• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

New Ultimate Mandoline: Bigger Size and Affordable Price at $59.50

In summary, the "New Ultimate Mandoline" seems to be a nice tool, but the carafe is not very practical.
letscook04
Gold Member
Has anyone used the "New Ultimate Mandoline" yet? It seems a little bigger than the old one. Did you see the price $59.50??

I used mine last night for the first time. I actually liked it better than I thought I would. I had been concerned about the hand gaurd. I really like it though. I used the crinkle blade to do radishes, just fill up the hopper and your good to go. Try it, it is really nice... but I have to say I am most impressed by the new knives!

I absolutely LOVE the whole new line!! Well... except the Carafe and the purple linens (they are very nice but not my color).

Beth, what don't you like about the Carafe?

I was just watching Bobby Flay on the Food Network (I think he has a new show....lighting is weird and he has on WAY too much make-up...okay, whole other story!). Anyhow, he was slicing zuccini longways on a mandoline and NOT using a food holder! I know he's a pro at this stuf....but he's not setting a very good example now is he?

DebbieJ said:
Beth, what don't you like about the Carafe?

I'm not Beth, but I did see the carafe in the New Products Showroom at conference and was not impressed. There's no way I'd spend that kind of money on it. It appears to be plastic that's been dipped in shiney paint. Just my opinion, I'm sure there are people out there who like it.

pamperedlinda said:
I'm not Beth, but I did see the carafe in the New Products Showroom at conference and was not impressed. There's no way I'd spend that kind of money on it. It appears to be plastic that's been dipped in shiney paint. Just my opinion, I'm sure there are people out there who like it.

Hmmm...we have our post-conference cluster meeting tomorrow, so I'll get to see it then. I'll have to check it out.

pamperedlinda said:
That's exactly why I don't like it. People will be upset. They will see it in the catalog and not read. Think it's stainless steel and be upset when they get it.

When I saw it in the product show room I thought WOW!! And then I touched it. I might buy one at half price just so my customers KNOW what they're getting if they order it.

DebbieJ said she will see it tomorrow. I doubt it because the only way you can get it is by ordering it at 50% off. I ordered products and mine aren't coming in until the 1st so unless you guys get your deliveries faster than me those products won't be there. Sorry.

Edit: Oh! I see you are in IL DebbieJ so you probably WILL get to see it!

Thats exactly what I think! Especially in the catalog - it looks like something plastic from Walmart!

I do not like the Decorating Bottles. I learned cake decorating 20 years ago - and hardly ever do it anymore because to be honest, it is too much work...and I am busy! But I can already see the problem we will have with these bottles. The hole on top is WAY too small to put in the icing. Its gonna be a greasy mess! With cake decorating, you have a large bag and you use a big ole spatula and just dump it in. No way will a thick icing go in those bottles and that is what you need to make the little star and flower thingys. Thin icing - ok for the writing tip, but still all the way around, it is gonna be difficult to get the icing in them!

Last edited:
Cindycooks said:
Thats exactly what I think! Especially in the catalog - it looks like something plastic from Walmart!

you have a large bag and you use a big ole spatula and just dump it in. No way will a thick icing go in those bottles and that is what you need to make the little star and flower thingys. Thin icing - ok for the writing tip, but still all the way around, it is gonna be difficult to get the icing in them!

I'm a 'self taught decorator' myself and I was wondering the exact same thing! I already make a huge mess when filling the real icing bags with tips, I can just imagine what I could do with these little thingys. I think the concept on these is good, especially for those who are not 'cake decorators', but I'm curious to actually see, feel, and use them.

Well I've touched and felt them (LOL) and I just dont know Linda. I like the bags - you hold them differently. And these are gonna be a PIA to clean - even with the brush. That was my one thing I didnt like about decorating - the greasy crisco icing cleanup! I like to just take off my tip and throw the disposable bags away! No Cleaning! My Rant!

Now all that being said - I will get down off my soap box and say I think these will be fine for simple everyday decorating - writing something, a few little flowers - and fun for children. But not something a "real" cake decorator will buy.

Kinda bummed about the purple placemats, napkins set. I like purple and all, but not my thing for place settings. I earned the $3000 bracket of products and will be getting it tomorrow. I would really like the cutting board with the measuring cups (didnt get to earn that :( )

Im not too hot on the decorating bottles either. I too, have heard that the new carafe is not worth the price. BUT it is a little bigger than the current one.

If anyone is interested in trading with me, email me direct at [email protected].

I love so many of the new products, but it's my opinion that we will be seeing the carafe, decorating bottles, and the paper napkins in Surprise Boxes someday at conferences to come. LOLI'm with some of the rest of you - I've seen better carafe's at Walmart (cheaper) I'm so surprised that PC is OK with this kind of quality.

lkspeir said:
I love so many of the new products, but it's my opinion that we will be seeing the carafe, decorating bottles, and the paper napkins in Surprise Boxes someday at conferences to come. LOL

I'm with some of the rest of you - I've seen better carafe's at Walmart (cheaper) I'm so surprised that PC is OK with this kind of quality.
and what were they thinking... paper napkins???

and the paper napkins are on back-order - don't you know I cried over that!!!

Cindycooks said:

That's probably because they used so many of them at conference making those buffet table tree things...........

BethCooks4U said:

That was my thought too!

I guess for filling the decorating bottles, you could transfer the icing into a plastic bag, cut a hole in it and then squeeze into the bottle. This is an extra step, but probably less messy than trying to put directly into the bottles.

Jeanie Gay

Dec. BottlesThe Inside Scoop Class I went to suggested taking a ziploc filling with icing, snipping corner off and squeezing into bottle.

They did say you can go to any cake supply store and buy "traditional" decorating tips if you want a different "shape" than they offer, as they made it to work with regular tips. Someone also asked about storing in fridge any left overs, and they didn't know a way to do that without it drying up and someone from the audience spoke up with just what had come into my mind.
Well Duh, if you can use regular tips, then why can't you use the regular stopper or plugs?? And they said, Well you probably could, but we didn't test that in the test kitchen.

Lisa

PS, now I'm not sure I want to order the carafe, I was going to order it from my grandma, but now I'm not sure.

pamperedlinda said:
That's probably because they used so many of them at conference making those buffet table tree things...........

Okay - I laughed out loud with that comment:D You just forgot to include the words "ugly chicken wire"! before the word "buffet"

ChefBeckyD said:
Okay - I laughed out loud with that comment:D You just forgot to include the words "ugly chicken wire"! before the word "buffet"

I was trying to be nice..........but you are so right....talk about tacky!

I did like the idea she had about stacking the simple additions though, such a simple idea....I should have thought about that one!:rolleyes:

The decorating bottles look terrible. I didnt even notice the small opening on top. i was so distracted by how to hold them and all the icing that you would waste getting stuck in the folds. It is a horrible design. AHHHH. and if the tip is to put the icing in a ziplock first and then squeeze it in, why dont you just cut the tip off a ziplock and put a decorator tip in there to begin with? That is waht i usually do to do a quick decorating job. (be sure it is a freezer bag!)

here's what they might be thinking...
BethCooks4U said:

I can think of a reason to have paper napkins...if I was having a large ****tail party or buffet I might be using the table runner and placemats on my table (I do often put a placemat under serving dishes on a buffet, to be honest) and want to have napkins that would coordinate. It's very doubtful that I would have enough fabric napkins (other than white), so the coordinating paper napkins would be nice.

Just my 2 cents...

obviosly some people are unhappy about the decorating bottles but I do have a question, do you think they would be easy to push, my mother in law has done cakes but she has such bad arthritis in her hands that she cant use the bags but she was wondering about the bottles

pamperedlinda said:
I was trying to be nice..........but you are so right....talk about tacky!

I did like the idea she had about stacking the simple additions though, such a simple idea....I should have thought about that one!:rolleyes:

I was totally into the decorating tips for a buffet....even took notes - I loved the idea of the beverage station using the square SA Bowl & Woven Server! I really was interested in all of it, UNTIL the chicken wire made an appearance....I just kept thinking how ugly it looked, and once you take the napkins out - you are left with......ummmm - chicken wire! Other than that though, I thought the table was beautiful!

I think the paper napkins are just silly for a company that pride's themselves on HIGH QUALITY Kitchen products. Perhaps next year they will come out with paper plates and cups to go with the paper napkins.

Ann...you are right! I too would love to have coordinating napkins but I seriously doubt that few but the die hard PC shoppers will buy these napkins. You can buy coordinating napkins at any party or large homegoods store......now what I mean?

I am just so confused about the napkins and the tiles and to be honest the whole PURPLE thing. Makes think way to much that Barney is coming over for dinner...........

Okay - is there anyone who just LOVES the tiles? I am still not sure.....I did see them in the product room, but I think I need to actually have mine here and see if they grow on me or not......I wasn't sure about the stripes at first, but came to really like them....Oh, and yes - I am STILL waiting for the UPS man to bring my free stuff!!:confused: I hope he isn't passed out from heat stroke alongside the road somewhere....(it's soooo hot here today!)

Cindycooks said:
Do you mean I may not have my paper napkins in time for my open house?:eek: Although I wouldn't let people actually use them - way to pricey for that!:rolleyes:

I go tmy new poroducts today- Level 2 plus the package I bought, and I cannot wait to open the boxes, but I am waiting for my sister-in-law to come over to help me- She is having my first September party, and I want her to be EXCITED about the new products, so she can tell all of her friends. I saw the products at conference, so I think opening them with her will bring the excitement back to me also.

Cooking for two & more cookbookI made last night from the new cookbook "cooking for two & more" the chicken with caramelized garlic & sage pg. 13 VERY GOOD!! My only problem was that I tried slicing the garlic cloves on Ultimate Madoline but could not get them to slice. Any tips on using the NEW ULTIMATE MADOLINE???:confused:

letscook04 said:
Has anyone used the "New Ultimate Mandoline" yet? It seems a little bigger than the old one. Did you see the price $59.50??

Ok I have to say that I LOVE most of the new items! The purple didn't excite me until I saw the displayed table at conference and saw how pretty eggplant could look. Really you guys - take a peek at the catalog. It looks nice.

The napkins I'm sure are in response to the Southern Living napkins. If you have a special gathering (or have money to spend - as let's face it a percentage of our customers do have), why wouldn't you want them?

The tiles - are cuter with the center tiles covered up (in my opinion) ~ but I do see that they will grow on me. I like them much better than the stripes. Look again at the table photos from conference.

The carafe... I think the chrome plated carafe is pretty! I think the "caffeine, decaf & water" dial is coooool! I'm going to sell alot of these! Williams Sonoma has one like it for $150 my best friend told me.

Mandoline - ok I am concerned with this one. I used it tonight and it is noisy. And the crinkle cutter blade wouldn;t release my cucumber. I'm waiting to hear back from test kitchens on how to fix that. But, it does feel safer, and sturdy and the stand is cool. I do love my US&G though...

The med SA plates - - awesome! classic!!! no complaints

chef tools - - sooooo nice too!

How many boxes did level 2 receive? I don't see my napkins - wonder if I'm missing a box.

Oh and I AM excited about the decorator set!!!! Can not wait for this heat wave to pass so my kids and I can have some fun! I think the silicone baker thing is so pretty too!

Last edited:
How many boxes did level 2 receive? I don't see my napkins - wonder if I'm missing a box.
Susan - if you are talking about the paper napkins, there was a slip in my box that they are on backorder - I think until early Sept.
Haven't used my mandoline yet - now you've got me worried!
I absolutely LOVE the tiles - much better than the stripes - but then my house is kinda a casual beachy theme and they are perfect, in fact my kitchen is the same green as in the tiles. I am debating whether or not to order the SA Tiles Platter on the samples pack. I already have the Large Square Platter and I am wondering if I would really use it or not....

Cindycooks said:
Susan - if you are talking about the paper napkins, there was a slip in my box that they are on backorder - I think until early Sept.
Haven't used my mandoline yet - now you've got me worried!
I absolutely LOVE the tiles - much better than the stripes - but then my house is kinda a casual beachy theme and they are perfect, in fact my kitchen is the same green as in the tiles. I am debating whether or not to order the SA Tiles Platter on the samples pack. I already have the Large Square Platter and I am wondering if I would really use it or not....

Cindy ~ you know it could be that I need more practice. Today was my first time I used it.

its_me_susan said:
Mandoline - ok I am concerned with this one. I used it tonight and it is noisy. And the crinkle cutter blade wouldn;t release my cucumber. I'm waiting to hear back from test kitchens on how to fix that. But, it does feel safer, and sturdy and the stand is cool. I do love my US&G though...

Glad to hear I'm not the only one! I tried to use the crinkle cutter on potatoes for dinner tonight. I did 4 potatoes and after 3 I switched to the thick/thin blade. NOT one crinkle cut slice fully released from the blade!! I tried fast, slow, nothing worked.

Anyone have any luck?

Susan, just used the mandoline and it wouldn't release my cucumber either changed to the adjustable blade and the thick blade was just the same as the v-shaped blade. The v-shaped blade mangled my tomatoe. I am going to practice some more before I totaly right it off.Right now I don't like it! But I could change my mind!

pamperedalf said:
Susan, just used the mandoline and it wouldn't release my cucumber either changed to the adjustable blade and the thick blade was just the same as the v-shaped blade. The v-shaped blade mangled my tomatoe. I am going to practice some more before I totaly right it off.

Right now I don't like it! But I could change my mind!

All they needed to improve the US&G was to add a crinkle blade, change the hand guard to the new improved you won't slip and slice your thumb model.

I used mine to slice the shallots in the Three Onion Goadt Cheese tart. Nice once I figured it out!

I just got my free items today. I was dying to try the mandolin, and so far, I'm disappointed, but I'm definitely willing to give it another go. I tried slicing an onion and a little part of the onion got stuck in the blade, and the blade wouldn't retract. I had to really play with it to get the onion out, and I was afraid of cutting myself. I did eventually get it out, though. I tried a lime on the adjustable blade and all I got was juice.

Like I said, I'll practice some more. It took me a long time to get the USG to work without shredding the holder!

Diane

P.S. I like the new cookbook - can't wait to try some of the recipes!

I just got my free items today. I was dying to try the mandolin, and so far, I'm disappointed, but I'm definitely willing to give it another go. I tried slicing an onion and a little part of the onion got stuck in the blade, and the blade wouldn't retract. I had to really play with it to get the onion out, and I was afraid of cutting myself. I did eventually get it out, though. I tried a lime on the adjustable blade and all I got was juice.

Like I said, I'll practice some more. It took me a long time to get the USG to work without shredding the holder!

Diane

P.S. I like the new cookbook - can't wait to try some of the recipes!

Glad to hear that other people had problems with the mandolin not releasing foods... tried to cut carrots for dinner last Thu at my director's house and it took forever and was an ugly mess! Nothing I would want to serve to guests! There will definately be lots of practicing with that one! I am in love with the new tools and knives! Also, I am a big fan of the tiles. I was not hugely fond of the stripes (in fact I just bought them after seeing the price increase!), so the tiles make me very, very happy! To each his own right...

I just used the mandoline on zucc. and it worked much better, but is really noisy.I am glad that some people like the tiles, I was afraid I wouldn't sell any! I can't stand them, but I love the stripes. My favorite sa piece is the med. squares dipped in cran.:)

BethCooks4U said:
I absolutely LOVE the whole new line!! Well... except the Carafe and the purple linens (they are very nice but not my color).
Hi Beth:

My all time favorite color is Green with Dark Purple being a close 2nd, but I"m not fond of the purple towels either :(

Cindycooks said:

I do not like the Decorating Bottles. I learned cake decorating 20 years ago - and hardly ever do it anymore because to be honest, it is too much work...and I am busy! But I can already see the problem we will have with these bottles. The hole on top is WAY too small to put in the icing. Its gonna be a greasy mess! With cake decorating, you have a large bag and you use a big ole spatula and just dump it in. No way will a thick icing go in those bottles and that is what you need to make the little star and flower thingys. Thin icing - ok for the writing tip, but still all the way around, it is gonna be difficult to get the icing in them!
I used to decorate cakes with my Mom yrs ago and I figured the bottles would make a good "kids" item to use. Then again, I don't have kids and won't have the messes!!!

ChefBeckyD said:
I was totally into the decorating tips for a buffet....even took notes - I loved the idea of the beverage station using the square SA Bowl & Woven Server! I really was interested in all of it, UNTIL the chicken wire made an appearance....I just kept thinking how ugly it looked, and once you take the napkins out - you are left with......ummmm - chicken wire! Other than that though, I thought the table was beautiful!
any pics of the chicken wire, i almost can visulize it, but usually a picture really helps!

pamperedalf said:
I just used the mandoline on zucc. and it worked much better, but is really noisy.I am glad that some people like the tiles, I was afraid I wouldn't sell any! I can't stand them, but I love the stripes. My favorite sa piece is the med. squares dipped in cran.:)
The tiled SA are growing on me, but I like the Stripes much better too. I LOVE the Cranberry SA though.

Soothenrelax- I didn't go to conference, but I did see a pic somewhere of it. It was chickenwire bent into a cone shape (like a dunce cap) with the napkins in between the wires. Not my thing really, but it is a good idea in theory!

gilliandanielle said:
Soothenrelax- I didn't go to conference, but I did see a pic somewhere of it. It was chickenwire bent into a cone shape (like a dunce cap) with the napkins in between the wires. Not my thing really, but it is a good idea in theory!

Look in the photos area down below - there are pictures down there! Be sure to look at how beautiful the set tables look :)

Received my boxes at about 6:30pm last night (poor UPS man - he looked wiped out - I offered him cold water but he said he just wanted to get done! - heat index was over 100 - like most of the rest of the country!) - I am still playing with everything - but I was totally engrossed in my new cookbook last night! I love it! I'm making the Sauteed Tilapia tonight, and probably something from the cookbook every night this week! My 2 yr old unpacked the mix n masher and silicone tools - and was using them to make "fudge soup" - so cute! I'm so excited now to have my Sneak Peek - just wish I could have the grill pan before then!

pamperedalf said:
I just used the mandoline on zucc. and it worked much better, but is really noisy.

Mine was noisy too, until I figured out that there is a groove on the sides of the food holder that fit over the edge of the mandolin. Once I threaded it on properly, it was quiet.

I am going to be sure to share that with people when I demo it! LOL.

R

Ultamite MandolineI DO NOT LIKE IT! I already had problems with it last night. I decided to make fried green tomatoes. So I went to my garden and grabbed a couple of tomatoes. Medium sized. They were too big for the hole. And you can't cut them in half for that recipe. So I ended up cutting with a knife. What a shame. I grabbed a medium sized onion and it won't fit either. Round solid onion, oblong hole. Same as putting a square peg in a round hole. WON'T WORK! So this means special shopping for the right sized food! AIN'T DOING IT! The last time I bought potatoes in a 5 pound bag, you didn't get to pick the sizes. And if I am going to make homemade potatoe chips, I don't want to cut the potatoes in half so they fit. They don't fry up right if the skin isn't still all the way around them. May as well just use a knife then too. I wouldn't waste my money on something only small foods fit in.
Very disappointed. Especially for the price.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Staci
  • nancycookspc
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • flemings99
  • Products and Tips
Replies