• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

New Kitchen Knives: Quality vs Price

Santoku Knife, 8" Santoku Knife, 10" Santoku Knife, Chef's Knife, Utility Knife, Bread Knife, and Peeler. I think you're going to love the Santuko knife! I think it's a great value for the price.
PampMomof3
Gold Member
Hey everyone! Okay, what are your thoughts on the new knives? I know that they are made in Germany and they are supposed to be along the same lines as Williams Sonoma and Henckel but I feel like I'm going to have a hard time selling them to people. I guess I shouldn't feel that way and we'll see what happens but man, I can barely get people to spend $100 on great cookware, I can't imagine them spending $70 on a knife!!:eek:

You know, I thought the same thing, but I mentioned them to a girl at my show last night and she was drooling. I think she is going to book a show in October just to get one 70% off.

I don't know much about knives, so I don't know if they are a good deal or not. I'm sure we have Cheffers out there already doing the research on it :D

Kristi,

I think more and more of our guests are watching the Food Network and other cooking shows. They know the value of a good knife and I hope they understand that that value comes with a price. No, they won't be for everyone but I'm sure you're going to have some folks who are VERY excited and hopefully that excitement wil be contagious.

(By the way, do you get called Sister Sarducci? :) Am I showing my age? I"m guessing the pronounciation is similar.)

You're right, we'll see when I show them to customers. Don't forget, they're only 60% off!! I would hate for you to pay the other 10% if you don't have to!;)

No, actually I haven't! What do you mean?;) :p

OOPS!!! I didn't mean to say 70%!!!!! I don't even know where that came from :eek: :rolleyes:

:p LOL!! Too funny! I didn't think so but I wanted to let you know!!;) :D

PampMomof3 said:
No, actually I haven't! What do you mean?;) :p

Quick explanation. Saturday Night Live. Brother Sarducci. Kind of a "stoner" priest.

I know someone else out there remembers him.:rolleyes:

I think people will be going nuts over the Santoku. Rachael Ray has a lot of fans, you know.

I had the same worry, about the prices of all the new products and them raising other prices. We will see, I had one person last night spend over 60 and took something off because she spent too much! I really need to boost my sales, and I am afraid the new products won't help!

chefjeanine said:
Quick explanation. Saturday Night Live. Brother Sarducci. Kind of a "stoner" priest.

That's hilarious! I've been with my husband for 12 years this year (we're high school sweethearts;) ) and I'll have to ask him when he gets home from work. What's so funny is that his family is so catholic too!:)

My favorite character was Church Lady. Anyone remember her, or really him?

I think the knives are great and cant wait to get my own! lol I do agree the Santuko knife is something most will want b/c Rachel does have a big audience. I also think its a good selling point.

I also dont think I realized that Oct. will be the Santuko at 60%???

See, my husband really wanted a Santuko knife and we just bought the whole set of Farberware Pro Forged knifes and they have a lifetime limited warranty. Which is: warranted to be free from defects in material and workmanship. Any piece found to be defective under normal use and care will be replaced or repaired at no charge with the same item or of equal or better value.

Anyway, we just went to Bed, Bath and Beyond and bought the Santuko knife for $9.99. Now I'm not saying its the same quality but what are your thoughts on this?:confused:

LOVED the Church Lady. "Well...isn't that special!"

chefjeanine said:

I remember him! LOL Wasn't he on during the time of Gilda Radner? Cause I seem to remember a skit when she was doing her little girl thing and Brother Sarducci was in too.

That was when SNL was good!

Yes, I've showed my age. :D

TinasKitchen said:
I think the knives are great and cant wait to get my own! lol I do agree the Santuko knife is something most will want b/c Rachel does have a big audience. I also think its a good selling point.

The Oct. Host special is any one piece of the new Forged Cutlery at 60% off. The Oct. guest special is the new Bar Board free with $60 purchase.

PampMomof3 said:
Anyway, we just went to Bed, Bath and Beyond and bought the Santuko knife for $9.99. Now I'm not saying its the same quality but what are your thoughts on this?:confused:

I'd have to see the knife but I have never seen the Santuko knife at that price point before! If you have found one of excellent quality at that price I am blown' off my feet:eek: I hope it's good for you!!

Yep
TinasKitchen said:

The October host special is the host can chooe ONE of the new knives for 60% off. The guest special is the new small cutting board with a purchase of $60 or more.

September is New Traditions Stoneware. Host can get ONE piece at 60% off (classic and the new piece not included) and the guests can purchase as much as they want for 20% off. I believe they also don't get the discount on the classic or the new piece. I don't really understand that, but oh well.

I too was blown away when they introduced the new Forged Cutlery. I LOVE THOSE KNIVES! :D I don't think it will be a problem at all to sell them. Most times WE internalize the issue about the price and customers can pick up on this. The issue is the COST...Zig Ziglar says it best: Price is a one time thing and cost is a lifetime thing.

You can buy a similar knife at Bed, Bath & Beyond for $9.99 today, but when that knife dulls, breaks or rusts (or whatever may happen) you'll have to pay that price again. Or you can invest in The Pampered Chef's Santoku Knife and have it for a LIFETIME.

The BIG difference between US and the Department store retailers is that OUR customers can't walk into a Walmart, Target, etc. and ask to try a product out before they buy. You can't open the boxes and whip out an onion or a slab of meat and test the product you want to buy, but with US they can!

Just my thoughts on that.

Have a great one guys!

Mike

Okay I have a small question...are they replacing the other knives in the catalog or are we still going to have the Pampered Chef knives with the sharping case??:confused:

We are keeping the self sharpening knives.

Thank Jennifer. Was wondering about that cause I love my self sharpening knives. LOL

Yeah, but we also kept the Generation II for one season after the Executive came out. I can't help but wonder if they will eventually discontinue them. Hope not!!

Oh, Forgot something...lol

When I look at our products I never see FULL RETAIL prices...My brain automatically sees the 50% off. The idea is to get your customers to book a cooking or catalog show to get their products for FREE or 50% OFF.

"That Pampered Chef Santoku Knife is beautiful isn't it? Wouln't it be great to get it for $35? You can by booking your show today we can slice the price in half."

Mike

I'm excited to actually get mine so I can see how great they are! Since we couldn't touch & feel at conference. I am also a little concerned with the price, but I guess that's when we'll have to promote booking a show! I am most excited about the Santuko--gotta love RRAy;)

"That Pampered Chef Santoku Knife is beautiful isn't it? Wouln't it be great to get it for $35? You can by booking your show today we can slice the price in half."

I love that!! That is great!! I will have to use that at my shows! Especially for my October shows where they will be 60% off!!

Great line, Mike. I'm going to use that. I have a Santoku knife from Wusthoff that I bought 3 years ago. It was $138, and no, Marshall Fields didn't offer it to me for half off ;-). I have to say that it is by far the best knife I have EVER used. The Pampered Chef Santoku looks much more ergonomic - I can't wait to get my hands on it. At $65 cheaper than the Wusthoff, it seems like a great deal to me even at full price! Forged cutlery really is the best, and trust me, you'll know the difference.

Diane

PampMomof3 said:

When you see the PC Santoku you'll realize there is a huge difference in quality! Ours will be a heavier metal will more than likely hold it's edge longer. The one you got for 9.99 will probably be okay for a while, but I bet you'll never get it to sharpen once it starts to dull. It may even begin to rust as I'm sure the metals are of an inferior quality to ours. Ours will have a handle made of top knotch materials too.

My mom bought a Santuko by Wusthoff (sp?) last month and paid over $150 for hers.....I sure wish she had waited a bit longer! Wusthoff and Henkle hardly ever go on sale (if at all) and hosts can get our for 1/2 off ! 60% in October!. I have already booked 2 shows just because people want this one knife!

I have that same knife from BB&B. I told a fellow consulstant about it the other day. I think true "knifer" will not have a proble with it, but your average customer will go get one at $10-20 somewhere before they pay $60-70 fot it. I know I did from personal expereince!!!! I am VERY worried about the prices. I think we could have gotten new products but without the tise in orice. With the cost of gas and everything going up, people just do not have the extra money in my opinion.

back to Saturday Night Live- His name was Father Guido Sarducci. I am showing my age, but it was back in the John Belushi, Bill Murray, Dan Akroyd day .

Okay, I just asked my hubby and he said Yes and smiled really big! He said people use to ask him all the time! Too funny!:D

mrssyvo said:
back to Saturday Night Live- His name was Father Guido Sarducci. I am showing my age, but it was back in the John Belushi, Bill Murray, Dan Akroyd day .
You forgot Jane Curtain!:p :D

I had a recruit interview on Monday and she saw the santuko knife she can interview and said it looks awesome. She said they have a cheaper one that has holes in it and you can tell its not as great quality. I'm actually glad they came out with new cutlery because my husband has been complaining about our knives and that they aren't very sharp and don't cut well.

I went to Kitchen Show Live. One quote Feirale Yen (not sure if I spelled her name right) was "$70 for these bowls? (Stainless Steel). "Yes, but they are worth it. Then she went on to explain the beneifts. I thought this was great. They know the price up front rather then you showing all the benifits and then them asking how much. I know I usually put a dollar amount in my head I think something will cost. I love giving them the price of something expensive but then explaining why it's worth it. She also talked about the Executive Cookware and said, "There is more expensive cookware out there, but you will find our cookware is even better and costs less." What a great idea. Sure there is cheaper out there as well, but you've just told them our cookware is a bargain. After they already think it's a good deal she tells them they can get it at half price just for having a show. Then they think they can't pass up that bargain! No wonder she was the first consultant to sell $1 million!! I'm so glad I had her for my class! I was so lucky!

I've been thinking it all wrong about cheaper items being out there. We need to focus that there are more expensive products out there. Just like many of you mentioned about the knives.

I know I'm going to work on these types of quotes for my shows.

Forgot to mention - I remember those Saturday Night Live days. How about Eddie Murphy (Mr. Rodgers Neighborhood)!

pampchefrhondab said:
, "There is more expensive cookware out there, but you will find our cookware is even better and costs less." What a great idea. Sure there is cheaper out there as well, but you've just told them our cookware is a bargain.

Very well said!:D Thank you for passing that along. I think we all tend to do that and I will have to try that for my next show!:D

I work with a guy who is a trained chef and when he saw the knives, he was like wow those are great prices!

rennea said:
I'd have to see the knife but I have never seen the Santuko knife at that price point before! If you have found one of excellent quality at that price I am blown' off my feet:eek: I hope it's good for you!!

The Wustoff Santuko is $140.

My hubby and I are buying them for our kitchen at work....my staff are going to love them:D

Okay...this thread is cracking me up! It keeps jumping back and forth between Saturday Night Live.....Knives.....Saturday Night Live....Knives. It's like it has a split personality!

I did alot of baby sitting in high school and watched SNL EVERY Saturday night (1980-82) waiting for parents to get home. You forgot the Coneheads!

Oh...and I love the knives too! We get caught up in the price and feel like we have to justify it...remember our quality and warranty speak for themselves!! My sister just said today that she wants a Rachel Ray knife! Guess I'll make her work for it with a catalog show :)

Feriale Yan is awesome. You are so lucky to have seen her show!

okay I agree this thread is a little crazy, I love it! At first I thought I was just having trouble following because it is late and I'm tired!!

I am having a little trouble with the knives. Myself I love them and I can't wait to get them!! But in my area times are tuff, major factories in the are aren't doing very good and the economy has never been great here so I'm a little worried about getting anyone to buy

jenniferlynne said:
Yeah, but we also kept the Generation II for one season after the Executive came out. I can't help but wonder if they will eventually discontinue them. Hope not!!

Maybe you know this by now, but yup, they are discontinued as of August 31st!

Michael Serrano said:
I too was blown away when they introduced the new Forged Cutlery. I LOVE THOSE KNIVES! :D I don't think it will be a problem at all to sell them. Most times WE internalize the issue about the price and customers can pick up on this. The issue is the COST...Zig Ziglar says it best: Price is a one time thing and cost is a lifetime thing.

You can buy a similar knife at Bed, Bath & Beyond for $9.99 today, but when that knife dulls, breaks or rusts (or whatever may happen) you'll have to pay that price again. Or you can invest in The Pampered Chef's Santoku Knife and have it for a LIFETIME.

The BIG difference between US and the Department store retailers is that OUR customers can't walk into a Walmart, Target, etc. and ask to try a product out before they buy. You can't open the boxes and whip out an onion or a slab of meat and test the product you want to buy, but with US they can!

Just my thoughts on that.

Have a great one guys!

Mike

All of that was an AWESOME way to put it all. I think I may even adopt some of your verbage for my shows.... You sold me!!!

I can see a nice tie-in between our discussion on knives and SNL--remember John Belushi's fish-out-of-water character Samurai Warrior?! Now THAT was a knife!

I think there will be some initial sticker shock re the new knives, but if we "educate" our customers about them and help them realize that our prices are bargains compared to other brands, the new knives could become our top sellers.

Glazed Stoneware
jenniferlynne said:
The October host special is the host can chooe ONE of the new knives for 60% off. The guest special is the new small cutting board with a purchase of $60 or more.

September is New Traditions Stoneware. Host can get ONE piece at 60% off (classic and the new piece not included) and the guests can purchase as much as they want for 20% off. I believe they also don't get the discount on the classic or the new piece. I don't really understand that, but oh well.

My "working" theory oh the New Traditions stoneware being the only line on sale in September is that TPC is "herding" our customers towards this line. Notice that they are dropping the Classic Deep Dish Baker from the line. New Traditions has a little higher price point, and is so beautiful. Eventually, I think that all Classic pieces will be dropped, except those that that can't be done in glazed (mini loaf pan, etc.)

Okay - first I have to say that there was never any funnier television than SNL in the late 70's - early 80's - and those of you too young to remember should go rent the dvd's! (chee-bugah, chee-bugah, no coke-pepsi:D )

Now - the knives......I for one am THRILLED to be able to offer PROFESSIONAL knives to guests at about 1/2 the price of those in dept. stores! (and if they host - 1/4 of the price!) I have a set of Wusthoff that I actually keep hidden because I'm so afraid my husband will damage them! Everything that Chef Koetke (and isn't he a cutie?) said about the knives at conference is true! He was excited about them - and he is a renowned Chef who knows knives! REALLY - once you use a great knife (and the ones we have now are good, but not GREAT) you will fall in love with them.
For those of you who weren't at conference, In your change-over kit, you will get an 8 1/2 x11" photo of the knives with a full sheet of selling points that can be used at your shows in your easel folder. (same with the Executive Cookware) They look really nice, and should help alot with selling the knives!

jenniferlynne said:
September is New Traditions Stoneware. Host can get ONE piece at 60% off (classic and the new piece not included) and the guests can purchase as much as they want for 20% off.

I had no idea it was as much as you want! gee I better pay attention!!

New Knives Are Cool!!!I love the new knives. I can't wait to get my hands on them. Or earn them FREE!!! It's so exciting when the new catalog comes out and new products are introduced. I have hosts who constantly tell me that they are waiting to do their 4th or 5th show just because of the new catalog.

Those who cook on a regular basis and yes those that watch the Food Network and are serious about their kitchen utensils (like me) will know that these prices are a steal! Not to mention the great deal they get when they host a show. A lifetime guarantee is the real clincher with my hosts and customers.

No where else will they get such quality and superb workmanship for that price. We are trying to compete with the fancy, expensive companies that have no problem putting out a knife for over $100. We need to be confident in our company and continue to seek out those who are willing to spend big bucks to get great products. (and if you think about it, it's not really big bucks with all the PC deals!)

Those who have a hard time spending $30-50 at a show maybe need to consider hosting a show. Or just sticking to smaller and cheaper priced items in the catalog. I find women all the time who know that if they go to a dept. store they are going to spend well over $200 on good kitchen items.

So GET TO WORK CHEFFERS!!! We have a great new product line for this FALL!! I am so excited!!!
Debbie

P.S. And an update on my PC kid's cooking class for homeschoolers, it's so popular I have to have two classes this semester!!! It's great!!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Kitchen Diva
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Kitchen Diva
Replies