• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

NetBooks vs. Laptops: Exploring P3 Support

In summary, according to the conversation, a netbook is a good alternative to a laptop for people who want to take their computer to shows. It is affordable, has enough memory to run P3, and is small enough to take with you. However, some people have had problems with the battery life or the cord plugs into the computer.
byrd1956
Gold Member
Does anyone use a net book and how would this be compared to a laptop? Would it be able to support P3? Thanks to all you techie!

HI Robyn,

I have an Asus netbook, that I purchased back in April. I totally love it. At first I was leary of the name because I had never heard of Aus, but come to find out they are the mfgr. of all computer parts for the big names (Dell, Gateway, HP) and they finally decided to manufacture complete units under their name.

I got it when my laptop started running very slow and I wanted to start taking it to shows with me. It has plenty of memory to run P3, it's a little slow, but I can also get online without any problems.

Since I purchased it I've taken it to all of my shows and everything is entered before I leave the hosts house. I have the laptop bag (not sure that's the name of it) from Merrill and I can easily carry all of my catalogs, order forms, pens, etc., and the netbook in the padded section.

Let me know if you have any questions. I highly recommend it!

It depends on the netbook. P3 is a memory hog, and although I could install it, the computer started working weird. Took it off, but I'm thinking about having more memory installed... But my lap top is working fine.Just check to see how much memory is available on your net book--click computer on your start menu. Then try to install p3, and watch the little messages that pop up. If you have enough memory, it is a sweet solution to just carry the little netbook.good luck

I have an Acer Aspire One with a 6 hour battery...love it..take it to shows...am in the living room with it right now! With all the diferent tax codes...it is perfect!

the guy who helped me at Best Buy was actually famillair with P3, I think his mom or someone sold it. He advised me because of the program to get the laptop. The price was the same for a low-end laptop as a netbook. The bonus being the 15" screen.

This is a second computer for us. I use it at shows, if I remember it ;) but it is the computer we let our 4-year-old use. There is NOTHING on that laptop that cannot be replaced. The desktop is our main computer. What I do for a show is do a backup on P3 and transfer it to a memory stick. Then I make sure that I open P3 at home to get any updates it hasn't gotten yet and "restore" P3 to the backup on the memory stick. I backup again when I'm done at the party and "restore" the info onto my desktop.

I have the acer aspire one and my husband actually bought it for me when I joined with PC. I have taken it to every show and use it only for PC. I tend to save all my files on a flashdrive that way I am not taking up more space. My laptop was big and heavy to carry where my netbook is so light in weight and small.

One difference between the netbook and laptop is that the netbook doesn't have a cd drive. I thought that I would miss it but I don't!

Thanks to everyone. I do use my laptop, but there is a problem where the cord plugs into it and sometimes it goes to battery...I have to wiggle the cord or put it is a weird position to get it back on electric current. The tech guy at school said it was not worth the $ to fix because it is inside and hard to get to. I had already replaced the cord thinking that would take care of it (it had bear wires coming out of it!) I figure I will have to replace this someday. I too use a thumb drive to transfer from the laptop to our desktop and fine it convenient to have the laptop at my shows. I just knew the net book was smaller and lighter. It sounds like reviews are mixed....

I have an HP notebook and love it. I don't have a desk top. (Can use my son's if needed). I can take it to shows, meet with recruits, etc. P3 is just a hog on any computer. I have not had any issues. It's very light and fits right into a PC bag.

I am a netbook fan. I have the job to purchase computers at work and some prefer the bigger screen, but I would take the lightweight netbook anytime. You don't get a CDRom which is not a big deal. You get 6 - 8 hours of battery life per charge so no need to be plugged in at shows. My advice is to make sure you have at least a minimum of 3 GB RAM and preferrable now 4GB - you will have no problem running P3.

I have the standard Dell netbook. I use it exclusively at all of my shows so that I don't make mistakes (food tax 5.5% vs product tax of 9.25-9.75%, etc). Tax rates here vary from city to city, so when the computer calculates it for me I know I won't have problems when it comes time to submit. I have never had a problem running P3 and IE and multiple .pdf files at once. The only thing so far it will not run is Powerpoint. I would highly recommend the netbook. Small and light- we already have enough to carry.

What is the difference between a Netbook and a Laptop?

A Netbook is a smaller, more lightweight version of a laptop. It typically has a smaller screen size, less storage space, and less processing power compared to a laptop. Netbooks are designed for basic computing tasks such as web browsing and word processing, while laptops are more versatile and can handle more demanding tasks such as gaming and video editing.

Which one is better for traveling, a Netbook or a Laptop?

This depends on your personal needs and preferences. Netbooks are more compact and lightweight, making them easier to carry around while traveling. However, laptops offer more versatility and can handle a wider range of tasks. If you only need to perform basic tasks while traveling, a Netbook may be a better option. If you need to do more intensive work or activities, a laptop may be a better choice.

Can a Netbook run the same software as a Laptop?

Yes, both Netbooks and laptops run on the same operating systems such as Windows or MacOS, so they can run the same software. However, due to their smaller size and lower processing power, Netbooks may not be able to run more demanding software as smoothly as a laptop.

What are the main advantages of using a Netbook instead of a Laptop?

The main advantages of using a Netbook include its smaller size and weight, longer battery life, and lower cost. Netbooks are also great for basic computing tasks and are more affordable for those on a budget.

Can I upgrade the hardware on a Netbook like I can on a Laptop?

Most Netbooks have limited upgrade options compared to laptops. Due to their smaller size, there may not be enough space to add additional hardware. However, some Netbooks may have upgradeable RAM or storage options. It is best to check the specifications of the specific Netbook model you are interested in to see what upgrade options are available.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• nene960
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
lrice
  • otisbg
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
otisbg
  • ChefCKHall