• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Unlock Tax Benefits By Paying Your Kids: A Winning Strategy!

In summary, the conversation discusses the tax benefits of paying children for work and putting the earnings into a Roth IRA in their name. This allows for tax deductions for the parent and tax-free savings for the child, which can be used for education or retirement. The speaker shares their excitement about this strategy and their personal experience with major deductions in their tax return. They also mention the potential for long-term growth for a child's retirement through this method.
fruit76loop
Gold Member
I just have to share this!!!:)

Just got my taxes done today and my accountant was telling me another tax advantage.:balloon:

For those of you who pay your children or who are going to pay your children this year, make sure at the end of the year to make them a W2. I know you are saying what??? But if you make them a W2 they show earned income; thus, they can get a Roth IRA in THEIR name!!!

So you may be saying...so what??

Well this means that you can pay your child to stamp catalogs, make host packets, do show dishes etc. and write off the $$ you pay them AND in turn it is tax free for them and you. With a Roth IRA, after 5 years you can withdraw $$ for Education without being penalized....SO you are basically writing off your child's college education!! WHOO HOOO!

Sorry I was really excited about this and my return amount!!! Major deductions this year....started over 25K and showed a loss!!!:) :D Because of depreciation, computers (2) and desk! I know many of you are surprised I am happy at showing a loss, but I had over $5000 in depreciation & home office expenses and over $6000 in mileage! WOW! :D :love:

Marlene, I just PMd you....

Yes! A Roth IRA is a fantastic idea for kids, and if you have kids who are younger and able to help, the money can sit for a number of years, growing (well, not in THIS economy, but eventually... :) ) for their education or for their retirement. Consider if you paid your 6 year old to stamp catalogs and help with dishes, and then all the earnings went into a Roth IRA. With 60 years to grow, what kind of kick start for a retirement will that kiddo have? I'm waiting for my kids to be old enough to legitimately help - they're 3 and 2 months. I guess I could have them model PC wear... ;)

What are the tax benefits of paying my kids?

Paying your kids can provide several tax benefits, such as reducing your taxable income, taking advantage of lower tax brackets, and shifting income to a lower tax rate. Additionally, your kids may be eligible for certain tax deductions and credits.

How old do my kids have to be to be eligible for this strategy?

Typically, your child must be at least 7 years old to be eligible for this strategy. However, some states may have different age requirements. It's best to consult with a tax professional for specific guidelines.

What types of work can my kids do to earn income?

Your kids can do a variety of tasks to earn income, such as household chores, yard work, or helping with your business. It's important to keep detailed records of the work they do and the amount they are paid to ensure compliance with tax laws.

Do I have to pay my kids the same rate as I would pay an employee?

No, you do not have to pay your kids the same rate as you would pay an employee. The amount you pay should be reasonable and reflect the work they are doing. It's also important to keep in mind any minimum wage laws in your state.

What are the potential risks of using this strategy?

While this strategy can provide tax benefits, there are also potential risks involved. It's important to follow all tax laws and keep detailed records of your kids' work and income. It's also recommended to consult with a tax professional to ensure proper compliance and avoid any potential penalties.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jrstephens
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
sklay723
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • chefmoseley