• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Mix & Pour Italian Dressing: Is it Normal For It To Solidify?

In summary, when the olive oil solidifies in the fridge, it is because the fat molecules are heavier than room temperature. This solidification does no harm, and the olive oil will reliquify when warmed.
beepampered
I've tried the Mix and Pour Italian dressing for the first time. Put in the fridge and solidified! It became fluid at room temperature but I couldn't use it for a while. I used Olive Oil. Any thoughts on if this always happens? YUCK!

You can't refridgerate olive oil.....I use canola for my dressings.

Huh! I never knew! I made that once and it was pretty good, but I didn't try saving the leftovers...good to know, good to know.

When this happens to mine I just put the whole container in the microwave for about 30 seconds.

What is the difference in olive and canola oil that you can put one in the fridge and the other not? I thought olive oil was healthier so that's why I used it but to think of that solidifying inside my arteries is pretty gross.

I think that it is the cellulose...canola and vegetable come from plants, where olive oil comes from a tree. Olive oil is much healthier for us. I am not sure if pure vs. extra virgin would make a difference, but whenever I have accidentally used it (and I get all dif kinds of olive oil) they always solidify in the fridge.Ann - where are you and your brains on this one? She will have a scientific explanation:)

Hey, Bee, don't worry. Your body temperature is much higher than the fridge. Olive oil is liquid at room temperature and more "slushy" than solid at 40 degrees. The olive oil won't solidify in your body unless, of course, your body temperature drops below about 50 degrees.

raebates said:
Hey, Bee, don't worry. Your body temperature is much higher than the fridge. Olive oil is liquid at room temperature and more "slushy" than solid at 40 degrees. The olive oil won't solidify in your body unless, of course, your body temperature drops below about 50 degrees.

..and then you have a whole 'nother set of problems...

jenniferknapp said:
I think that it is the cellulose...canola and vegetable come from plants, where olive oil comes from a tree. Olive oil is much healthier for us. I am not sure if pure vs. extra virgin would make a difference, but whenever I have accidentally used it (and I get all dif kinds of olive oil) they always solidify in the fridge.

Ann - where are you and your brains on this one? She will have a scientific explanation:)
Olive oil actually comes from the FRUIT of a tree. It's pressed out of the olives.

The solidifying thing is probably because of the type of fat molecule that olive oil is versus canola oil. There are mono-unsaturated fats, saturated fats, etc. They all react differently to things (which is why you can't deep fry in extra virgin olive oil - it breaks down at lower heat than peanut oil, for instance).

I'm writing myself a note to look this one up in my books when I get home from work.

sushimommy said:
..and then you have a whole 'nother set of problems...
That's exactly what I was thinking!
:D

OK, folks. I did a little research (very little - I just pulled a couple books off my shelf at home) and this is what I found.

Brilliant Food Tips and Cooking Tricks by David Joachim (2003, Rodale, Inc.) has this to say about using solidified olive oil (p. 314):
To use solidified olive oil: Olive oil solidifies in the refrigerator, which can be seen as a drawback or an opportunity. Solidified olive oil makes a flavorful, cholesterol-free spread that is also low in saturated fat. Use solidified olive oil like butter. You can even stir in garlic, herbs, or other seasonings for flavor.​

I say yum to that!

The same book does indicate (p. 172):
To store oils: For the longest storage, keep all oils in the refrigerator, including olive and canola oils, but especially fragile nut oils such as walnut, macadamia nut, and almond. The cool temperature may make the oil solid or cloudy. If this happens, simply bring the oil to room temperature and it will become clear again. If your refrigerator is full, store oils in the next coolest, darkest spot.​

Additional information is found in The Penguin Companion to Food by Alan Davidson (2002, Penguin Books Ltd.). That book includes a 3 1/2 page section on fats and oils (pp. 347-350). One pertinent paragraph follows:
Oil can also be affected by low temperature. If it is kept in a cold place, some of the heavier molecules may fall below their solidification temperature. The oil clouds and a solid deposit forms at the bottom of the bottle. This does no harm, and the oil will reliquify if warmed.​

I hope this helps!

Wow Ann! I am impressed with that library that you have and the fact that you knew where to go to find all that out! I am such an internet girl that I don't think I'd remember how to use an encyclopedia if one was dropped in front of me! :)

I'm sure there's similar information on the internet, but I didn't feel like taking the time to verify things against several sites. Because the big problem with the internet is that anyone can make a web page and include information that isn't accurate. But books are usually fact-checked.

Ann are you or have you ever been a teacher, because man you would make a good one! I would never verify the internet info against other websites; granted I normally only go to reputable website, and not take my info from any crock's blog or site..

Actually, my degree is in Music Education. So, yes, I have had Education classes and completed a semester of student teaching. But that was ages ago.

I can totally tell! Your fact checking tells me education and your creative costumes scream that you are a very creative woman, which the music fits with... I'm sad that you're in wave 1... I think there should be a chef success wave ;)

p.s. proper attire huh? I don't think I have a chiquita hat yet... I'll have to add that to my to-do list :)

A coworker of mine is making me a fruit tiara. :D

That is awesome! We will definitely need to see a picture of that when you get it! I wonder what other things could be made to add to your "wardrobe"... How about a chef's outfit to match? Imagine the traffic you'd get at a booth with a satin chef's outfit maybe with fruit buttons and a fruit tiara or chiquita hat...

chefann said:
OK, folks. I did a little research (very little - I just pulled a couple books off my shelf at home) and this is what I found.

Brilliant Food Tips and Cooking Tricks by David Joachim (2003, Rodale, Inc.) has this to say about using solidified olive oil (p. 314):
To use solidified olive oil: Olive oil solidifies in the refrigerator, which can be seen as a drawback or an opportunity. Solidified olive oil makes a flavorful, cholesterol-free spread that is also low in saturated fat. Use solidified olive oil like butter. You can even stir in garlic, herbs, or other seasonings for flavor.​

I say yum to that!

The same book does indicate (p. 172):
To store oils: For the longest storage, keep all oils in the refrigerator, including olive and canola oils, but especially fragile nut oils such as walnut, macadamia nut, and almond. The cool temperature may make the oil solid or cloudy. If this happens, simply bring the oil to room temperature and it will become clear again. If your refrigerator is full, store oils in the next coolest, darkest spot.​

Additional information is found in The Penguin Companion to Food by Alan Davidson (2002, Penguin Books Ltd.). That book includes a 3 1/2 page section on fats and oils (pp. 347-350). One pertinent paragraph follows:
Oil can also be affected by low temperature. If it is kept in a cold place, some of the heavier molecules may fall below their solidification temperature. The oil clouds and a solid deposit forms at the bottom of the bottle. This does no harm, and the oil will reliquify if warmed.​

I hope this helps!

That is great to know....because when I accidentally made some dressing with olive oil and put it in the fridge....I threw it out after it solidified! Thanks Anne :)

GourmetGirl said:
I can totally tell! Your fact checking tells me education and your creative costumes scream that you are a very creative woman, which the music fits with... I'm sad that you're in wave 1... I think there should be a chef success wave ;)

p.s. proper attire huh? I don't think I have a chiquita hat yet... I'll have to add that to my to-do list :)

I think they're afraid to have all of us together in one place. Can you imagine trying to get that crowd under control? KG andI would be in one corner trading puns. Ann would be in another giving advice about the appropriate costume to wear for each themed show. Jillysue would be advising another group on the best way to organize and label everything in your home, garage, shed, etc. And poor Beth would be valiantly trying to keep us all in line. Chaos, I tell you. Chaos.

Safflower oil does not solidify in the refrigerator... I learned this from my last host! We made the Raspberry Vinegarette ( Salad Recipe cards -discontinued) and she had that oil...and taught me ...I ran out and bought some!! Now my MM&P is full of dressing!!
Loving it!

I never knew that olive oil would soilidfy. I use it here and there but never thought much about it. WOW!

I fyou use 1/2 EVOO ( for the flavor) and 1/2 Canola (or veg), it will not solidify...

Thanks Ann for the explanation. Since I'm not planning a trip to the South Pole anytime soon, I guess the olive oil can be eaten. My husband loves the homemade dressing and I thought it would be healthier than what's in the store.

Next time, I'll use the canola oil.

I bet one of our PC Canola oils - just half/half maybe - would add some nice flavor to dressings...

I made the Ceasar one on the Mix 'n Pour and HATED it! That is the only reason I got it when I hosted before I became a consultant. Wish I had of known I could return it, ha!

ChefNic said:
I bet one of our PC Canola oils - just half/half maybe - would add some nice flavor to dressings...

I LOVE the Garlic oil we have! I use it by itself on salads.

Related to Mix & Pour Italian Dressing: Is it Normal For It To Solidify?

1. Is it normal for the Mix & Pour Italian Dressing to solidify?

Yes, it is normal for the dressing to solidify. This is due to the natural separation of oil and vinegar in the dressing, and it can easily be fixed by shaking the bottle before each use.

2. Can I still use the dressing if it has solidified?

Yes, you can still use the dressing if it has solidified. Simply shake the bottle well before using to redistribute the ingredients and restore the original consistency.

3. How long does it take for the dressing to solidify?

The time it takes for the dressing to solidify can vary depending on factors such as temperature and storage conditions. However, it typically takes a few days for the dressing to solidify.

4. Can I prevent the dressing from solidifying?

Unfortunately, there is no way to prevent the dressing from solidifying as it is a natural occurrence. However, storing the bottle in a cool, dry place can help slow down the process.

5. Is it safe to consume the dressing if it has solidified?

Yes, it is safe to consume the dressing if it has solidified. The solidification is simply a natural separation of ingredients and does not affect the safety or quality of the product.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Tanoi
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Sara Dawn
  • Bookings, Sales, Shows, Booths etc
Replies
Views
raebates
  • JAE