1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: MW Molten Lava Cake question

1. Ann F

Ann F Advanced Member Gold Member

Hi,
    I tried the molten lava cake for the first time. I wasn't sure if I needed to have the rice cooker lid on or not, so I put it on with just one side latched.

Since it was just for me, I left it in the cooker. At shows, can it be turned out onto a plate?

Thanks.

Jun 6, 2009
  2. PamperedchefDaly

PamperedchefDaly Member Gold Member

Yes, it should be turned out on a plate, so you can get the effect of the lava oozing down the sides. The large SA platter works well. Then take one of our scrapers (such as the Master Scraper) and scrape out every last bit of frosting. If you want, you can grate some chocolate over the cake using the microplane grater.

Very important
    -- make sure that you invert the SA platter over the RC, get a good grip on the both the platter and RC handles and turn them over together. Slowly lift up the RC and listen to "oohs" and "aahs" as the melted chocolate flows over the cake. You may want to try this at home first! Oh, and chocolate cake with chocolate frosting works the best. Vanilla isn't pretty!

3. KellyRedHead

KellyRedHead Advanced Member

How long do you need to cook it?? And do you need to turn it if it is not is a microwave with a turn table?

Thanks!

Kelly V.:chef:

Jun 6, 2009
  4. laurichef

laurichef Member Gold Member

Every microwave is different, but I start at 10 minutes. Add another minute when you stick a scraper down the side, and it is still batter on the bottom -- the top will look cooked. I have never done it w/o a turntable, so you would have to experiment.
    Enjoy!

Jun 6, 2009
  5. Ann F

Thanks so much, Nancy!

I did NOT have a turntable and it seemed to be fine.

Jun 6, 2009
  6. smspamperedchef

smspamperedchef Veteran Member Silver Member

Have you tried this in the DCB yet? I sell tons of them this way with just demonstrating the cake in it! Much higher priced item!

7. Ann F

Tell me more about it, Sharon.

Jun 7, 2009
  8. gailz2

gailz2 Senior Member Gold Member

When I made my first one in the RCP I used an electric mixer -- don't do this -- it adds too much air and my cake erupted before I took it out of the microwave. They normally don't erupt till you turn them upside down on the platter. LOL. I sell this as something people can make in their office at work.

Jun 7, 2009
  9. smspamperedchef

smspamperedchef Veteran Member Silver Member

OH MY GOSH!!! This is the BEST thing!

Just take a regular Devil's Food cake mix and mix it up accoding to the package diections. Pur it into your DCB (no need to grease it) Then take some chocolate can frosting and using your small stainless scoop drop spoonfuls directly onto the batter. Pop the lid on and micro for 10 min.
    The cake cooks all the way through, the icing melts through the cake and when you slice into it the lava is all there on the bottom. No need to dump the cake out (too messy) Just serve it with a spoon and serve with vanilla ice cream! HEAVEN!!! Sells those $69 Bakers!!!

By the way, try variations too! Coconut cake with cream cheese icing AWESOME! Garnish with toasted almonds and toasted coconut and a fanned strawberry.

10. PamperedchefDaly

PamperedchefDaly Member Gold Member

You can always use the pocket thermometer. If it reads 160 degrees, it's done. (It's an easy way to sell demo the thermometer, too)

11. cwinter474

cwinter474 Veteran Member Gold Member

Love the idea of the higher priced demo, but do you get the same WOW affect by not turning it over?

Jun 8, 2009
  12. esavvymom

esavvymom Legend Member Staff Member

I would think people would be 'wow'ed by the simple fact that you cooked a cake in the microwave in under 15 minutes! That fact is what sells the item you bake it in....be it the RC, DCB, or the Stone Fluted pans. I don't have a RC, but I do mine in the Fluted- so you get the 'wow', the quickness, and a really pretty shaped cake too! :D My cooking shows are just now starting to take off...so I'm hoping to do DCB main recipes, and for those that have enough guests (like 10-12 or more) I'll do a quick cake in the fluted pan (or cookware later in the summer to push August special). If I'm not doing a DCB recipe, then I'd use my DCB for the cake.

Jun 8, 2009
Have something to add?