• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

New Ultimate Mandoline: Bigger Size and Affordable Price at $59.50

In summary, the "New Ultimate Mandoline" seems to be a nice tool, but the carafe is not very practical.
Any recommendations on what I should order to show everyone from the new catalog? I did get the first level from the June sell-a-thon (although it hasnt arrived yet ).

ChefBeckyD said:
Okay - is there anyone who just LOVES the tiles? I am still not sure.....I did see them in the product room, but I think I need to actually have mine here and see if they grow on me or not......I wasn't sure about the stripes at first, but came to really like them....Oh, and yes - I am STILL waiting for the UPS man to bring my free stuff!!:confused: I hope he isn't passed out from heat stroke alongside the road somewhere....(it's soooo hot here today!)

I only have the small tiles bowl and I really like it. I like the tiles pattern better than the striped pattern. It is a taste thing...some people like different things and finally there are simple additions with color that I want to have in my home!

DO NOT LIKE IT! I already had problems with it last night. I decided to make fried green tomatoes. So I went to my garden and grabbed a couple of tomatoes. Medium sized. They were too big for the hole. And you can't cut them in half for that recipe. So I ended up cutting with a knife. What a shame. I grabbed a medium sized onion and it won't fit either. Round solid onion, oblong hole. Same as putting a square peg in a round hole. WON'T WORK! So this means special shopping for the right sized food! AIN'T DOING IT! The last time I bought potatoes in a 5 pound bag, you didn't get to pick the sizes. And if I am going to make homemade potatoe chips, I don't want to cut the potatoes in half so they fit. They don't fry up right if the skin isn't still all the way around them. May as well just use a knife then too. I wouldn't waste my money on something only small foods fit in.
Very disappointed. Especially for the price.

Skeery John! .....I am NOT getting rid of my USG until I try this thing out!

Definatley a good idea.I hope everyone checks it out. I know it is safer, I certainly felt better using it but it won't do what I want to do. I mean really, who slices cherry tomatoes? And do you only use new potatoes for recipes? Those are the sizes that will work.
They substitued versatility in use for saftey and I think they may have goofed. I have it here at work today and everyone who looked at it has the old one. They looked at it in the way they would use it. No one will be buying this new one. They can't use the new one in the way they use the old one even though the new one is safer. That hole is just not big enough. Now if the blade did not retract as it does and could be used without the holder too, then maybe. But I can't see that working without the "sled" to push that blade up.

I can just see a "Tim Taylor" husband that takes the guard/guide thing apart so you can use it with bigger items and only keep the part that pushes the blade up. :p

Think if we all complained by email there might be a revision? Today is my 1 yr anniversary (today) ~ this is my 1st experience with a change for the worse.... I hope they will recognize their error. All the US&G needed was a safety mesh glove! I left a message for test kitchen yesterday and they still have not called me about the mandoline.

I have not tried mine but I did not think I would like it from the get go. I never used the food holder b/c it had to be a certain size. I like the option to be able to just hold my food and watch my fingers.

I did not care for the tiles, but now that I got my sell-a-thon products I really like them. It is one of those things that look better in person than in the magazine. I have the stripe and love them too but the tiles will be more elegant with mor white and just a touch of color if they are being used for showers or something.

Susan!!!! You didn't tell me your anniversary was today!! Happy Anniversary to you!

Oh, by the way, one of the girls I roomed with at conference is pregnant (her first)....hey, it's not mine! :p

Is there anyone that likes the new mandolin? I was just about to order the smaller sample package just to get that and the new cutting board, but now I am rethinking. I did not have the USG before. Should I just skip it?

strasfamily said:
Is there anyone that likes the new mandolin? I was just about to order the smaller sample package just to get that and the new cutting board, but now I am rethinking. I did not have the USG before. Should I just skip it?

Get the old US&G before it retires! That is what I will be saying at ALL of my August shows!

I just spoke with test kitchen, are you ready????

Q: Is there a way to keep the blades up so we can use the mandoline without the oblong holder that doesn't fit MANY foods.

A: No. You will need to cut or select foods that will fit. (Does this mean bring the food holder to the store with us?).

Q: The food is not releasing my cucumbers with the crinkle cutter. What can be done?

A: Cucumbers are one of those softer foods; they recommend potatos, zucchini, squash. (Hey - my most regular use of the US&G is daily cucumbers!!!) Be sure you use fast speed and extend your swipe to the end. I told her I did both and still did not release; but I won't give up will keep trying. I told her that many of us had tried potatoes, and didn't seem to matter what we used, still food did not release from blade.

I suggested the remodel be the OLD US&G with the crinkle cut blade, and the safety features of the new food holder but in the same large round shape. By the way, she said it was larger and they couldn't made the holder larger. I told her the only thing the old retiring model needs is a good steel mesh GLOVE like this http://www.allheartchefs.com/fshandshield.html

I'm discouraged. But - hoping practice will improve it for me. I really do love the crinkle cut blade and think I can sell alot of these noisy things if I can show people how to release the food!

okay ChefBeckyD....you said you took notes about the serving set up at conference....could you give us your highlights? I am not creative at all and always have trouble making my table and serving line look good.

I have never been very impressed with any of our linens so I totally overlooked that we have paper napkins....and they are expensive.....too tacky for me...LOL

okay I am a little pissed, my adjustable blade is already broke! ugh:(
I can fix it myself, but I don't want this to happen to a custumer and have to tell them how to fix it.The levers to push the blade up is not working, HO just got a nasty email from me! We will see what they say!

pamperedalf said:
okay I am a little pissed, my adjustable blade is already broke! ugh:(
I can fix it myself, but I don't want this to happen to a custumer and have to tell them how to fix it.

The levers to push the blade up is not working, HO just got a nasty email from me! We will see what they say!

Amanda that happened the 1st time I tried it - but take the food handler off and put it back again then bring it ALL the way down then up.... good luck.

For those of you who are having problems, I'm sorry. I hope that when I FINALLY get my sell-a-thon products, I will not have as many problems as you. As always, with a new product there will be adjustments needed to be made as well as manufacturing problems to fix. There are only so many people that can test the item before it is sent out to us. Please keep emailing and calling HO with the problems so they can be fixed! At least we could know that it is a possible problem that is being addressed and/or fixed. Amanda - I hope it gets fixed for you very soon!

cmdtrgd said:
For those of you who are having problems, I'm sorry. I hope that when I FINALLY get my sell-a-thon products, I will not have as many problems as you. As always, with a new product there will be adjustments needed to be made as well as manufacturing problems to fix. There are only so many people that can test the item before it is sent out to us. Please keep emailing and calling HO with the problems so they can be fixed! At least we could know that it is a possible problem that is being addressed and/or fixed. Amanda - I hope it gets fixed for you very soon!

Kate, what have they done in the past to fix these sort of product problems? Will they send us new versions or pieces? I felt so bad for the poor PC office test kitchen worker. It worked for her... I wasn't mean, but it must get discouraging when you are so excited about the new products. I'll bet they are just as disappointed as we are.

Susan - I have no idea what they have done in the past. I do know that PC stands behind its products. If there is a major problem with a blade or the guard, they might end up replacing that one part. But, if they don't know about it, they can't fix it.

Honestly? Overall, I am disappointed with the new products. I'm excited about the knives and measuring cup cutting board, but a lot of the other things are just kind of weird. Especially the purple linens. They remind me of something you'd find at a preteen birthday party. I'm worried about how my customers are going to react to everything. My other beef is the catalog. I wish they could have made it more different from the Spring/Summer. Alot of the pages are exact replicas from the current catalog. I understand it costs money to change everything, but I felt like I was looking at the Spring/Summer catalog for a lot of it and think my customers will feel that way too. Ugh! I can only hope for the best.:rolleyes:

Shawnna said:
okay ChefBeckyD....you said you took notes about the serving set up at conference....could you give us your highlights? I am not creative at all and always have trouble making my table and serving line look good.

I have never been very impressed with any of our linens so I totally overlooked that we have paper napkins....and they are expensive.....too tacky for me...LOL

Shawnna - my notes are really bad - I was writing in the dark & trying not to miss anything on stage.....but basically it was this:

Build Height to your table - use 3 tiered stand or other SA - you can use boxes etc... to build height - cover with cloth napkins, placemats etc.....to hide the boxes.
Use your favorite items in innovative ways - lots of great ideas - like taking the new white rectangular SA piece, putting some ribbon thru the handle and using it as a menu board (set it up on an easel) with erasable markers.
(I really liked this, but others didn't - I thought it was a classy touch) Using your napkin rings as rings around candles - bunching several taper candles together and holding them together with a ring, sitting on a small SA plate.
Use your Large SA bowl and Woven Sqaure as a beverage center - Line the Woven square with a cloth napkin or towel, set the bowl in it, fill the bowl with ice and your favorite beverages (wine, soda, juice, etc...)

I think there are pictures posted too - so you can see what the finished tables looked like - there was one "anytime", and one holiday theme.

RachelNguyen said:
Mine was noisy too, until I figured out that there is a groove on the sides of the food holder that fit over the edge of the mandolin. Once I threaded it on properly, it was quiet.

I am going to be sure to share that with people when I demo it! LOL.

R

Please tell us more about the threading!!!

I am keeping my USG!! I ordered the Ultimate Mandoline and am excited to get it, but my main use for my USG is grating cheese. I am NOT going to cut my cheese to fit into the food holder just to get the blade to come up. I am keeping my old one so that I can grate cheese without the food holder!

At conference they did say that was the only blade you didn't need the food holder for, because there is no reason to raise the grater blade.:)

I am getting ready to order my sample supply soon, and it seems that their is a mixed feelings about the new products...... I don't have any of them yet... BUT I do love US&G.... so I am eager to see what the Mandaline is like.

I really don't like the new mandoline. My food keeps getting caught in it and I don't think it is practical for larger foods. I sent an email to the home office and even called, but haven't gotten a resoponse. With the higher price point and lesser quality I really have a hard time recommending it to my customers. If enough of us complain to the home office do you think they will bring back the old one???

Ordering Sample Packages:confused: I have a question.... I just ordered Package C & D. I wanted to order the large package but just could not afford it. (I missed the first level of sell a thon by $200). If I wanted to order the other package later when I get more money, can I do that? I know that you are only able to purchase one of every package. I just did not know if you can purchase the packages in stages. Thanks for the information I get from this site. It has really helped with my business.:) :) :D :D
Jodi

Jodi, I believe we have until Sept. 30th to order. You just cant order Pkg A and then B, C or D b/c they have the same items in them. But you can order E and F and still order A-D until 9/30

thanks for the reply. That really helps.:) :) :) :) :)
Jodi

I haven't used the new mandoline yet, but I am glad that they made it safe to use.
We can all say that we watch our fingers during usage, but the fact is-it cost a lot of money for all the accidents that happen to our customers from cutting their fingers on the old US&G
I am sure after a while, I will get used to it being different. I really like that the blades are in a seperate container.

I love the tiles bowl I got in the sellathon package. the colors are so much nicer than the stripes.
And the eggplant color is a beautiful fall color!

Now I personally love my US&G but I have cut my self before.... so I am eager to use the mandoline to see what it is like......

I finally used it tonight and got the hang of it after a few minutes. You need to have the guard on but you can do a longer vegetable without the handle on it. I like the crinkle blade the best.

I am going to order it as soon as I can .. and add it to my personal PC collection!!!!

It's coming in my sample pack. I can't wait to use it. I have the old one and I'm not fond of it at all. I hope this one is alot better. Of course I'll find out when my sample pack gets here.

I haven't used mine yet but I played with it when I got it today and it seems simple enough. I did think that the blade snapping back down was really loud though. I like that you can take the plunger out and do most of a cucumber without it (it will take a bit of coordination) I was worried that the hopper hole was going to be tiny, but I thought it was an OK size. The whole mandoline was a lot bigger than I pictured, and now I need a drawer just for that! I was going to play with it with some potatoes, but mine are bad!! I'll have to buy some veggies just to try it out!

Jodi'sKitchen said:
:confused: I have a question.... I just ordered Package C & D. I wanted to order the large package but just could not afford it. (I missed the first level of sell a thon by $200). If I wanted to order the other package later when I get more money, can I do that? I know that you are only able to purchase one of every package. I just did not know if you can purchase the packages in stages. Thanks for the information I get from this site. It has really helped with my business.:) :) :D :D
Jodi

Jodi no, per the recent Weekly newsletter you can only order once. But here's an idea.... every time you get a host that reaches 30% off discount, reward yourself with one item ordered on her discount! You'll get 30% off, plus at least 20% commission and the points too. Gives you something to look forward to and motivates you to get those parties sales up.

BethCooks4U said:
I finally used it tonight and got the hang of it after a few minutes. You need to have the guard on but you can do a longer vegetable without the handle on it. I like the crinkle blade the best.

Beth,
how did you do longer veggie on mandoline w/o handle? did yours release?

Cindycooks said:
Well I've touched and felt them (LOL) and I just dont know Linda. I like the bags - you hold them differently. And these are gonna be a PIA to clean - even with the brush. That was my one thing I didnt like about decorating - the greasy crisco icing cleanup! I like to just take off my tip and throw the disposable bags away! No Cleaning! My Rant!

Now all that being said - I will get down off my soap box and say I think these will be fine for simple everyday decorating - writing something, a few little flowers - and fun for children. But not something a "real" cake decorator will buy.

I told my 10 year old after I gave them to him before going to a show to try them out on the cup cakes we made.

He didn't like them - couldn't put the frosting in. I used them today and told him - they are not a "hurry up and do it quick" thing. It is a take your time and do it carefully thing.

Hole is too small - I agree. I know - I can fill up the EAD and fill them that way but that is kind of not the point I think.

I would like to see home office go back to giving the Product Advisory Committee all the new products - and let them test them for real - under secrecy - and work out all the bugs before letting the field get them. They are smart cookies and know the customers and the consultants - so why not!
It was great when they used to do it that way!

Hugs from long time consultant - first time poster.
Senior Director - Barb Wilson

Welcome, Barb! This is a great community!

Great to have you Barb! Your name sounds familiar...who is your Executive Director.FYI, you're not supposed to put your website address in your posts...people get around it by /katejensen:D

You can place more than one order.
its_me_susan said:
Jodi no, per the recent Weekly newsletter you can only order once.

This is what it says in Weekly Bites:

You may submit more than one Sample order through Sept. 30, 2006, but are limited to one of each Package and Open-Stock item. Only one complete set of items may be ordered. For example; if Package A is ordered, Packages B, C and D may not be ordered as they contain the same items.

chefjeanine said:
This is what it says in Weekly Bites:

You may submit more than one Sample order through Sept. 30, 2006, but are limited to one of each Package and Open-Stock item. Only one complete set of items may be ordered. For example; if Package A is ordered, Packages B, C and D may not be ordered as they contain the same items.

My mistake, I read it last night. Someone should call to make sure though. When I called PC I was told clearly you can only order once. Just to make sure you get everything you want at the sample price, just triple check before you put in that order. I will before I order my samples.

Barb ....How long have you lived in Everett ? I lived there as a child.(and also in Lowell) Absolutely beautiful !! I do not have too many memories of the area, I just remember how beautiful it was, and the fresh clean smell (except the paper factory) My grandfather owned a construction company there, until he retired, and moved to Arizona, which was quite awhile ago, but I beleive I still have some relatives in the area.

its_me_susan said:
Beth,
how did you do longer veggie on mandoline w/o handle? did yours release?
Your MUST use the guard but the handle just lifts out of it and you can cut the cucumber or whatever by holding it in the opening then when it gets shorter you just put the handle on to cut the last of it.

Did you also know that the guard is actually 3 pieces - the handle unscrews into 2 parts for easy cleaning?

Beth - I just got thru slicing 2 onions and I have to say I LOVE it so far! This is the first thing I have sliced. They were medium sized onions but they fit right in and sliced so evenly and quickly! Clean up was a breeze - just rinsed under very hot water, a little dish soap. I'm fixing something in the crock-pot. Tonight is the real test when I have to slice cukes and a green pepper.

I know with the US&G I have the worse time trying to find veggies that fit inot the holes of the guard no matter what I do with it... it's frusating but the Madoline sounds pretty easy to use.... so I am reallly excited about it now!!!

Remember that the Mandoline is also dishwasher safe.

Soothenrelax said:
The tiled SA are growing on me, but I like the Stripes much better too. I LOVE the Cranberry SA though.

Well at yesterday BBQ party, I actually cut myself again with my beloved US&G! Thankfully no one noticed that anything was wrong when I asked a guest to do the parmesan cheese for me and went to the house clutching my bleeding thumb hard in my apron ~ or that I returned without an apron on! I actually recruited TWO and everyone there (it was a smaller party) booked a show with my new consultants! But - I am vowing right now to learn to love the new mandoline! Or to see if I can use the food handler with the US&G at my next August show! I think I will but a steel mesh glove for when I use the US&G at home.... I do LOVE it so!

so we got a chance to use the new mandoline last night. totally loved it! yes, one piece was always stuck-but to me that is not a big deal and I had that happen sometimes with my old one too.

I loved having the guard on there and still being able to slice the tomatoes (with the middle piece out)

my only complaint is : what were they thinking making the opening oval instead of round??? LOL

I used it last night for onions and I did have to cut my onion in half for it to fit. I got purple spots all over my hands from cutting it (red onion) but I didn't have a problem getting it to release. I was really excited for this product, but now I am preferring my old one I think!

I had a much better time with the UM slicing shallots than I have with the USG. I'm torn between to slicers!

I am sorry, I have to interject here. I am a director and have a training tomorrow night. I have used the Mandolin this past week, making bread and butter pickles, used the crinkle cut blade, fried potatoes, used the thick/thin blade, sliced beets, carrots, and lemons using in the v-blade - I have Roma tomatoes in my garden and sliced those beautifully with the v-blade as well. I didn't have any problems at all - take it slow, practice and you will love it. I did not have to shop for size or shape, the vegetables were from my garden and purchased by my husband (he does all the shopping). It's new...and just think about it, with any new tool, do you expect to be great at using it the first few times? Yes, for some it will be a challenge, but really, give it a chance. Read the Use and Care booklet that comes with it - are you applying steady pressure to the knob on the food holder? It really works easily if you do it right. As far as potatoes, cutting them in half is the correct way unless they would fit in the holder, you still should slice off and end to make them flat...just works better and we did that with the US&G as well - we cut our carrots into chunks, we cut our tomatoes, potatoes, beets, cukes as well...if you used the food holder. Round small things like radishes, shallots would not need to be cut. I do hope you will all give it a chance. Don't get so frustrated, just take it easy - think positive...you can do it! Sharyn

Sharyn ND said:
I am sorry, I have to interject here. I am a director and have a training tomorrow night. I have used the Mandolin this past week, making bread and butter pickles, used the crinkle cut blade, fried potatoes, used the thick/thin blade, sliced beets, carrots, and lemons using in the v-blade - I have Roma tomatoes in my garden and sliced those beautifully with the v-blade as well. I didn't have any problems at all - take it slow, practice and you will love it. I did not have to shop for size or shape, the vegetables were from my garden and purchased by my husband (he does all the shopping). It's new...and just think about it, with any new tool, do you expect to be great at using it the first few times? Yes, for some it will be a challenge, but really, give it a chance. Read the Use and Care booklet that comes with it - are you applying steady pressure to the knob on the food holder? It really works easily if you do it right. As far as potatoes, cutting them in half is the correct way unless they would fit in the holder, you still should slice off and end to make them flat...just works better and we did that with the US&G as well - we cut our carrots into chunks, we cut our tomatoes, potatoes, beets, cukes as well...if you used the food holder. Round small things like radishes, shallots would not need to be cut. I do hope you will all give it a chance. Don't get so frustrated, just take it easy - think positive...you can do it! Sharyn

I just watched the "Your Season of Success" dvd, and neber thought to stick the food into the food handler (I used to try to pierce the food with the food handler - backwards). I think this will make a difference. After cutting myself again on my beloved US&G, I determined to get used to this (and buy a stteel mesh guard for when I use the US&G, which now will get to stay at home where I want it). lol.

So your crinkle cutter didn't hold onto the food at the end? I need to watch the dvd again - we are supposed to be able to make the slicing thickness of all 3 retractable blades vary for our own purposes. I am still sad that it wasn't "made for cucumbers" per test kitchen. I do LOVE the stand.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Staci
  • nancycookspc
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • flemings99
  • Products and Tips
Replies