE everyone a copy of an older, more reliable OES to replace this junk!

Related to Older Printer Driver Issues: Can Anyone Help?

1. How can I resolve compatibility issues between my older printer and new operating system?

One solution is to check the manufacturer's website for updated drivers that are compatible with your new operating system. You can also try using a generic printer driver or reaching out to the manufacturer's customer support for assistance.

2. My older printer is not recognized by my computer, what should I do?

First, make sure the printer is properly connected to your computer and turned on. If it is, try uninstalling and reinstalling the printer driver. If the issue persists, it may be due to compatibility issues and you may need to consider upgrading to a newer printer.

3. Can I still use my older printer with a newer operating system?

It is possible, but it depends on the availability of compatible drivers. If the manufacturer does not provide updated drivers, you may need to consider purchasing a newer printer that is compatible with your new operating system.

4. My printer worked fine before, but now it's not printing properly. Is this a driver issue?

It is possible that the issue is caused by a driver problem, especially if you have recently updated your operating system. Try reinstalling the driver or using a generic driver to see if it resolves the issue.

5. I lost the installation disc for my older printer. Can I still find the driver online?

Yes, most manufacturers provide downloadable drivers on their website. You can also try searching for the specific driver on third-party websites, but make sure to only download from a reputable source to avoid any potential malware or compatibility issues.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• flemings99
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • chefann
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
DebbieJ
  • Intrepid_Chef