• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Need an Affordable Hotel Near Chicago's Outskirts and Train Station?

will not be able to drive into the city. You will waste more time and money trying than if you just took the train.
pckelly
My husband and I are driving from Alabama and wondered if anyone knows of a motel or hotel, that is on the outskirts of Chicago and that is CHEAPER and close to the train station to get into town???:D

Do you intend to stay at that hotel every night and then take the train into the city each day?

Let me tell you, that plan is NOT WORTH IT! It will cause you more frustration and lost sleep.

I live 45 mins away from the city and even I am staying overnight in a conference hotel.

You can certainly find other cheaper options within the downtown area that will be easier to travel to/from.

I cannot afford a conference hotel!! I have to stay on the outskirts to get a cheap one. My husband and son will be with me so I can't exactly share a hotel with anyone. How hard would it be to drive into town with our car?? I am really trying to figure this out. We are going to South Dakota when I leave conference, that is why my family is coming. But 200 dollars hotel rooms are not gonna happen for me. I have to stay in a cheap one and I know the only way to do that is stay further away from the conference center.

I am with Debbie on this one. I did the same thing my first conf. It was HORRIBLE! I really don't recomend it. We stayed somewhere that was supposed to be about 15-20 minutes away and it ended up being at least a 45 minute drive each way. My parents were with me and my son and had to drive me back and forth each time. I wouldn't remomend driving either since parking in Chicago is really really expenisive.

There's a Travelodge right near the Hilton that's about $150/nt. Then you can catch the shuttles from the Hilton to get over to McCormick Place.

Not to mention the "outskirts" of the city where you might find a cheaper hotel are not really neighborhoods where you want to be staying. Not to scare anyone about Chicago--downtown where the conference hotels are is very safe--but trying to find cheaper outlying places can put you in some dicey neighborhoods if you don't know the city.

Thanks everyone. May have to make some sacrifices to stay close.

Kelly, there are most major budget chains in the city. So check Best Western, Comfort Inn, etc. You may be surprised to find a good rate and location. If you need help on locations--figuring out how far is too far, would you be close to the Hilton or Sheraton to catch shuttles, etc, just let me know!

Debbie, how close is the Travelodge to the Hilton?? Do you know?

ShanaSmith said:
I am with Debbie on this one. I did the same thing my first conf. It was HORRIBLE! I really don't recomend it. We stayed somewhere that was supposed to be about 15-20 minutes away and it ended up being at least a 45 minute drive each way. My parents were with me and my son and had to drive me back and forth each time. I wouldn't remomend driving either since parking in Chicago is really really expenisive.
We stayed an hour from Leadership Conference in Atlanta last year (thanks, Travel planners:mad: ) and it was a major pain getting to the conference every day and we missed out on all the breakfasts and early things. Never had time to visit vendors either. That was Atlanta and Chicago is worse.

As far as parking is concerned. I was told it's $40 per night to park at the Hilton. If that is so I will be parking there. I will be in WI before confernce and have looked into taking the train. It would be $21 each way plus a cab from the train station and back plus lugging my stuff all over town plus not really knowing the town (fears). If I don't connect with anyone else I will have to pay the full cab fare plus when I leave I need to go to IA not WI so I would be taking the train in the wrong direction to get my car and then driving those extra miles (gas $$) and hours traveling that could get me to my sister's earlier.

It might be $20-30 cheaper to take that train and cab but it's worth it to me to just drive and park there. JMHO

pckelly said:
Debbie, how close is the Travelodge to the Hilton?? Do you know?

One of my director friends stayed there last year. It's like 2 blocks away. SUPER close!

pckelly said:
How hard would it be to drive into town with our car??

Get that idea out of your head. Chicago will be in high construction season and you do not want to take deal with that headache.

You could look into staying in Indiana and riding the South Shore train in. . .but again you may be staying in areas that aren't all that hot.

http://www.nictd.com/ This is their website you can get an idea of where it stops.

chefjeanine said:
Get that idea out of your head. Chicago will be in high construction season and you do not want to take deal with that headache.

Especially since the Dan Ryan is TOTALLY torn up!!! You will get nowhere fast. :)

I am looking into staying at the Travelodge. My mom gets discounts on hotels so she is gonna see what she can do! Thanks everyone!

DebbieJ said:
Especially since the Dan Ryan is TOTALLY torn up!!! You will get nowhere fast. :)
Okay so according to the map I would be coming in on I94 to I290E/Eisenhower Expy E which becomes W Congress Pkwy and then right onto S Michigan.

Will I have to worry about construction there? I don't know what you call the Dan Ryan.

Thanks

BethCooks4U said:
Okay so according to the map I would be coming in on I94 to I290E/Eisenhower Expy E which becomes W Congress Pkwy and then right onto S Michigan.

Will I have to worry about construction there? I don't know what you call the Dan Ryan.

Thanks

The Dan Ryan is I-94 starting at where it meets up with I-57 south of the city and then all the way into the city.

Where are you coming from? I'm afraid you might have to suffer through it, or route around the city via I-294 (tollroad).

DebbieJ said:
The Dan Ryan is I-94 starting at where it meets up with I-57 south of the city and then all the way into the city.

Where are you coming from? I'm afraid you might have to suffer through it, or route around the city via I-294 (tollroad).
I am coming from WI. Taking I94E. I do think that I get on I294 for a short while taking that route and then turn onto I290E.

Oh, from WI you'll be fine. You won't touch the Dan Ryan at all. :)

DebbieJ said:
Oh, from WI you'll be fine. You won't touch the Dan Ryan at all. :)
Thanks! That's a relief! But I bet when I leave I will need to be concerned - I'll be heading south/west to Iowa.

Another thought is to ask whether some of the cheaper hotels give discounts for AAA, AARP, government discount, Organizational discounts (I ask all the time and am amazed when I am able to get an extra 10 to 30% off.) Just an idea to save a little extra. If you join some Hotel chains frequent quest programs you can sometimes get a discounted rate.

Northwest IndianaI use to live in Highland and I would jump on the Dan Ryan or the Expressway (I-94) to Chicago and be there in twenty minutes. That is not the case these days with all the construction though, it could be 45 minutes or two hours. I suggest staying in Highland or Hammond, Highland is a way safe area and take the southshore train to Chicago. I will be staying at my moms house and taking the southshore everyday. It is not bad and saves a lot of money on gas and headaches from traffic. Let me know if you need any other information.

BethCooks4U said:
Thanks! That's a relief! But I bet when I leave I will need to be concerned - I'll be heading south/west to Iowa.

IIRC -- last year we flew into midway airport into chicago and then drove to the Quad Cities in Iowa and we didn't touch the Dan Ryan at all. We took 55 to 80 and that was quite simple. :)

hope that helps and have fun in Iowa!! :/

Don't worry about the extra expense. Just think...if you have a couple of extra shows, you'll pay for it! Do a $1000 mystery show and tell people you are try to "raise" money for conference. I agree with everyone. It's stressful enough (not in a bad way though) to get back and forth on the very easy shuttles! Long days and lots of walking. It's nice to get on a shuttle and relax for awhile knowing you'll be where you need to be. Good luck!

DebbieJ said:
Kelly, there are most major budget chains in the city. So check Best Western, Comfort Inn, etc. You may be surprised to find a good rate and location. If you need help on locations--figuring out how far is too far, would you be close to the Hilton or Sheraton to catch shuttles, etc, just let me know!

I just spoke with someone that stayed at the Best Western this week. I believe it was near the Art Center and Miracle Mile. It would mean taking a Taxi to a conference hotel. But, it was clean, they had a continental breakfast (Coffee and fruit) and FREE Parking. That is a HUGE DEAL. We pay about $35 a day for parking. I think she paid $104 or so. Try expedia or travelocity.

Kelly, What if your family dropped you off and you stay at a Conference Hotel sharing a room with other consultants. They could go outside of Chicago and stay someplace cheaper while you were at conference, then either come pick you up or you hitch a ride there. ;) J/K about the hitching. Anyway, partial room may be cheaper then maybe they can find something pretty cheap too.

Just a thought.

Thanks, I think we are going to stay at the Travelodge. My mom is going to see what she can do, she gets discounts on all kinds of hotels. They travel a good part of the year. We'll see. But thanks for the advice.

Nevermind! Staying at the Best Western!!!!! LOL

Glad it worked out.

1. What are the best hotels on the outskirts of Chicago?

Some of the best hotels on the outskirts of Chicago include the Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, the Hilton Chicago O'Hare Airport, and the Hyatt Place Chicago-Schaumburg. These hotels offer comfortable accommodations and convenient locations for exploring the surrounding areas.

2. Are there any budget-friendly hotels on the outskirts of Chicago?

Yes, there are several budget-friendly hotels on the outskirts of Chicago such as the Red Roof Inn Chicago-O'Hare Airport/Arlington Heights and the Comfort Inn Arlington Heights - Chicago. These hotels offer affordable rates without sacrificing comfort and convenience.

3. How far are the hotels on the outskirts of Chicago from the city center?

The distance between the outskirts of Chicago and the city center can vary depending on the specific location of the hotel. However, on average, the outskirts are about 20-30 minutes away from downtown Chicago by car or public transportation.

4. Do the hotels on the outskirts of Chicago offer shuttle services to and from the airport?

Many of the hotels on the outskirts of Chicago do offer shuttle services to and from the airport. It is recommended to check with the specific hotel beforehand to confirm their shuttle schedule and if there is an additional fee for this service.

5. Are there any attractions or activities near the hotels on the outskirts of Chicago?

Yes, there are plenty of attractions and activities near the hotels on the outskirts of Chicago. These can include shopping malls, restaurants, parks, and even popular tourist destinations such as Six Flags Great America and the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center. It is best to research the specific location of the hotel to see what attractions are nearby.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• SpiritdancerIA
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
gaddischef
  • sandilou
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
gaddischef
Replies