• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Mojito Torte ... W/Rum Extract?

In summary, the recipe was good, but the mint was very overpowering. If you only use a teaspoon of extract, it would be ok, but a half a cup is a lot to try and use something that is not real. There are small bottles of rum available in liquor store so you don't have a lot to worry about.
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
I was looking at this recipe and I don't have rum ... and I'm not going to buy a whole bottle of rum just for a 1/2 a cup ... so I was thinking of using rum extract instead. Anyone know how this will work?

Also ... I personally think the mint would be gross ... so I was thinking of leaving it out.

Yes the mint was very over powering in this recipe. I bought the small single serving bottles at the store when I made this recipe.

If it were only a teaspoon, extract would be ok. But a half a cup is a lot to try and use something that is not real. There are small bottles of rum available in liquor store so you don't have a lot. As for the mint, just reduce the amount by half. Mint is a defining characteristic of a Mojito, otherwise it's just a lime torte :chef:

I love this recipe it is worth buying a small bottle of dark rum. I took it to all my shows last Feb. when the pans were on special. Just be carefull with the mint do not over measure for sure. This is a great refreshing summer recipe.

I love this recipe, and I used the extract and the mint. It was great!

I used the extract and the mint

The RUM extract or the mint? I was thinking of using rum extract and the water ... is that possible? I'm more worried about the glaze.

And I really don't see the sense in getting a whole thing of mint extract that I will use just once.

Do you have peppermint extract? I actually made it with Peppermint b/c I didn't have Mint- but just a few drops. It tasted amazing. I'll try to find my review for the specifics.Update: Found what I did:
......, but I just made the cake, and I too found out after I started that I only had Peppermint extract, when I thought I had mint. I didn't realize there was a difference either. My neighbor didn't have any, and I didn't want to go to the store just for mint extract, so I substituted just 1/8 tsp of Peppermint extract for the 1/2 tsp Mint extract. I didn't notice any strong peppermint flavor and it was quite delicious (the filling...haven't eaten the whole cake yet). I was licking the bowl/spoons and loving it! Now, I don't know if the peppermint extract made any change and if I could have just left it out, but I thought it was very delicious and the lime flavor was so good! So if you DO use Peppermint- I would try 1/8 tsp.

I don't have ANY KIND of mint extract and can't see buying it for such a small amount.

It doesn't matter ... sounds like this is not a recipe for me. Just looked at my bottle of rum extract and noticed that 1.5 tsp. = 1 tbs. of DARK rum. So it would take like the whole bottle! I think I'm going to make the pineapple cake instead, even though I don't have the wedger. Will just tell my cluster that they really should borrow a wedger so they could show it off b/c using canned pineapple shows people how to avoid using our tools.

I understand your logic about the cake, but hope you decide to try it some time it is really yummy.
Ps: Use alittle less mint

Di_Can_Cook said:
The RUM extract or the mint? I was thinking of using rum extract and the water ... is that possible? I'm more worried about the glaze.

And I really don't see the sense in getting a whole thing of mint extract that I will use just once.

MMmmmm, use that mint extract to make After Dinner Mint Triangles! I'm on something like my 3rd or 4th bottle of mint extract because I have so many requests from DS, DH, and others to make those. So Good!

I've made this recipe several times and just followed the cook's tip at the end about using rum extract - 1 tsp rum extract added when you prepare the cake and 1/2 tsp rum extract with 2 tbsp water for the glaze. Always got raves!!

newtopamperedchef said:
I've made this recipe several times and just followed the cook's tip at the end about using rum extract - 1 tsp rum extract added when you prepare the cake and 1/2 tsp rum extract with 2 tbsp water for the glaze. Always got raves!!

That's what I was thinking! Why reinvent the wheel when it's right on the page for you.

newtopamperedchef said:

I noticed that in the new SB, that Cook's Tip is gone! I wonder if that was what caused the confusion in the first place?

To substitute rum extract for the rum, prepare cake mix according to package directions, adding 1 tsp rum extract. For glaze, use 1/2 tsp rum extract with 2 tbsp water; combine with powdered sugar as directed.

1. What ingredients do I need for the Mojito Torte?

The Mojito Torte requires a package of white cake mix, eggs, vegetable oil, water, rum extract, lime zest, and fresh mint leaves.

2. How much rum extract should I use?

You will need 2 teaspoons of rum extract for the Mojito Torte.

3. Can I use a different type of extract instead of rum extract?

Yes, you can substitute rum extract for any other type of extract, such as vanilla or almond, depending on your preference.

4. How do I decorate the Mojito Torte?

You can decorate the Mojito Torte with whipped cream, lime slices, and additional fresh mint leaves for a festive touch.

5. Can I make this torte in advance?

Yes, you can make the Mojito Torte in advance and store it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days before serving. Just be sure to cover it with plastic wrap to keep it fresh.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• shelly.nurse
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • babywings76
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies