• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Need Best Recipe to Make for Grieving Family

Where is Arden? I'm in New Bern. Arden is just next to Asheville...about 30 minutes from TN or SC either way.
Chefstover2
A past host of mine's mother passed away suddenly and I'd like to provide a meal for them...and, of course, I'm blanking out. I'm guessing she'll be inundated with lasagna.

What suggestions do you have...I'd like to be able to feed a crowd without breaking the bank, if you know what I mean. I'd like to do a PC recipe but am open to non-PC suggestions.:chef:

Thanks!

any of the club or brunch squares would be nice, or a salad in the trifle bowl.

This is a favorite recipe of ours that I posted a few weeks back. I just made if for a friend that had a baby and they loved it. Makes a big pan full!

Where is Arden? I'm in New Bern.

CHICKEN FETTUCINE

3-4 chicken breasts (I use boneless but you can use whatever or any combination of chicken such as breasts or thighs)
1 8oz can sliced mushrooms (drained)
16 oz box spaghetti
1 can cream of celery soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup sour cream
1 small jar pimentos, chopped. No need to drain.
1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

Boil chicken & cut meat into bite size pieces. Boil spaghetti noodles - I save the chicken broth and add more water and boil the noodles in this - gives it more flavor!
Put cooked spaghetti in bottom of 9x13 baking dish. The rectangular baker is perfect for this. Lay chicken over the noodles. Mix mushrooms, soups, sour cream and pimentos. Pour over chicken. Top with cheeses. I use more cheese than it calls for!!!
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. This is wonderful and feeds a crowd. You can leave out the mushrooms and pimentos of course if your crowd is picky but I feel like the pimentos especially give it a unique flavor. I also use the lowfat soups and sour cream and cant tell the difference.

I know it's not a meal, but how about a trifle bowl full of cut fruit? Melon, grapes, apple chunks, etc. That's something people can pick at as they feel like munching.The Greek Chicken Lemon Soup from It's Good For You is a good comforting recipe, too. It also doubles easily, and is easy to reheat.

Chicken Ala Teresa6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (use fresh not frozen)
6 slices swiss cheese (I use the whole Package)
1 can mushroom soup and add at least 1/2 cup wine (more if you need, ha...it just tenderizes the chicken)
1-2 cups of Pepperidge Farm Herb Stuffing mix (I think it's the blue bag)
1 stick melted butterPlace chicken in pan, layer cheese on top, pour mushroom/wine mixture on top
seasoning mix on top and melted butter on top. Cover and bake at 375 for at least 45 minutes. Uncover to "TOAST" the topping a little bit.Serve with Uncle Ben's Wild Rice and a caesar salad

Teresa Lynn said:
Chicken Ala Teresa

6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (use fresh not frozen)
6 slices swiss cheese (I use the whole Package)
1 can mushroom soup and add at least 1/2 cup wine (more if you need, ha...it just tenderizes the chicken)
1-2 cups of Pepperidge Farm Herb Stuffing mix (I think it's the blue bag)
1 stick melted butter

Place chicken in pan, layer cheese on top, pour mushroom/wine mixture on top
seasoning mix on top and melted butter on top. Cover and bake at 375 for at least 45 minutes. Uncover to "TOAST" the topping a little bit.

Serve with Uncle Ben's Wild Rice and a caesar salad

OMG! That's a recipe my aunt invented back when she was a caterer! We call it Chicken Joan! At least I think she made it up. It's my husband's favorite. Thanks for the reminder :)

Cindycooks said:

Arden is just next to Asheville...about 30 minutes from TN or SC either way.

Your recipe sounds great, too! Now I can't decide :rolleyes:

I was going to suggest a soup of some sort , salad, some bread (beer bread if you have it), and some cookies or brownies or fruit. It can stay warm on the stove top for a while, it is warm and comforting (to me at least), and remember it is the thought that counts so anything you bring the family will completely appreciate.

I agree with Ann, something to munch on through out the day goes a long way. When my grandparents passed away (within 45 of days of each other) all the munchies (ham & biscuits, fruit, veggies, sweets etc) were incredibly thoughtful and so needed.

I would get a ham and have it sliced then some deli rolls that way they can just eat when they feel up to it.

One of my good friends had a baby in December and I took her over a few things. A hamburger tater tot casserole (made in a throwaway pan...just needed to throw into the oven. I took it over there in a large ziploc bag already frozen) Ham and Potatoes (same...frozen with directions on how to heat it up) and some frozen corn and frozen green beans. That way, they could use it whenever they wanted to- just pull them out of the freezer!

I was going to suggest taking whatever you bake in a tin throwaway pan too - one less thing for them to have to deal with later. I know when my dad died the worst part for us was having to deliver all those dishes back to the owners - luckily my moms good friend helped out. Here in the south we get so much food!

I know you want to cook but the nicest thing someone did for us was to bring some 2 liter bottles of soda and paper products (plates, napkins, cups and papertowels - toilet paper too), and my uncle brought over a big cooler of ice. It was all a lifesaver.

Cindycooks said:
I know you want to cook but the nicest thing someone did for us was to bring some 2 liter bottles of soda and paper products (plates, napkins, cups and papertowels - toilet paper too), and my uncle brought over a big cooler of ice. It was all a lifesaver.

I agree with Cindy. My uncle died 8 years ago (I wrote 5, then counted back...wow, how time flies) and I was still living at home. One of our neighbors brought toilet paper, papertowels, paper plates, cups, napkins, etc. and it was the biggest life saver. Having all of the paper products for when people came over and not having to worry about running out of things was a complete life saver for my mom. It's now what I take to someone instead of a meal. It's not something people think about, and something when you are grieving and dealing with life after a loss that you don't want to just have to run to the store to pick up. You could do a ham with biscuits (as someone suggested) with a big bag of paper products if you still wanted to take food. Just an idea.

I second the suggestion of sliced meats & bread. Sometimes it is even too much to read reheating directions & turn on the oven and heat something up - but you realize you are starving - so a quick sandwich is a godsend.

We lost our son last April and the best things we had brought over were plates, napkins and such and also a styrofoam cooler full of pop! Also if you are thinking about giving a memorial, we received books of stamps in a few of our cards. It was so nice not have to buy them! Just my thoughts!

When we lost my dad very suddenly 15 months ago the best thing done for us (which I know have sadly done 3 times for friends) is a group of my sisters friends went to my sisters house (this was where we were all going to for the in between time - you know the time in between the afternoon viewing and the evening viewing) and when we walked in they had all the food warm, set up, drinks ready, and served and "pampered" us so we actually ate and regained the energy to go back to the funeral home - they even cleaned everything up and did it for both days and after the funeral! Everyone else brought food, they just made sure it was ready when we needed it - they even gave us the heads up as to time to go freshen your makeup and go back - it was the nicest thing!!! I have done it now myself with friends or my family and every time the family is recieves this treatment is overwelmed with how it really takes alot of stress off them -

I'm not sure how close the host was to you - so it might not be appropriate in the case - but for anyone else, in the future - its such a rewarding feeling - I even mingle with the family and help the think of the happy times with that love one -

We moved into our home a year ago. One of our neighbors greeted us with a fruit basket, made from the grocery store!
It was absolutely wonderful. The food was healthy, ready to eat, and very nutritious, too. Saved me having to shop for fruit for a little while, yet we had some on-hand, too!!
We've had a couple of funerals this last year, and that's what I'm sending now, instead of flowers or food. It made me remember, when my own mother died, my father lost alot of weight, as he was grieving too much to be bothered with preparing alot of food. The fruit would've been great for him, as there's very little prep to get an apple or an orange ready!
We had an elderly couple face this earlier this year. They were married for 67 years, and the wife died. The fruit basket was great for the husband, and I even had them add small, individual pieces of chocolate candy to it, because I knew he loved chocolate. His daughter-in-law told me how nice it was, because he only limits himself to a small piece each day anyway, so it was perfect for him.

Another benefit of a fruit basket is, it doesn't matter so much if anyone's on a special diet! Most of us can still eat fruit! I am diabetic, so especially loved it!!

Best wishes,
Paula

What about one of the new Power Cooking recipes? You could even make all of them and freeze them for them for future use. I just made the Beef Stroganoff tonight, and I have enough leftovers for 6 more meals!! Sorry for your past host's loss and best wishes deciding on the recipe - there have been so many good suggestions (and ideas for helping) already! :) (((HUGS)))!

Cindycooks said:
This is a favorite recipe of ours that I posted a few weeks back. I just made if for a friend that had a baby and they loved it. Makes a big pan full!

CHICKEN FETTUCINE

3-4 chicken breasts (I use boneless but you can use whatever or any combination of chicken such as breasts or thighs)
1 8oz can sliced mushrooms (drained)
16 oz box spaghetti
1 can cream of celery soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup sour cream
1 small jar pimentos, chopped. No need to drain.
1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

Boil chicken & cut meat into bite size pieces. Boil spaghetti noodles - I save the chicken broth and add more water and boil the noodles in this - gives it more flavor!
Put cooked spaghetti in bottom of 9x13 baking dish. The rectangular baker is perfect for this. Lay chicken over the noodles. Mix mushrooms, soups, sour cream and pimentos. Pour over chicken. Top with cheeses. I use more cheese than it calls for!!!
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. This is wonderful and feeds a crowd. You can leave out the mushrooms and pimentos of course if your crowd is picky but I feel like the pimentos especially give it a unique flavor. I also use the lowfat soups and sour cream and cant tell the difference.

Just had to comment that I made this tonight for my family as well as another family. It was awesome, and they enjoyed it as well. We made some home made garlic bread, too.

Thank you - this will definitely be a go-to recipe for me.

Whatever you bring, make sure you bring dessert!!!!!! :)

1. What are some easy and comforting recipes to make for a grieving family?

Some easy and comforting recipes to make for a grieving family include casseroles, soups, and baked dishes. These types of dishes can be easily reheated and provide warmth and comfort during a difficult time.

2. Can you recommend any recipes that are suitable for different dietary restrictions?

Yes, there are many recipes that can accommodate different dietary restrictions. Some options include vegetarian or vegan casseroles, gluten-free soups, and dairy-free baked dishes. You can also reach out to the family and ask if they have any specific dietary needs.

3. Should I bring a dessert as well, or just a main dish?

It is always a nice gesture to bring a dessert as well, especially during a difficult time. Consider bringing something simple like cookies or a fruit salad, as these can be easily shared and enjoyed by the family.

4. How can I ensure the food stays fresh during transportation?

To ensure the food stays fresh during transportation, make sure to use proper containers with tight-fitting lids. You can also wrap the dish in foil or plastic wrap to help keep it warm. If possible, try to transport the food in a cooler to maintain its temperature.

5. Are there any recipes that are particularly popular for comforting a grieving family?

Some popular recipes for comforting a grieving family include chicken and rice casserole, vegetable soup, and lasagna. These dishes are hearty, easy to make, and can be customized to suit different tastes and dietary needs.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• AshleyAllison
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • ChefJWarren
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • kcjodih