• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Navigating College Life: Commuting vs. On-Campus Living for Students and Grads

interesting. I would say it is best to live with people you know and are comfortable with, but it is definitely doable. I think it is important to be open to the idea and be willing to make some connections.
chefbritt
Okay, so I know Chef Success isn't overflowing with college students, but this is the only forum I visit, so I'm asking here for advice. I'm currently a junior in college, and I commute. I started out living on campus. I had a serious boyfriend of several years at the time, and so I only spent three nights a week on campus, and came home to see him the rest of the time. We ended up getting engaged, and I started commuting the next year. Well, unfortunately things didn't work out, and we are no longer together. I transfered to a closer university, and have been living with my sister and commuting. However I feel like I cheated myself out of the college experience. A part of me is considering trying to get into housing for next semester, so that I can at least give it a shot. But I have a couple potential issues. One is that there is a housing shortage so I may not get in. But the bigger one is that I would be moving on campus as either a second semester junior or my senior year. Do you think it would be hard to meet people when everyone else already has friends and is settled in to life there? I figure most upperclassmen pick their roommates after the first year, so I would end up paired with a freshman in a freshman dorm, not meeting people my age. I'm interested to hear if any of you had this experience or know someone who did, and what you think it would be like. I'm very torn on what I want to do. I'm also a shy, introverted person who has a hard time meeting people, so I'm worried about how it would turn out. A part of me says to keep commuting, but I don't want to take that route just because it's the safe one and miss out on important experiences. Any opinions?

I know that at my school there is always posters up looking for roommates...have you thought about this? Moving in with someone that you do not know could go either way. I would meet with them first and make sure that your door has a lock so that no one can get in when you are gone.

I would look into sharing an apartment/house vs living in the dorms.

This is my 2nd time around at school and the 1st time I lived on campus and I LOVED it...well that is part of the reason I'm on my 2nd time around and that is another story...but I did have a lot of fun :D

No way, not at all! I think that you need to have that on-campus experience! I ended up cheating myself of it, and I am kicking myself from that....off-campus just isn't the same. (I transferred out, then when I transferred back in, there wasn't any housing on campus left) .... but my first semester was the best by far. When I was readmitted, all of those friends had their new friends, so I met some people and got an apartment off campus. It was SO hard to meet people though....so I say at least give it a try. If there is a shortage and you don't get in, then at least you can't kick yourself in the future for not trying! (I just graduated in May 2005, and I still work at that college FT now....so I feel like I am still IN college! haha)Good luck!!

Check with the admissions office to see if there are any other transfer students who may need roommates.
LOVED living on campus!

I graduated in 2005 and I lived on campus my entire time. I LOVED it!!! I wouldn't trade it for the world! One of the things I noticed is most of my friends lived on campus, and those that did were more involved on campus. I ended making my closest friends through the organizations I spent the most amount of time with. Are there any student organizations you could join? I know at TCU I was a member of Alpha Phi Omega, a community service co-ed fraternity, and we had people join no matter what year they were. There was an instant set of friends! Also, I was very involved with student government as were most of my close friends and people joined committies at all points in their career. That is a great way to meet people and positively impact your school.

As far as random roommates, I lived in an on-campus apartment and I was randomly placed with people when I moved in (I studied abroad in the fall and moved in the apt in the spring) and it was a great way to meet new people. I would at least try to move on campus if possible, some great memories come from the dorms!

Speaking of studying abroad, I would totally recommend that as a way to meet people. I lived in London for a semester and it was a smaller semester so the 12 of us bonded instantly! I still talk to those people and had an entire new set of friends upon returning to campus. Maybe there is a summer program you could do that could count for some credits that you need and provide you an amazing experience with some new friends (even if you have to take student loans to do this, I totally would! Studying abroad changed my life!)

Good luck in whatever happens!

Ok, I'm opposite Jennifer - I commuted my WHOLE college career. I don't feel like I missed a thing! I would never go back and do it over and live on campus. I still met people and had fun. So, I missed a few parties, who cares? I don't drink anyway. I was able to get good grades and have time to hang out with my friends because I got my homework done each night.

You're an adult aren't you (rhetorical question)? Then you can meet people at school still and other places. I think if you WANT to live on campus, look for your own apt. - you'll be much happier with the freedom than being stuck with "whoever" in the dorms. It's not like you're 3-4 years old and need to learn to interact with people - you already know.

I guess, only YOU know YOU and whether or not you NEED to live on campus. It depends on you and your personality.

You should definately try living on campus. You will probably always regret not trying it if you let your chance go by. There is much more to campus life than drinking and parties-friendships can grow much deeper with people you live with. As for random roommates-we used to call it pot luck- I did that my sophomore year and made a great new friend. Also, at my school at least, juniors wouldn't be put in freshman dorms from lack of a roommate-you would get placed with a transfer student or someone else "going potluck" in a dorm of your choice. Go for it-if it is horrible you will have satisfied your curiosity and you can do something different next semester.

Ok, I lived in a dorm my freshman year - hated it, but wouldn't change it. I would not have chosen to live on campus my Sr. year for many reasons:
1. You will have to deal with immature freshman:yuck:
2. My college was a dry campus at all times other than football game days (SEC school - we live and breathe football in the south!)
3.I would have missed the freedom an apartment afforded me (I always had roommates, but could do whatever and have whoever over at anytime)

I would have considered living on campus if I could have been an Resident Advisor or the Dorm Advisor...I would make sure I had a good friend who had an apartment so I could take refuge from the freshman:D

Bottom line, living in the dorm any other year than my freshman year wouldn't have been my choice, but I'm not you. The grass is always greener on the other side...you're still young so either way you have the rest of your life, but only 1 college experience!

I wish I were more help - I sound so wishy-washy! Sorry!:confused:

1. What type of products do you offer for college students or grads?

Pampered Chef offers a wide range of kitchen tools and gadgets that are perfect for college students or recent graduates. Some popular products include our microwave pasta cooker, mini chopper, and microwave egg cooker.

2. Are your products budget-friendly for college students?

Yes, our products are designed to fit a variety of budgets. We have options for every price range, from affordable basics to more advanced tools. Plus, our products are built to last, so they are a great investment for college students or grads.

3. Can I use my financial aid or student discount to purchase Pampered Chef products?

While we do not offer specific discounts for college students or grads, we do occasionally have promotions or sales that anyone can take advantage of. Additionally, our products are covered by our satisfaction guarantee, so you can feel confident in your purchase.

4. Do you have any recipes specifically for college students or grads?

Yes, we have a variety of budget-friendly and easy-to-make recipes that are perfect for college students or recent graduates. Our website and blog feature a collection of recipes that can be made with minimal ingredients and kitchen tools.

5. How can I host a Pampered Chef party as a college student or grad?

Hosting a Pampered Chef party is a great way for college students or grads to earn free products and discounts. You can host a virtual party with your friends and family, or reach out to your local Pampered Chef consultant to see if they offer any in-person events. Additionally, our consultants can also help you set up a registry if you are moving into a new dorm or apartment.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
  • yummybytes
  • General Chat
Replies