• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Navigating Food Allergies with a Picky Eater

In summary, Ash saw an allergist this week and it was determined she isn't allergic to anything. But, since food allergies are harder to determine, we are to take all corn products away for a week then make her binge then the following week peanuts and binge).
Teresa Lynn
Gold Member
Ash saw an allergist this week and it was determined she isn't allergic to anything. But, since food allergies are harder to determine we are to take all corn products away for a week then make her binge then the
following week peanuts and binge).

I have been sick the past week with headache, sore throat, earache and a sinus infection.
Today was the first chance we had to take her grocery shopping (she isn't real picky but does have lies and dislikes). 1/2 way thru the store I ended up going to the car, I have a show today and 2 more this week.

Nearly every food she picked up had corn or by products.

I don't cook with many of boxed/convenience foods but everything seemed to be off limits.
does anyone else have a family member with a corn allergy and what do you all eat/cook. I don't mind the extra work of reading labels but today didn't have the energy.

Spent over $100 just on food she can eat but only really have enough for 3 meals (what do you all send in their lunches) she packs her lunch and the deli meats have modified corn starch.!!!

she's very discouraged right now and I'm trying to tell her we will all make the lifestyle switch if it is the source of her headaches but don't want her feeling deprived either.

Yikes, I never would have thought to look in the deli meat! Poor kid. How old is she?

she'll be 16 in May

Good luck avoiding corn and corn byproducts, it's in everything, including the moonshine they force us to put in our gas tanks.

We have a four year old daughter that is allergic to dairy, soy, nuts, shellfish, and we have also just had to eliminate all wheat from her diet, so I can understand EXACTLY what you are going through. Corn is in almost everything, just like my daughter's lists of NO-NOs- you learn to look for simple foods and simple ingredients- you'll find the foods in the organic sections since healthier foods don't usually have all the additives and by products that involve corn.

We cook our own foods and bring w/ us to restaurants- my daughter eats hard boiled eggs, chicken (I roast 2 at a time and use the meat for her meals), and ground beef as her sources of protein. We have gluten-free pastas, cakes, and breads and use rice milk instead of cow's milk to prepare them. She loves rice, too- it's not easy, but you will learn how to live with it- our daughter's health is so much better now as well as her behavior!!

Feel free to email me off boards for support/help or questions- [email protected]

Good luck!

1. How can I get my child to try new foods if they have food allergies?

One strategy is to involve them in the process of choosing and preparing new foods. This can help them feel more in control and less anxious about trying something new. It can also be helpful to introduce new foods slowly and in small portions.

2. What should I do if my child refuses to eat anything I offer them?

If your child is refusing to eat anything, it's important to first rule out any underlying medical issues. If they are simply being picky, try to offer them a variety of options that cater to their food allergies. This can include substitutions or alternative recipes that still offer the same nutrients.

3. How do I handle situations where my child is offered food that they are allergic to?

It's important to educate your child about their food allergies and how to advocate for themselves. Teach them to politely decline any food they are allergic to and have a plan in place for what to do if they accidentally eat something they shouldn't. It can also be helpful to communicate with caregivers and teachers about your child's allergies.

4. Is it safe to try new foods at restaurants or should we stick to cooking at home?

It's always best to err on the side of caution when it comes to food allergies. If your child has severe allergies, it may be best to stick to cooking at home where you have more control over the ingredients. However, if you do choose to eat out, make sure to communicate your child's allergies to the staff and ask about their accommodations for food allergies.

5. How can I make sure my child is still getting all the necessary nutrients if they have multiple food allergies?

If your child has multiple food allergies, it's important to work closely with a healthcare professional to develop a balanced and safe meal plan. There are also many resources and support groups available for parents of children with food allergies, which can provide helpful tips and advice for meeting your child's nutritional needs.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
DebPC
  • ChefJoyJ
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
peichef
Replies