• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Need Pasta Recipes for 20 Yo Hockey Player

In summary, a hockey player who is allergic to dogs is staying with a family for a few nights. They are providing him with food, a bed, and a place to stay while he waits for his original host to find a solution.
kcjodih
Gold Member
We've just decided on the spur of the moment to be a billet for a hockey player who's here in Ontario playing hockey for our home team but lives in Philadelphia. This is his first year and the original host didn't mention they had a dog and he's highly allergic. A gal I know was telling me that she got a call from her DH who's their trainer asking if they could take him. She agreed to do so for a few nights but doesn't really have the room. They used to do it years ago when they only had one child but now have 4 boys under the age of 11 (two are under 5) and the house is only a 3 bedroom. So he arrived last night at her place and slept on the sofa with a kiddie sleeping bag. He was just grateful for a bed. However, she doesn't have the room, her kids are hellions, and she's very far off from being a good housekeeper if you know what I mean. I did a PC show for her and 1/2 hour before the show the house looked like a cyclone hit it with food,dishes, papers, clothes and wet and dirty diapers everywhere! :yuck:

Anyway, I feel really sorry for this kid so I came home to tell DH and he said we have a spare room. I would feel so bad if my son was in another country and all of a sudden didn't have anywhere to stay for the next 6 months. I would hope someone would help us out if we were in his shoes. So we talked to the kids and we're going to meet with him tomorrow night and if we click we will have a new housemate - a 20 yo hockey player.

So I need ideas on what to feed him. The pay is not great and I'm not even sure it will cover what he eats but we won't know until we get started. We're given $70 a week - $140 a month in a cheque and $140 in a gift card to the local grocers. So $280.

She mentioned that when she had a couple of guys years ago they liked pasta on game night (carbs or something) so if this is the case I'd like some inexpensive but relatively quick recipes for pasta besides spaghetti and lasagna. I work everyday until 4:30 or 5:30 so I have to make it in the morning or the night before and have my DD throw it in the oven. Any ideas or preferably recipes for hockey players? HELP!!! I'm starting to panic here.

Also what else besides pasta can I make him? We just eat on the run alot (sit around the table but it's quick meals like plain chick breasts, potatoes or rice and veggies) etc and I don't want him bored or starving.

Can you name 3 things you would include on your menu for him? Preferable one being pasta based? Pleaseeeeeeeee :) Thanks soooo much for any and all help everyone!

The creamy one pot pasta is cheap and something different from spaghetti.

I would also suggest tacos or burritos - yummy, fast and fairly economical

for a 3rd item I would suggest finding some crock-pot recipes - like roasts, and shredded pork for sandwiches. That way it will be ready when you get home and if you shop on sale, you can get those cuts of meats for fairly reasonable.

ohh... and good luck! I've shown up to a country with no place to live and it is a very stressful situation to be in. Way to go stepping up like that - he will be very thankful! I hope everything clicks for you!

The Microwave White Chicken Chili is great!
You could probably make it ahead the night before and warm it up.
I made it for my dad, his wife, my 2 daughters, and my husband and myself...6 people, and it was almost gone...So you may want to double it...
I bet he eats bigger than my daughters!

I'm sure he'll like the chicken rice, etc that you normally eat.
Don't worry too much. I'm sure he's grateful for all you are doing for him.
And ask him what he likes and enjoys.

My parents took in a foreign exchange student from Rome...My parents were used to me and my sister, so to take in and FEED a Roman Teenage Boy! ....Oh Boy! They were surprised how much he ATE!

LOL

Enjoy the whole experience...You may end up with a "son for life" ...My parents still send Christmas cards to him and he emails and keeps in touch...and this has been since 1991!!

Jodi...you and your DH are sweethearts to step up and say "hey, you can stay here!" and you will be blessed because of it!

It's way too late (or should I say early?) for my brain, so I am not thinking of any menus here...I will try to check in later when I am functioning!! lol

I agree with Nicole on the White Chicken Chili. Serve with elbow macaroni to stretch it and add some carbs. The Creamy One Pot Pasta is also delish, and you can add grilled chicken if you want to add some protein to it.How about something with rice for game day? That's got a bunch of carbs in it, too. you could do a stir-fry or a big pan of fried rice with lots of veggies and some chicken and tofu for protein.My sister and BIL are triathletes, and they also carbo-load before a big event, usually the night before since their events usually start at 7am. :)eek:) They're usually so focused on the event that regular old spaghetti is fine, especially when served with some garlic bread. But you can change it up by using other pastas (like penne or mostaciolli), but still using traditional red sauce. I think you're going to start using a lot of milk, too, since that's got protein in it and is good for players' bones.

Thanks to everyone that replied so far. I'm making a list of your ideas and will start trying them over the next couple of weeks.

Can anyone else share their favorite pasta recipes or what their late teen/young adults like to eat?

Something I made a lot when I was living overseas and was broke - penne pasta, red sauce, some cream cheese, and some cut up sausage - it was really good, cheap, and filling.As dorky as it sounds I love Hamburger Helper! Add a side of veggies and I am a happy camper.There are my suggestions, being in my mid 20s and fairly broke... hth!

As a swimmer, I ate tons of macaroni and cheese and spaghettios! :)Baked potatoes are high in carbs and relatively cheap - feed him those.Rice can be good too...Cream of Wheat for breakfast......just some additional thoughts...

Having a football player/track athlete I can sum it up in 2 words
MASHED POTATOES i used to do 5# a meal he'd eat them for bedtime snack.

this is also a good recipe and can be made ahead of time and baked or put in the crockpotChicken Spaghetti1 pound spaghetti or pasta ( if using uncooked increase broth)
6 slices bacon, chopped
1 can chicken broth
1 chopped onion
2 clove garlic, minced
1 16 ounce can tomatoes, cut up or 1 can rotel (we prefer the hot rotel)
1 10 3/4 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
3 stalks celery
1/2 c. milk
1/2 pound Velveeta (or more to taste)
4 ounces cheddar shredded
2 c cubed cooked chicken
1 10 oz. pkg. frozen peas, thawed
1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheeseIn large saucepan cook bacon, onion, celery, and garlic till bacon is crisp;Add undrained tomatoes, soup, broth and milk. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Add velveeta, shredded American cheese; stir till melted. Stir in cubed chicken, and thawed peas & UNCOOKED spaghetti.
Turn into 2-1/2 qt casserole; top with Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 45 minutes. Makes 8 servings.I never pre cook the spaghetti I also just cook it on the stove until heated or cook in my crockpot adding the pasta during the last 8 -10 minutes
It should be thick

Chicken tetrazzini (I can't remember how to spell it right) :) I can find the recipe if you want. But it's basically spaghetti with chicken and the sauce is cream of mushroom soup-based and uses cheddar cheese. Filling and a nice switch-up from red sauce.

Maybe the Satay Chicken Pasta if he likes peanut butter?? This meal has LOTS of protien and the carbs he may want/need too!!

babywings76 said:
Chicken tetrazzini (I can't remember how to spell it right) :) I can find the recipe if you want. But it's basically spaghetti with chicken and the sauce is cream of mushroom soup-based and uses cheddar cheese. Filling and a nice switch-up from red sauce.

I'd LOVE it if you could find the recipe and share. Otherwise I'll try to google it but I'd rather have a tried and true one from a fellow CS'er.

Thanks to everyone for their recipes and ideas. I'm going to try that recipe Teresa AND all the others shared and see what he/we think.

He's here for his first night tonight and he's SUCH a sweetie. Hopefully I'll be saying the same thing a few months from now. Took his ballcap off when he walked in, was eating his ribs with a steak knife and fork until I said 'it's ribs, go ahead and use your fingers' at which point I got a great big smile and thanks from him (we were already done eating - he didn't arrive until 7). He's also played playstation with my son (his idea not my son's), checked out my daughter's medals and trophies, volunteered to do whatever was needed around the house, and to drive my kids or pick them up anywhere if I need him to (I don't but my kids thought that was AWESOME!) and then high fived and gave my kids a chokehold when they were heading off to bed.

VERY polite and VERY neat. Everything was in the back of his SUV on hangers!!! At least 2 dozen hangers and we just carried it all in that way plus his two small duffle bags.

Oh ya, AND he's a cutie patootie to boot! :D

1. What types of pasta are best for a 20-year-old hockey player's diet?

Whole wheat or protein-enriched pastas are great choices for athletes as they provide sustained energy and important nutrients.

2. Can you recommend any high-protein pasta recipes?

Yes, we have several delicious recipes that incorporate lean protein sources such as chicken, shrimp, or tofu. These can be paired with your choice of pasta for a well-balanced meal.

3. Are there any pasta recipes that are quick and easy to make for busy hockey players?

Absolutely! Our one-pot pasta dishes are perfect for busy athletes. Simply throw all the ingredients into one pot and let it cook, saving you time and cleanup.

4. What are some ways to incorporate vegetables into pasta dishes for a balanced meal?

We have plenty of pasta recipes that feature a variety of vegetables, such as zucchini, bell peppers, and spinach. You can also add your favorite veggies to any pasta dish for added nutrition.

5. Are there any pasta recipes that can be made in bulk for meal prepping?

Yes, our baked pasta dishes are perfect for meal prepping. You can make a large batch and portion it out for easy and nutritious meals throughout the week.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Rossana
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Rossana
  • heat123
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
heat123
  • chefheidi2003